Does walking work

Caburygurl

Hi everyone I was wondering does walking work to loose weight. I can't afford the gym at current and hate running. If so what part of the body do you loose weight or tone?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

any exercise that gets your heart rate up including walking will help you lose weight and walking is a very good example as you can do it any where and any time regardless of your fitness level or budget. If you use your arms during your walks you will burn more calories and a good power walk will be a good all over work out and tone many muscle groups. you can add some ankle weights and hold some weights in your hands for extra assistance, or use hills and stairs in your walks ect, there is alot of variation to help keep your walks interesting. there are some dedicated walkers on this site so maybe take a look at them as they are very inspirational with fantastic results HTH

I agree, anything is much better than nothing! But I think the biggest thing to realise is that exercise is only part of the jigsaw, diet and healthy eating is essential!

You definitely don't need a gym, bodyweight exercises are a fantastic way to tone and build strength

Bodyrock.tv is a good site for free workouts using little or no equipment and can be done indoors!

Never let anyone else's fitness put you off, just do as much as you can and the weight will fall off and your whole body will tone up!

Alan

Thank you so much for your advice Alan , think I will start walking and then maybe get some weights from Argos . I will definitely check that website

walking is great. its free and easy. backpack with water in to add weight or as noted ankle weights

I use steve cotters encyclopedia of body weight exercise and most of these appear on youtube if you want guidance.

walking wont tone too much it burns cals and thats a start for anyone. you will burn the fat from wherever your body is predisposed to burn it - you cant spot reduce fat.

sarah-louise x said:
any exercise that gets your heart rate up including walking will help you lose weight and walking is a very good example as you can do it any where and any time regardless of your fitness level or budget. If you use your arms during your walks you will burn more calories and a good power walk will be a good all over work out and tone many muscle groups. you can add some ankle weights and hold some weights in your hands for extra assistance, or use hills and stairs in your walks ect, there is alot of variation to help keep your walks interesting. there are some dedicated walkers on this site so maybe take a look at them as they are very inspirational with fantastic results HTH

Thanks sarah for your advice

Back