Does your consultant weigh you herslf?

I don't know why people are uncomfortable being weighed by someone other than the consultant? I'm sure it's not someone different each week!

If it's a question of knowing your weight, you need to be reassured that the weigh in person takes no notice of the numbers. They are just numbers and once written down they are forgotten. Certainly by me anyway!! I couldn't tell you what people weigh in my group, it is of no interest to me.

I think ages ago we had a thread on here which said that people felt their weight would be discussed amongst circles of people at the class, I though this was dreadful and I'm sure it doesn't (and shouldn't) happen.

I think ages ago we had a thread on here which said that people felt their weight would be discussed amongst circles of people at the class, I though this was dreadful and I'm sure it doesn't (and shouldn't) happen.

At one point, not sure if it happens now, but the person doing the weighing had to sign a confidentiality agreement to be able to do it - to stop just this from happening.

I have no problem at all and yes it is always the same misery who weighs me ;)

Ive never been to SW classes but when I did go to WW classes I absolutely HATED the idea of a class member weighing me or having my card. I always felt theyd be looking at me and judging me. Then I got asked to help at classes and realised as a helper youre so blooming busy you have neither the time nor the inclination to remember what anyone weighs :)

Last edited:
Jaylou, personally I begrudged paying a weekly fee to be weighed by someone who was not trained to be a C. I then sat and waited and waited and waited for image therapy, when she simply called out the results. Then class was over. I couldn't work out what I was paying for!

At ww, I was able to talk to the leader at the scales as much as I needed, which suited me personally. And she keeps the newbies behind after for a chat so shes able to have one on one time with members. I suppose because ww is so uncomplicated they can do this, as it doesn't take long to explain.

Someone above mentioned that you could have that discussion during image therapy, well personally I wouldn't have felt comfortable as I often discussed private things with the leader.

Everyones different, thats just my personal opinion. But clearly plenty of people feel differently as sw is very very very popular!!!

But its the reason that I would never want to be a sw C but would love to be a ww leader.

we have 2 other ladys weigh us while our consultant dose the inductions then we have class after and we have 2 classes now as our class got to big. i dont mind as i always get a text or an email saying well done or if i gained or stayed the same asking if i need any help

I went along to my first SW class 10 days ago, I joined paid and then sat through almost 2 hours ! ! ! ! of the class leader individually talking to the members about their weight/gain/sts week. Talk about boring! ! There was no "image" therapy that I could see and no incentive for me to want to stay. I had a really bad first week, terrible IBS, constipation etc etc, and I lost a pound (I think - as I didn't bother going back for a weigh in as I was so disillusioned by the whole thing).

I went along to my first SW class 10 days ago, I joined paid and then sat through almost 2 hours ! ! ! ! of the class leader individually talking to the members about their weight/gain/sts week. Talk about boring! ! There was no "image" therapy that I could see and no incentive for me to want to stay. I had a really bad first week, terrible IBS, constipation etc etc, and I lost a pound (I think - as I didn't bother going back for a weigh in as I was so disillusioned by the whole thing).

That is actual the image therapy, though 2 hours is quite long! Perhaps the group is large?
If I were you I would go back. Give it time, you may get used to it. I have always found it helpful listening to others and their problems and hits they may have.

Hi Sonia, no the group is not particularly large, about 24 of us were there. I have hearing problems and as it was a rather large hall it was being held in I found it very difficult to either hear or understand what was being said.

I don't feel that this is the group for me at the moment, but well done on your losses x

Eeee no I'd feel awful then!
Im happy for her to stay miserable as long as im still losing weight!

We get weighed by a helper, it's never bothered me. It's just numbers to her... I mean how could she actually really possibly remember all the weights of everyone every week?! Most of the time it's the same person.

I actually really enjoy IT, I don't know if it's because it means I actually get to get out of the house and talk to real people!!

in our class the consultant weighs you, everyone sits down has a natter until everyone has been weighed. New members are given the pack and weighed. she then does image therapy and new members stay behind for 15 mins so she can go through it.
Personally i like it best like that. :]

Hi Sonia, no the group is not particularly large, about 24 of us were there. I have hearing problems and as it was a rather large hall it was being held in I found it very difficult to either hear or understand what was being said.

I don't feel that this is the group for me at the moment, but well done on your losses x

Thanks Cheryl.
You are right, perhaps there is another group you can try. Good luck, anyway, and well done on your huge loss!

In our group there is one person who takes the money, two people who sell HiFi Bars and magazines and raffle tickets, and another who does the weighing. The consultant sits at a separate table and either does the new members talk, or if there aren't any new members then she is available for anyone who wants to have a one-to-one chat. She will also have a chat with individual people after the class, while her husband is loading all the stuff into the car.

Our "weighing lady" is lovely, very supportive and helpful, and very discreet - she would not dream of gossiping about the members or mentioning their weight to anyone and is never judgmental. She is also very knowledgeable, and on one occasion she ran the class when the consultant was taken ill suddenly and had to go home.

Our consultant has often said that she doesn't know how she would manage without her helpers. Consultants are encouraged to recruit a small "committee" of helpers - it is really impossible for the consultant to do everything herself.

Our consultant doesnt weigh us in, a helper, (who is absolutely lovely) does it while she speaks to new members. However, our consultant always speaks to everyone in the talk after. Works quite well for this class, but i have to say that i would hate to be weighed by someone who is miserable and doesnt put you at ease. my sis and i are always so nervous getting weighed :Dxx

Back