Dog walkers

chubbyemma

Silver Member
do we have any doggie walkers on the forum?

Really fed up and sad and everything else feeling today.

last night took my 2 doggies out and had them on leads. my biggest is a 13 stone french mastiff hes a big lad but a gentle giant and my other is a little cross.

well we were in woods and a doberman came running from nowhere and attacked my little dog.

he was biting him and ragging him, i was screaming and trying to drag him away from doberman. my big dog went into protection mode for me and would not move, he stood in front of me to protect me, my poor little dog was getting pulled and bit.

young lad came running to get his dog and it went for him and he couldnt pull it away. eventually he did get him away and he mumbled sorry.

well i was in such a state, what should i do about think should i report it do you think?

maybe i should have let my dogs off to defend there self i just dont know.

cleaned my little dogs wounds up and its nothing to deep but im so upset.

photo of my babies for you to see

Attachments

• 31072010293.jpg
    31072010293.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 85
That is awful Emma. So traumatising for you and the dogs and the young boy.

If the dog turned on it's owner I would definitely report it and do it now whilst your small dogs wounds can still be seen. Also take photos of him.

By taking action you could be saving the life of another dog or god forbid of a child.

I hope your little doggie is o.k. today.

Hugs to you all xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry so to here about your doggie. I am a dog walker and a lover of all cannies.

I have to say unless the lad reports the attack himself, and was injured. The police will take no action.

My mothers dog was attached by two huskies, that had either escaped from their owner or kicked out of the house whilst owner at work.

The injuries on my moms dog (Molly)was so bad, that she died that night and there was nothing the Vet could do for the Molly.

The thing is these huskies, turned on my mom. Where mom lives there is a chemist shop. The chemist was opening for business, could see what was happening and let my mom into the shop, closing the door on the two huskies. Who continued to wait outside the shop. The chemist was a witness to the dog attack and attack on my mom (thankfully no injuries on mom but a torn coat). The chemist telephoned the police and they didnt even come out. My mom was told as she had no injuries, the law will only take action against dog owners, if an injury to a person occurs. It is wrong but that is the law apparently.

I don't think you would get any were reporting the attack and may leave you feeling even more upset.
Defra, UK - Dangerous dogs Have a look at this link, it is so unfar and the law needs to be changed.
:wave_cry::wave_cry:

Other legislation

Under the Town Police Clauses Act of 1847 it is an offence for any person in any street: to let an unmuzzled ferocious dog be at large so that it obstructs or annoys the residents or passengers in the street or puts them in danger; or to set on or to urge any dog to attack, worry or put in fear any person or animal. A dog will not be at large while it is held on a lead. The word 'street' here is given an extended meaning to include any road, square, court, alley, thoroughfare or public passage.
In the Metropolitan

I go this from Defra. Have I misunderstood it or taken it out of context.

I feel very strongly you should go to the police. You would never forgive yourself if a child was maimed or killed by this dog.

Print that off from the Defra website and go armed with it.

hi guys,

Fillymum, point is you should report it for your own peace of mind. I also would not want to see any other animal or child, adult Hurt by uncontrolled dogs.

But I hope you don't get too up set, when the police disregard your complaint. The question you need to ask yourself is, A). Do I know who owns the dog, B). Will the young lad support any claims.

I don't blame the dog, as much as I blame unresponsible owners.

At the end of the day, unless another adult, child is harmed. The police will not act. It is not right and I feel for your frustration but that is the truth.

Hope your dog, has no lasting effects.
:wave_cry:

thanks for the information guys.

i have read through the Defra information with intreast.

i rang the police and they took details and they said that whilst there was not a lot they could do until i find the dogs owner, they appreciated me reporting it and to contact me again with any more information i can get.

so now i will try to track down the dogs owners, i spoke to other dog walkers this morning and they have seen the guy walking his dog regluar so i will keep my eye out. dont really know what i could do to track him to his home, as im scared to get anywhere near him and his dog.

apparently few monthes ago it had another dog by the neck, so im going to try and see what i can do about this. im guessing not a flaming lot

made me sad to read about poor wee Molly dying from her injuries poor wee thing!

it just makes me so mad as a owner of a large breed, the bad name they get, when mine is a big softie. i do not hold it against the dog its the owners most of the time.

blame the deed not the breed.

so now i will try to track down the dogs owners, i spoke to other dog walkers this morning and they have seen the guy walking his dog regluar so i will keep my eye out. dont really know what i could do to track him to his home, as im scared to get anywhere near him and his dog.

apparently few monthes ago it had another dog by the neck, so im going to try and see what i can do about this. im guessing not a flaming lot

If you can contact the owner of the pother dog that was hurt you can go to the police together.

If you are too frightened to go near the guy others must be too. What a sad state of affairs.

If you can't do anything it makes a mockery of the law and living in a democratic society.

Good Luck Emma you can do it.

hugs xxxcxxxx

As a responsible owner of 2 very large breed (devil:rolleyes: ) dogs... It infuriates me when irresponsible people like this lad allows his dog to do this. I never let my dogs off lead even though I trust them, I always remember some-one once saying to me that no-one every forgives the big dog. Your poor dog was merrily minding his own business, I do think you should persue this, as others have said, I don't call for dogs to be put down, jsut for owners to be held accountable. It was his actions that allowed the dog to be off lead. Yours were not, I do always say to people who allow their dogs to come rushing up to mine (you know the ones who say stupid things like, Oh its ok, they're friendly, when all your dog can see is another dog rushing to "attack" them) Well thats Ok then, but if it kicks off, I'm letting mine have a free a reign as yours has, that always makes them put them on lead. Sorry, bit of a rant, its my pet hate, I have no issue with responsible dog owners, and people allowing their dogs to be off lead, but you have to remember that we cannot always sense what dogs can sense, what may appear to be a friendly tail wag, could be a keep away from me warning. All is not always as it seems in the doggy world.
I do hope your little one isn't too traumatised by the whole thing, I would say - easier said than done I knoe, but try not to get too tense if you see it again as your dog will pick up on it and may react badly. Good luck xxx

im glad you get my frustration pammyd because im getting fed up off dogs running uncontroled whilst i do my best to be responsible!

its the minority that do this, but it only takes a incident like this to knock my confidence.

i know what you mean about not tensing up next time i see the dog, but today i found myself on edge and even turning around or crossing the road when i saw another dog.

shall have to sort this out as your right my dogs will react.

what kind of doggies do you have?

i posted on another post a few weeks ago. my sons were chased by a Bull Mastiff of whom the owners had left the back gate open, if it wasnt for my husband running and getting between my 4 year old and the dog, god knows what would have happened. the dog left my son at this point and turned its' attention on my dog, but it didnt bite my dog as its owner came out.

still waiting for the police to contact me, this happened on July 14. the dog warden said that they were only interested in the dog on dog attack.
cant win can you.

How frightening for you. I have two small dogs and I always worry when I see a big dog off lead, unless the owner clearly has it under control. I do agree that it is the owner who is at fault, not the dog, but that doesn't help you when your little guy is being attacked.
Definitely photograph your dog's wounds and definitely pursue.
By the way - is your little guy a border terrier?

The dog should not have been off it's lead.
I don't let my dog off the lead for several reasons - she's a little bug*er and doesn't come back, she absolutely loves to play with all big dogs (she's little) but hates little dogs and could snap, she's jumps up people in a very playful manner but not everyone likes this.
She is a wonderful, friendly and loving dog but as a responsible owner I know she can be a pain, so I keep her on the lead.

My (rambling) point - this dog should have been on a lead for a start, if not muzzled. It makes me so cross!!!! If the dog is walked regularly then you'll be able to trace the owner I hope.

So glad you, your dogs and the boy are all okay hun. xx

The dog should not have been off it's lead.
I don't let my dog off the lead for several reasons - she's a little bug*er and doesn't come back, she absolutely loves to play with all big dogs (she's little) but hates little dogs and could snap, she's jumps up people in a very playful manner but not everyone likes this.
She is a wonderful, friendly and loving dog but as a responsible owner I know she can be a pain, so I keep her on the lead.

My (rambling) point - this dog should have been on a lead for a start, if not muzzled. It makes me so cross!!!! If the dog is walked regularly then you'll be able to trace the owner I hope.

So glad you, your dogs and the boy are all okay hun. xx

Your dog sounds exactly like mine!
It annoys me so much that these irresponsible owners let their dogs off lead when they are aggresive to other dogs, I can't beleive they let it happen again when it has happened before to another dog.
I don't like it when people let their dog just run over to me with my dog, I don't know if they are friendly or not.
Its even worse that it went for its own owner too, its only a matter of time before something really bad happens with this dog if the owners continue to be so irresponsible.

I am the owner of 2 big(ish) dogs and we walk them in the woods near us and as soon as we are in there they are off the lead as they are big dogs and need running. However, they are also very obedient dogs and have excellent recall and they are both of a very gently nature. I would never let my dogs off their leads if they were aggressive or wouldn't come back to me when told to do so!
We went to obedience training when we got our first dog and think this helped immensely.

I am really sorry to hear about your dog :( - I really hope that something can be and is done about this! I don't believe there is any such thing as a bad dog - just a bad owner and bad owners need to be held accountable for their dogs actions! If people haven't got time for their pets they really shouldn't have one!
Let us know how you get on and good luck with getting some justice!

i have a problem with my dog, she is 10months old and loves other dogs and people. she does run up to other dogs and licks them but when i call she comes straight back. any tips on getting her to stop running and licking other dogs would be greatly appreciated. she cant be kept on the lead as she needs to run.

Emma, you poor thing, that sounds awful, I don't know how people can be so irresponsible with their dogs! I know dogs need plenty of exercise, but if you have a dog like that you just cant let it off the lead, they should get one of those extendable ones or something. I definitely think you should keep persuing this, especially as the dog has done it before and the owners clearly aren't taking their dogs behaviour/temperament seriously.

I have a Springer spaniel and my hubby and I were out walking her once when she got attacked by a terrier of some sort. We were walking up a hill and at the top was a gate. This terrier got to the gate and spotted my dog (Pip) and made a bolt for her, under the gate and down the hill. Pip is a wonderful, well behaved dog and when she sees other dogs is usually the submissive one. So she lay down on the ground, but this dog ran up to her and started jumping all over her and biting her. She was trying to run away but couldn't and she was crying for us to help her. The owners were quite a way off and so took a while to reach where we were (didn't seem to be in that much of a hurry). Then they just stood there trying to call their dog, who of course didn't listen as it was fixed on Pip. In the end my husband had to lift Pip up in the air (shes not that small!) to get her out of harms way. But the dog was still trying to get her and ended up biting and scratching my husbands legs!! The owners were absolutely hopeless!! I was fuming and they said nothing! Poor Pip looked like she was covered in blood (she is all white with a brown head and tail) but thankfully they were only small wounds. I was even more annoyed when two days later we walked her again and we saw the same dog up ahead, off its lead, and it bolted for her again! We saw it coming and my husband picked Pip up straight away, but no one should have to do that because other owners cant be bothered to keep their dogs under control.

Gosh that was long, lol. I hope you get some sort of result with this Emma, although I fear the police don't really care about things like that :( Hope your little one is ok now, and your photo of them is sooo cute :)

Firstly, omgosh- how beautiful are you doggys.

I SO get where your coming from, i have a little mini dashchund, who i LOVE, shes my baby. About a year ago, i was taking her for a walk at the common. I had her on the lead, one of those stretchy ones so she could run around abit but we hadnt had her long at the time and didnt feel comfortable letting her off.

out of no where, a staffy came out of nowhere, and attacked her. my poor boo was crying and whimpering and was getting caught up in the lead whilst she struggeled to get free. I dont know where i got the strength from, or even the courage, but i pulled the staffy off, getting bit and scratched in the meantime, grabbed my puppy, in the mean time the owner had casually walked over. It was an old man, and i had expected him too atleast appologise. He didnt care, i was hysterical, crying and scared and having never expieranced anything like that before.. he said i was making a big deal out of nothing, that he was playing and that i should get a 'real' dog. I was SO angry, if he thinks thats playing then he shouldnt be allowed to keep dogs.. luckily my Boo wasnt hurt badly.. but shes never gotten over it, and now.. we can only let her off the lead when there is no one else about, because any sign of another doggy or a man and she bolts.. so much so once my sister whos only 14 was caught out on her own, and boo bolted out of the common and across a busy road, all the way home. My sister was really shook up that boo had completly ignored her calls to come back and that she could have been run over.

erugh, still makes me REALLY mad. .. but nothing i could do.. stupid old man :(:(

hi guys thanks for replys and support,

im horrified at the storys about your wee babies getting attacked.brought a tear to my eye to think of the poor things getting attacked poor boo and pip, it makes me so mad.

i have not walked my doggies in woods for last few days for fear off bumping into that man and his dog, so i havent made any progress, oh is however on the look out for him and im dreading to think what will happen if he eventually finds him.

dog walking is getting not a pleasure for me anymore its a flaming nightmare irresponsible owners who just dont have any common sense.

my dogs are not perfect, they can be little s***s, but at least i dont let them run riot.

meadowbankles my wee sidney is a cross between a patterdale and a jack russel so hes a little patterjack bless him

I keep my pooch on an expanding lead as he's a little b*gger and won't come when I call him, so better safe than sorry.
BUT what really really REALLY annoys me is when children come and pet him without asking my permission first.
My two were brought up to ask first, as I know not every dog is child-friendly, and feel that all children should be taught this rule.
P.s. my dog is friendly, but would prob lick an admirer to death!

Back