DOING SW FROM HOME???

Thank you! Really starting to feel like my old self again.

I'm doing it on my own too, only been doing this a week and lost half a stone, people have said they can see the difference (how strange! I can't) without even knowing I was on a diet or had actually lost weight :) Good luck to everyone doing Slimming World on their own, and congrats to all who've been managing to lose and maintain without groups :)

Managed to lose 6lb this week - VERY happy but also quite embarrassed because to be honest it really wasn't deserved. I've had a bad couple of days. I think it's because last week I weighed in the evening and noted a 4lb gain which probably wasn't very accurate due to time of day, so I hadn't really gained that much. Very happy though either way. 2 stone award. :)

Well Done!! Any loss is deserved so don't put yourself down! Were all gunna have good n days days & weeks so I'd be made up right now if I was u!
I'm apprehensive about this weeks weigh in again as I've really stuck to the diet but had a few drinks again last night and I'll prob have a few tonight but the way I see it is you can't be too strict on yourself all the time or you'll stop enjoying it and will end up quitting. That's the way I see it anyway! :)

Good Luck All, Well Done & keep up the Hard work!
X

I'm doing it on my own too, only been doing this a week and lost half a stone, people have said they can see the difference (how strange! I can't) without even knowing I was on a diet or had actually lost weight :) Good luck to everyone doing Slimming World on their own, and congrats to all who've been managing to lose and maintain without groups :)

That's brilliant!! Well done!!
I started on 26/04 an lost 4lbs at my 1st weigh in so was made up coz when I started it I though how can I lose weight when I'm still eating all the things I love! Just hope I cam keep it up now!
I weigh in on a Thurs am in work and it's like a slimming club so were all supporting eachother!
X

Thank you :) Aw that's amazing :D My weigh in is tomorrow... I know I've been a bit cheeky this week (nandos yesterday, which was relatively low syn, but turned into an alcohol fuelled all nighter :S) so fingers crossed I've had some kind of loss, or at least not a gain :)

I'm giving the plan a try on my own over the next 8 weeks while I'm on nights - Been to class 3 times in the past and always do well if I can get my head around it! Fingers crossed I've got my motivation back - woohoo

Elspeth x

I'm giving the plan a try on my own over the next 8 weeks while I'm on nights - Been to class 3 times in the past and always do well if I can get my head around it! Fingers crossed I've got my motivation back - woohoo

Elspeth x

Good Luck Elspeth! Were all behind you!
X

Cheers Tilly -I love this group for the support everyone gives to each other! Looking forward to getting to know you all over the coming weeks and months xx

Elspeth xx

I feel stuffed, I think I have eaten too much :(

I will go and get a few glasses of water in a minute hopefully flush all that meat through!

Hi all,

First time posting on MiniMins, but am re-starting SW (from home this time) as it worked for me last time.. Hope it'll be just as easy going it alone!
Any tips?

All the best with sw xbeckeex, its going to be my 2nd week , I have been a slow starter on this, hope it works for me too. But only time will tell ha ha x

Hey xbeckeex and fatgottago - good luck for this coming week! Maybe we can spur each other on?

Hello :)

I'm doing SW at home as I can't stand the awkwardness of meetings. I couldn't believe my luck when I found this forum! I'm really excited because although I have the red and green day book (probably pretty old by now), I don't know anyone else who is doing Slimming World and don't have anyone to mull over the trials and tribulations of the rules with. My husband and I are both doing the diet together and it's pretty much like the blind leading the blind... but hopefully now that will all change.

My back story is that I've had a particularly tough few years... well, lets not beat about the bush... a very tough few years which include loosing a parent, our house, my horse, my business, friends, having cancer and a baby. Over the last 4 years I've put on 5 stone and managed to eat my way out of fitting into any of my clothes. My husband, bless him, kept up with me pretty much pie for pie through it all, but he has less overall than me to loose. :(

After a few failed attempts at starting the diet last year, I saw pictures of myself over Christmas, had a very long cry (in fact it's making me well up as I type) and decided to pull myself together and get my life back on track. I started Slimming World on the 1st of January this year... assisted by the first of 3 bouts of the Norovirus (thanks to my son who likes to bring colds/illnesses back home like pets)... and have now lost over 2.5 stone! It may have taken me 4 years to put the weight on, but I'll be damned if it's going to take me 4 years to take it off again! ;D

I've started reading through all of your posts, but I think it's going to take me some time to read all 72 pages! I'm already on page 10 and I've learnt more about the diet in those few pages than I think I knew overall, so thanks so much for starting this forum. I really look forward to staying in the loop and hearing about how everyone's doing and learning about the tricks people have learnt of how to speed up their weight loss.

I've averaged about 1.4lbs loss per week so far, but I'm doing so much exercise I don't feel that that amount of loss is really justified. I go to zumba 3x a week, walk the dogs a few miles every day, go clubbing on Saturday nights and have replaced my front room coffee table with an exercise bike which I sit on and actually use if I have nothing else to do at night. I realise that muscle weighs more than fat (and I'm going to end up looking like SheRa at this rate!)... but I think that I'm probably doing something wrong with how I eat and I could do better. I know loosing weight quickly is not recommended or healthy (and God knows I don't want to end up with terrible shrink marks or saggy skin if I loose it too fast), but I can't help but wish I was loosing 2 pounds a week. I feel like I've spent enough time feeling unhappy and just want to get back to normal now. You can't blame a girl for wishing ;D

I realise that these questions have probably been asked time and time again... and if so, please could you direct me to some appropriate forums... but in the meantime, could you please tell me if you think what I am doing sounds reasonable?

I have done the red days since I started as I find them easiest. Do I have to vary the days?

Can you really eat as much meat/fruit/veg as you like throughout the day?

Someone mentioned that lattes were 10 syns. What lattes are these? Any? Even home made ones? Even if you have a small skinny latte?

Do you have to have 1/3 of your meal made up of superfree food if you are doing a red day? Or would you advise me to do it generally?

I am trying not to have many syns each day and have cut out alcohol completely. If you have 15 syns a day, do you loose weight slower?

Does anyone have a magic wand they could use to help make the weight fall off a bit faster?

In the meantime, I hope everyone has a really good week and looses weight and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

Gemma

Managed to lose 6lb this week - VERY happy but also quite embarrassed because to be honest it really wasn't deserved. I've had a bad couple of days. I think it's because last week I weighed in the evening and noted a 4lb gain which probably wasn't very accurate due to time of day, so I hadn't really gained that much. Very happy though either way. 2 stone award. :)

Well done Ellie!! :happy096:

Fabulous Laura! :clap:

Elspeth x

Good Luck Elsmar, don't forget to check in and keep a diary, post it on here if you get chance.

Hi all,

First time posting on MiniMins, but am re-starting SW (from home this time) as it worked for me last time.. Hope it'll be just as easy going it alone!
Any tips?

Hello and welcome! Keep a diary on here, start a thread and just post what you are eating and drinking. It helps but you need to be honest. :)
Hello :)

I'm doing SW at home as I can't stand the awkwardness of meetings. I couldn't believe my luck when I found this forum! I'm really excited because although I have the red and green day book (probably pretty old by now), I don't know anyone else who is doing Slimming World and don't have anyone to mull over the trials and tribulations of the rules with. My husband and I are both doing the diet together and it's pretty much like the blind leading the blind... but hopefully now that will all change.

My back story is that I've had a particularly tough few years... well, lets not beat about the bush... a very tough few years which include loosing a parent, our house, my horse, my business, friends, having cancer and a baby. Over the last 4 years I've put on 5 stone and managed to eat my way out of fitting into any of my clothes. My husband, bless him, kept up with me pretty much pie for pie through it all, but he has less overall than me to loose. :(

After a few failed attempts at starting the diet last year, I saw pictures of myself over Christmas, had a very long cry (in fact it's making me well up as I type) and decided to pull myself together and get my life back on track. I started Slimming World on the 1st of January this year... assisted by the first of 3 bouts of the Norovirus (thanks to my son who likes to bring colds/illnesses back home like pets)... and have now lost over 2.5 stone! It may have taken me 4 years to put the weight on, but I'll be damned if it's going to take me 4 years to take it off again! ;D

I've started reading through all of your posts, but I think it's going to take me some time to read all 72 pages! I'm already on page 10 and I've learnt more about the diet in those few pages than I think I knew overall, so thanks so much for starting this forum. I really look forward to staying in the loop and hearing about how everyone's doing and learning about the tricks people have learnt of how to speed up their weight loss.

I've averaged about 1.4lbs loss per week so far, but I'm doing so much exercise I don't feel that that amount of loss is really justified. I go to zumba 3x a week, walk the dogs a few miles every day, go clubbing on Saturday nights and have replaced my front room coffee table with an exercise bike which I sit on and actually use if I have nothing else to do at night. I realise that muscle weighs more than fat (and I'm going to end up looking like SheRa at this rate!)... but I think that I'm probably doing something wrong with how I eat and I could do better. I know loosing weight quickly is not recommended or healthy (and God knows I don't want to end up with terrible shrink marks or saggy skin if I loose it too fast), but I can't help but wish I was loosing 2 pounds a week. I feel like I've spent enough time feeling unhappy and just want to get back to normal now. You can't blame a girl for wishing ;D

I realise that these questions have probably been asked time and time again... and if so, please could you direct me to some appropriate forums... but in the meantime, could you please tell me if you think what I am doing sounds reasonable?

I have done the red days since I started as I find them easiest. Do I have to vary the days?

Can you really eat as much meat/fruit/veg as you like throughout the day?

Someone mentioned that lattes were 10 syns. What lattes are these? Any? Even home made ones? Even if you have a small skinny latte?

Do you have to have 1/3 of your meal made up of superfree food if you are doing a red day? Or would you advise me to do it generally?

I am trying not to have many syns each day and have cut out alcohol completely. If you have 15 syns a day, do you loose weight slower?

Does anyone have a magic wand they could use to help make the weight fall off a bit faster?

In the meantime, I hope everyone has a really good week and looses weight and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

Gemma

Hey Gemma, WELCOME to MiniMins! Phew you have had it rough haven't you? :( Here is a (((HUG))) - couldn't find the avatar! :eek:

Where do I start? Hmm OK....1.4lb is a brilliant loss every week so don't even 'go there'. I know it's great to have big losses and some weeks you will have them but averaging at 1.4lb is a good steady healthy loss.
Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It's a myth. A lb is a lb is a lb of anything. So a lb of feathers is the same as a lb of bricks.
Fat takes up more room in the body and muscle is leaner. Did you take your measurements? If not I would do it now and I will bet that you will be losing inches. I will copy and paste a post I wrote I will edit this later to include it for you which may explain things better for you.
If it's free food yes you can eat as much as you want but that doesn't mean that you should go silly. It's all about portion control and not just eating for the sake of it. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. :)
I only have green days as I am vegan so can't help you there.
You can make a latte yourself at home with your milk allowance. If you are on a green day you can have x2 A's so that's plenty for a couple of coffees. You can use sweetner or syn your sugar 1 tsp is 1 syn.
If I were you I would eat up ALL your syn allowance so that's 15 per day to start with. Otherwise when you want to have some wriggle room to reach your target you will have nothing to reduce. That's the time to reduce them. Also you don't want to feel like you are depriving yourself which you may do. You can use them for a glass of wine if you want or whatever tipple you like. I understand you have given up alcohol it's just to let you know you can still have some if you want. I tend to use mine for treats, margarine, sauce etc.
Keep a diary and post it on a thread on here. Slimming world food diaries is the thread you want to look for. Be honest even if you have had a crap day. We can help advise you, swap recipes etc etc. :D
There are tons of really good threads on here I am new myself so navigating is still being worked out. ;)
Fill up on super free veg and fruit and aim to eat that with your meals.
Can't think of anything else other than you are in the right place, hope this has helped..... :) Will edit this to add my post which will hopefully explain re the weight/inch loss. Good luck! x

Last edited:
Gemma this post is the one I mentioned above, thought I would add it separately because the one above is rather long....sorry for blabbing on! Hope this makes sense! :D

I have been working my butt off for a couple of months now. Firstly monitoring what I was walking and pushing myself that way and then the exercise bike (about 3 weeks). For the first I would say 4 weeks I never saw a change in the scales, I took my measurements when I started out and had also done some epic research on burning fat/toning muscle. As I knew that the scales (due to reading up on it) may not change as my body started to burn fat and tone the muscle I tried my hardest not to get despondent and kept repeating to myself that I was losing inches (and I was!). It's important for me to remember that it's not ALL about what the scales say, it's what I look and feel like too. This is why (in my opinion) that these diets and eating plans such as SW fall down in some respects because if someone sticks to plan and don't see any losses which are so heavily the focus when you go to group they get fed up and quit. They haven't been told that they could be losing inches and that on occasion our bodies don't show losses on the scales.
If you have a lot to lose it's often harder to tell initially too, the focus shouldn't be JUST on what the scales say. Consultants should be trained to educate people on INCH losses too and that weights can fluctuate. This is why I am not focused on a ''healthy BMI'' because it's fallible.
For example, two people could weigh the same but one could be unhealthier in the sense that they have a higher fat percentage in their body than someone the same weight who is of a higher proportion of muscle. Another example is that someone could weigh heavier than their similar counterpart because of muscle and so their BMI would fall into a higher category and be classed as obese but yet they are healthy. Hope I am explaining this in the right manner.
The myth that muscle weighs more than fat is nonsense. A lb is a lb of ANYTHING. Muscle is leaner and takes up less space in your body than fat does, but you could still weigh the same but look leaner, because you ARE leaner.
Sorry if I have waffled on, but I just thought I would explain things in case anyone else didn't know any of this. Don't become despondent if you ARE sticking to whatever plan you are on, are exercising or increasing your movement at least. The scales are NOT the be all and end all of being healthy and looking good. Take your measurements and the times when you are not showing on the scales check them, I will bet they have decreased. I have lost LOTS of inches (I will post in my diary when I get round to doing it). The scales do catch up eventually. ((((HUGS)))) :grouphugg:to you all and sorry again for my blabbing on! :eek:

PS
I personally try to make sure I eat more on the days that I have exercised HARD because I have found that if I don't then my weight loss does slow down. It's really difficult because I often don't want to. Its a difficult one I find. You need approx 1200 cals just for your body to function (at my height 4ft 11 not sure what it is for a taller person or weight differences) so if you eat say 1500 and then exercise 1000 back off that's putting you in a calorie deficit. If you do this regularly enough your metabolism will slow down as it thinks you are starving. You will then start to burn from muscles when you exercise as opposed to fat and you don't want that. This is all what I have read myself and I have done some epic research on it when I first started out as I was curious to why I was losing inches and not dropping weight (initially, I have caught up now). Hope this helps! xx

Fantastic reply Vegan4life xxx

I will definitey echoe everything said. Use your 15syns
Eat when you are hungry, not just for the sake of it
1.4lb average is good... Be happy and more importantly persevere.

Good luck with it xx

Back