DOING SW FROM HOME???

Girls, just looking for some help. I'm still really struggling with my syns. I never seem to have any during the day!!!
Sometimes I'd use 2 for some raisins on my all bran in the morn but that's it!!
Any dinners I make are syn free (not by choice, just the way the recipe is!) and I wouldn't have sandwiches for lunch so can't use them for sauces?
So I end up sitting at night when the kiddies are in bed and saying to myself: I better have some crisps, chocolate, biscuits etc to make up my syns for the day and I'm sure that's not how there meant to be used every night?!?!?!

Hi there

Do you want chocolate or crisps? That is the main question - if you want them have them, thats what the syns are there for to be used on things you want. If you do not wan these then I have hot chocolate, put some mini marshmallows on top. My night snack is usually packet of snack a jacks; flumps or a cookies n cream kitkat. Have a nice full fat yogurt instead of a muller. Different syns for different people. Read through the forums and you will have some awesome ideas. This is why this site is so great :)

Girls, just looking for some help. I'm still really struggling with my syns. I never seem to have any during the day!!!
Any dinners I make are syn free (not by choice, just the way the recipe is!) and I wouldn't have sandwiches for lunch so can't use them for sauces?
So I end up sitting at night when the kiddies are in bed and saying to myself: I better have some crisps, chocolate, biscuits etc to make up my syns for the day and I'm sure that's not how there meant to be used every night?!?!?!

That's how I use them! Just had 11 syns on an aero! :D only my second week but first weigh in I lost 6lb and every night when the kids go to bed I work out what chocolate or crisps I can have for my syns! I've usually got all 15 left as I don't use them through the day like you!

hahaha, I'm tempted to go for the fun of packing!

I do the same with shopping in lidl, no room so pack as the lady passes the stuff, note the word pass. As I said I probably will go tomorrow (if I get the right bus and get off at the right place, first time is always fun!) just so I can experience the speedy till service, see if the cashier can keep up with me!!

I was 13st 13.5 on sept 24th & am now 12st 3.5 - it's definitely possible :) I'm 5ft4 too & have the same target as you. I'm currently working towards getting to 11st5 by mid march :) xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Wow! Congratulations on your weight loss to date!

KK
x

That's how I use them! Just had 11 syns on an aero! :D only my second week but first weigh in I lost 6lb and every night when the kids go to bed I work out what chocolate or crisps I can have for my syns! I've usually got all 15 left as I don't use them through the day like you!

Oh yeah! That's what I meant to say as well - that is perfectly ok to use them like that too - if you get to the end of the day having used no syns, that's like perfect to me! I always crave bad food late at night :p

Oh yeah! That's what I meant to say as well - that is perfectly ok to use them like that too - if you get to the end of the day having used no syns, that's like perfect to me! I always crave bad food late at night :p

Perfect for me too, love that I can have choccie every day if I want to, and I always crave it at night!! I like saving one of my HEB (or half of one at least!) for "supper" too incase I'm actually hungry, then I can still have my syns too :)

Try making your 3 main meal portions a whole lot smaller, you may find you start to actually want something that is not class has free food in the evening. What was your food vice before SW, what's the food types that put you in a position where you wanted to lose weight?. Consider using your syns towards a take away. I think the jury is out on whether to eat all your syns everyday or in lump sums once or twice a week. Some eat there's everyday some save them up and use them on take away or alcohol. I tend to use them in a lump sum 2-3 times a week on chocolate of sweets. You don't HAVE to use your syns you know, they're are there just to make the journey easier if you are feeling deprived of something. But if you feel better using them, then eat less free foods and smaller portions of the stuff you do eat. I wish I had this problem lol :) xx

Thanks so much for replies, it's great to get other people's opinions and see what other people do.
I like the idea of using olive oil to fry instead of frylight actually because I've been struggling with the frylight!
I do love my chocolate and my wine though so I do still want to keep some for them but I think I'm going to try and incorporate them into my meals somehow a bit more?

Must admit the Aldi challenge is fun!

I have to go on two buses with my shopping trolley as I don`t drive! I always take a couple of extra baga just incase I get too much for my poor trolley! :)

You don't HAVE to use your syns you know, they're are there just to make the journey easier if you are feeling deprived of something. But if you feel better using them, then eat less free foods and smaller portions of the stuff you do eat. I wish I had this problem lol :) xx
It is best to use them so your body is getting a balanced diet and if yu are not losing a week then you can cut them down a bit otherwise you are stuck an dcan't cut down on anything else to boost your losses.

It is best to use them so your body is getting a balanced diet and if yu are not losing a week then you can cut them down a bit otherwise you are stuck an dcan't cut down on anything else to boost your losses.

I was always told that the healthy extras and array of free foods made both the original/green plans balanced enough without having to or needing to use the syns... but hey ho! It seems for every SW consultant that says one thing there's probably another one somewhere else contradicting it lol :) I always have my syns would feel too much like a diet if I didn't. That's why I love SW, because it puts you in control and lets you make the choices that best suit :)

From my original consultant, I understood the syns were to do with synergy:

"Synergy is the working together of two things to produce a greater result than the sum of their individual effects"

So the syns play an important part in the balanced diet... :) as well as giving you a little of what you like ;-)

You're right though- not all consultants gonna have the same take... Who knows?!

ooh, just found this bit on a review/description of SW....

'Syns is shorthand for synergy - Slimming World believes it's the synergy between the three components of the plan, ie. Free Foods, Healthy Extras and Syns, that makes Food Optimising effective at enabling weight loss. Nevertheless, many of the Syns are effectively what other diet plans would call 'treats'. But Syns also includes foods found in the Healthy Extras, allowing you to eat bigger portions of these foods if you want them.'

From my original consultant, I understood the syns were to do with synergy:

"Synergy is the working together of two things to produce a greater result than the sum of their individual effects"

So the syns play an important part in the balanced diet... :) as well as giving you a little of what you like ;-)

If I stuck to all the variations of explanations Ive been given for this plan from all the consultants Ive encountered since I first discovered SW back in 1992 I'd of lost the plot with confusion and shear contradiction lol.

But Whatever works for you Hayleysm and using your syns within your meals on olive oil etc sounds like a good idea :) x

As long as you base your eating plan on SW priniples then you are on the right track and it does not matter which books you have. Last year this time, when I started the plan, my books were about 10-12 years old. I refer them from time to time but normally, eat what I fancy during the day and then converting to SW when writing my diary.

What I believe is we need to come to terms with our food ideas. I used to eat junk because I could not be bothered with cooking and bought easy conveient things like cakes, bread and sometimes ready meals. gradually, over the past year, I have made realised that food is not my main priority and have changed my eating habits. Also this is a lifestyle change and the plan is here to stay for good. SW is about teaching us how to eat properly and corporate treats into our every day life (syns we are allowed). If we look at the plan in a logical manner, we good wholesome food (fruits, veg, meat, dairy products, carbs and some treats). If you follow this sensible lifestyle then after losing the excess weight, one can maintain it. However, after losing the desired amount, one goes back to old habits then surely the weight problem come back.

This is something that I have done for me and may not work for others but here it goes:
- Make all meals from scratch (certain things I can't like bread, cereals, etc)
- Eat what I fancy, most days follow EE as I can have a balance meal (not worried about too much carb, protien, etc)
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits & veg
- Drink at least 4-5 glasses of water plus tea, coffee
- Avoid sweetners and processed food as much as possible (occasionally have muller light, option or processed food). These have additives and hold on to food and water
- Avoid artificial meat (Know everyone rave about them and think cheaper than meat but in reality they workout fairly expensive and after all they are man made)
- I eat big portion of food (now try to fill my plate with veg & salad). One of the reasons I lov this eating plan
- Eat WM pitta brea, bread, muffins, wraps, etc (never like white bread that much except french stick)
- Taken up gentle exercise (walking & sometimes exercise bike 10-15 minutes). Heavy exercise is as bad as a fad diet - one gets in shape whilst exercising but when stopped out of shape again
- Christmas, Easter and other festive times eat perhaps a little bit more but not stuffing myself. Additional calories will not be kind to me and make me miserable later which leads to more overeating and plan out of the window
- Happy with my losses and will not compare to others of same height and weight. Each person losses at a different rate due to a number of factors
- My losses are slow but the way I look at the slower the longer I can maintain
- Used to expect a miracle but have learnt that this game is hard and needs to be worked at. I had to work at it (mainly my relation with food) and let it happens gradually. Yes I am a human being too and from time to time I fall off the wagon, get depressed about not losing, tempted by goodies out there but when I fall down, I go back on plan staright away otherwise is going to be hard.
- Plans and allowances can change but as long as I am following the main principles then I can work around them and continue to enjoy eating what I want - For the rest of my life, I can't avoid eating pitta, cerals, corn beef, etc because the plan tells me not too (just have to corporate them in my daily plan in a way that will not jepordise my losses)
- Keep a diary on the forum. Main reason is for me to refer back to it on occasions that I am not losing or run out of recipes. However, if others come and look at it then it is fine by me as either they are giving me good advice or learning from what I am doing. After all, my friends on the forum have supported me all this time and helped me to lose the weight I have.
- Not worried what the charts or doctors think is the right weight for me. Those charts were developed a few years after the war when people were still under nourished and had certain foods to eat. I look in the mirror on a regular basis and go by how I feel about my weight. Have set up my own target and when I get there and even before I can review it to suit me and nobody else
- Do not attend group for several reasons - The main reason being that this is is something I need to do on my own (learn & maintain and find my relationship with food). Went to groups years ago and was doing fine as long as I attended and as soon as I stopped went back to my old habits and gained. I put the group money aside and when I achieve a mini goal trat myself to something non-food related (kindle, set of dishes, pair of boots, etc)

So far have lost over 4 stone (average of 1.1 lbs per week) and very happy with myself as got my confidence back, am very healthy, full of energy, positivity, eating more than ever of the food that I love. By no means I am slender (loads of lumps and bumps) and never to be a model but as long as I can fit into size 14 comfortably without the bulges shown I am happy.

Sorry to have gone on a bit but I thought, my story might be helpful to new starters. I would invite you to look at my diary to see my eating routines (I put actual portion size of my meals on there) but as I am in Silver member section, which means you need to have 500 posts to be able to access. However, I am here if you need any help and will support you to get to your target.

Good luck and please let me know if I can be of any help - I am on here most evenings for a couple of hours and some weekends.

I think you're an awesome example :) such a good attitude, you are quite right xxxx

Oh pants! Bacon butty (white bread - wince) fish and chips, bagel and cream cheese....no fruit, veg or nearly enough water. That's the effect that a rubbish day at work with a bad tempered boss has done to me:cry:I'll have to try and eat just veg and salad and drink water tomorrow. Oh joy.

Tell me about it! Not eating until 5 means I was ravenous this evening.. Weetabix and milk, tomato soup and bread. Small wmeal loaf but still. Argh! X

Ooh I'm nervous about WI tomorro...sneaky peak shows STS...I know I've been a bit naughty but was hoping I may get a loss...well soon see tomorro won't we! X

Well I gained 3.2lbs but in two days its totm so I always do. At least I know it's that and not my eating so I'm guessing I'll also have remained the same for next week as well, and looking for a loss the following week.

Oh well, off to have an adventrue at Aldi

Back