DOING SW FROM HOME???

I have a question for anyone that uses a slow cooker please.........

I've just bought one and had a read through the instructions and it says that any liquid has to be boiling before going in so basically I have to do it all on the hob - which I think is pointless, then transfer it (half cooked) to the slow cooker to cook it fully??

Is this the norm with them?? I thought I could just throw in all the ingredients cold, switch it on and leave it!!!

I`ve never done it on the hob. I usually make my stock with boiling water and chuck everything in!

Sometimes the liquid is a bit runny and I`ve had to thicken it. But usually I put in less stock than recommended, you can always add more!

I have a question for anyone that uses a slow cooker please.........

I've just bought one and had a read through the instructions and it says that any liquid has to be boiling before going in so basically I have to do it all on the hob - which I think is pointless, then transfer it (half cooked) to the slow cooker to cook it fully??

Is this the norm with them?? I thought I could just throw in all the ingredients cold, switch it on and leave it!!!

It's just because if you put everything straight from the fridge, it'll take a while for it to get up to a temperature to cook it properly - just means it might take a while longer, that's all :) I do my stock with water from the kettle, like Grannie says, then things like passata etc I just put in straight from the cupboard :) Hope this helps! Just say if you have any more questions x

Same as Laura! If I'm adding stock it's hot anyway, and chopped tomatoes are room temp , just chuck it all in, it'll be fine. Mine says turn on high to warm it up quicker, so I usually turn it on to heat up when I'm chopping stuff then turn it to low (if I need it on low that is) once the lid is on. Def don't need hobs or anything.. Just put the veg at the bottom and meat at the top and you'll be fine x

Thanks for looking that up for me!

Suppose I could tweak it a bit by having only one and a slice of wm toast!
thats ok :)
yes, that would improve your fibre part, and if its working for you - then that's cool :) I guess if you got stuck loss wise it would be something to change though :)

Same as Laura! If I'm adding stock it's hot anyway, and chopped tomatoes are room temp , just chuck it all in, it'll be fine. Mine says turn on high to warm it up quicker, so I usually turn it on to heat up when I'm chopping stuff then turn it to low (if I need it on low that is) once the lid is on. Def don't need hobs or anything.. Just put the veg at the bottom and meat at the top and you'll be fine x

I am planning on relying on mine next week as I will have NO HOB!

kitchen being delivered tomorrow but work not being started until next week, but they gave me some money off, so having to store it!

We will be living off the slow cooker, microwave and toaster!!
:)

Have you got a George Forman grill or a table top halogen oven? Wouldn't be without mine. Also got a three tier steamer.

I often find I don't use my standard cooker!

Have you got a George Forman grill or a table top halogen oven? Wouldn't be without mine. Also got a three tier steamer.

I often find I don't use my standard cooker!

ooh, I'd forgotten about the steamer, thanks! I use it for roasts mainly!
Got a teeny grill thing, but no halogen table top oven... I was given one once, but too many kitchen gadgets and something had to go!
I think I can get by on elec gadgets for two weeks... Then I will have a beautiful new kitchen I hope... :)

Oh thanks so much! I'm dying to try it!!!

I have a back bacon joint in the fridge can I cook that in it? Any idea what to do with it?

I have a back bacon joint in the fridge can I cook that in it? Any idea what to do with it?

I do pulled pork in the slow cooker, just put a loin joint straight in, no liquid, and leave it on Medium for around 10 hours. By the time I get home from work it just falls to pieces, very tender, no fat and yummy!

Hi my name is maria. I am new to this sight and im starting sw from home today. So far so good. I did loose a stone a year ago on it, ive managed to keep the stone off but i do need to loose about another 3 :-(.
This site seems great and i'd be very gratefull for any tips.
:) xx

Welcome Maria, this place is fab! Ask away xx

Feeling really sick with nerves as finding out which school my son will get for september tomorrow. Sounds ridiculous but our closest school is terrible and we really really don't want him to get that one. If we do get it, we're moving!! They will let us know from 9am tomorrow so just have to wait and see........ended up eating 5 chocolate cookies, crap!

Feeling really sick with nerves as finding out which school my son will get for september tomorrow. Sounds ridiculous but our closest school is terrible and we really really don't want him to get that one. If we do get it, we're moving!! They will let us know from 9am tomorrow so just have to wait and see........ended up eating 5 chocolate cookies, crap!
Jen fingers crossed for school. Stop sabotaging your good work. I find working makes me hungry too. Must be all the brain energy.

Oh scary times Jen! I wish I'd looked more closely at the boys school application, I went to one which has really good reports and word of mouth reputation but I think their facilities aren't very good and after school stuff and music non existent. Wish we could move them to this awesome school I did a placement in but they are settled so don't want to disrupt it now really.

Exciting news on the kitchen Lou! You'll be sound with a slow cooker! Micro steam veg and rice and you'll be fine :) Well done on the art course too, hope you have another good session next time, exciting stuff

Welcome Maria!

I always use pork shoulder for pulled pork, I tried loin but it was loads drier maybe I did something wrong.

Had a kinda good SW week, all meals on plan but yday went chocolate crazy and ate so much of it! Couldn't get enough, terrible effort! But today has been good again.

I had to add up Daniels breakfast cal wise as I couldn't believe what he was eating, I have to share he ate 2000 cals just in 1 meal of hash browns, oven chips, LM burgers and fish fingers.. I tried to steal some hash browns but he had a strop as clearly he didn't have enough foods! Little pig!

Xx

Glad to help!

There's a guy called Pete that's got a recipe for diet coke bacon. I know I've got it somewhere.
Will have to have a look!

Fingers crossed for the school jen!

We live in a village that was built from scratch 15 years ago. Despite having 3 primary schools there was no secondary school provision. There's one under construction opening in September.

My granddaughter will more than likely be attending. Trouble is older kids kids can't transfer so her older brother has to stay in the school he's in.

The new school won't be full for five years. Doesn't make much sense to me!

Morning all!

Just had wm toast & a cuppa. Normally have fruit & yogurt but out of yogurt til I get to the shops.

Off to the council today. Need to get the ball rolling to be moved to a ground floor flat. Hubby had a doctors appointment yesterday. We now have the doctor onside. She's gonna refer us to an occupational therapist.

The main problem is we're in an upstairs flat with no lift. Hubby has mobility issues and I'm scared he's gonna fall. He finds them really difficult. Also having a shower is is hard as well. We have a shower over the bath. Getting him in & out of the bath is a problem. At the moment we can only get hot water from the shower which means having a bath. He's then a dead weight and I have to haul him out.

We're in a difficult position. The flat we're in is privately owned but managed by a housing association. So any repairs have to be paid by the owner. The plumber has recommended that the whole thing is ripped out & replaced. Something the owner won't do. They only have 18 months left on their contract with the housing association. So they will probably sell up after that.

The housing association have said that cos of our circumstances, we need to go back to the council. Cos our flat is privately owned we can't swap. Even if we could swap you wouldn't find someone with disabled facilities in their bathroom wanting to swap with us.

The whole thing is a total pain!

Sorry about the rant! It's difficult to talk to family about it!

Oh grannie, that sounds horrendous. Hopefully today's meeting will be positive. It must be really hard. Good news that doc is on side though xxx

Still waiting on schools, is really hard cos all my friends have found out. But we're a different council so still waiting, grrr.

Put on 1lb this week which I'm actually totally ok with. I have eaten exactly what I fancied this week, not all bad at all but a lot of non sw stuff so happy to still be around target. Cracking up the exercise now too so that'll help.

Happy Friday to all xxx

Ah grannie let us know how you get on, must be really hard to handle it all on your own. Good luck with the council, they can be pretty difficult when they decide to be!

Well I lost 5lbs this week which is probably all carb bloat from the last 2 weeks of eating rubbish but it's nice seeing the scales drop so much!

Xx

Well done :)

Back