Donating Blood

MissHarleyQuinn92

So a few months back I was like 9 Stone 6ish and went to donate blood for the first time. Being petite and all that jazz I was overweight for my height but they told me I could still donate. So they did their thing and just tonight I went back for my second time to donate more. Since then I've lost quite a bit of weight but get this, they WON'T LET ME DONATE BLOOD FOR A WHOLE YEAR!!! Because they changed their rules and even though I weigh less now than I did then, I'm not allowed to give blood. :( It really bummed me out..

I don't think I'm underweight now. =/
For my height I'm totally okay.. but their scales did have me 2 pounds heavier than my own. So maybe now I'm too overweight to give blood and last time I wasn't? Even though last time I was... @_@ This isn't making any sense at all lol

Thats weird, my friend is 4 or 5 stone heavier than you (if your stats are right) and she was able to give blood. I've never tried giving blood...maybe if I wasn't so afraid of the needles they use to take blood i would try it just to see if they said I was too overweight.

When I went to give blood most of the people there were bigger ladies and gents, did they not tell you why you couldn't give blood? was it def your weight? They've never weighed me but just asked me how much I weigh

Yeah she told me it was because of my weight.. =/
I'm just going to go back next time they're in the area and ask again because I don't want to wait a whole year to donate blood.
See... then I thought maybe it had something to do with my age? Being a certain weight and under 21?

I just checked on the giving blood website. You said you are under 20 and going off your stats your under 10st 3 and under 5'6...so maybe your volume of blood isn't high enough?

"Most people can give blood. If you are generally in good health, age 17 to 65 (if it's your first time) and weigh at least 50kg (7st 12Ib) you can donate. However, If you are female, aged under 20 years old and weigh under 65kg (10st 3lb) and are under 168cm (5’ 6”) in height, we need to estimate your blood volume before donating."

I just checked on the giving blood website. You said you are under 20 and going off your stats your under 10st 3 and under 5'6...so maybe your volume of blood isn't high enough?

"Most people can give blood. If you are generally in good health, age 17 to 65 (if it's your first time) and weigh at least 50kg (7st 12Ib) you can donate. However, If you are female, aged under 20 years old and weigh under 65kg (10st 3lb) and are under 168cm (5’ 6”) in height, we need to estimate your blood volume before donating."

That must be it. Thanks. <3 I just don't see why I COULD give blood last time.. o-o'

Were you over 10st 3 then?

Oh hmmmm, i don't know then. Maybe it was just the person you got, they all work different i suppose, like going to different doctors.

Back