Done myself an injury - a little warning!

Hi Medhurst! Isn't that extraordinary!!! I still think that it's a compressed nerve, and I've really been attempting to not cross my legs - it's a hard habit to break and I still find myself in that position, but in the main I've been very good. It's not got much better though, and I've spoken to the occupational health nurse who is getting me an urgent appointment with the physio through work, so I don't have to pay for it thankfully now. I am seeing the nurse Tuesday morning too. She's very concerned about my symptoms though, and thinks I should have been sent straight to the Walton Neuro Centre.

I'm still a bit concerned as it's still all numb and not getting much better, but she did say that if it's a compression injury to the nerve it should get better within weeks, but I'm a bit nervous now.

I'd definitely speak to your GP, because it's still not good and definitely needs treatment to take the pressure off the nerve. It can lead to permanent damage and I already have an area of numbness on the top of my calf from my disc problems in 2001.

I want to be able to run again!

Let me know how it goes won't you?!

Hi PS, just a quick update following visit to GP, she is concerned that it is due to a disc bulge etc and has referred me to local orthopaedic Hospital, I will let you know what happens once I've seen the consultant, hope your symptoms (and mine) improve before the appointment comes round

hey medhurst, If it's a disc bulge you're usually better with neurology than orthapaedics. Hope things work out ok for you though. I know how excruciatingly painful it can be. I've been told it's much worse than child birth but I've only experienced the back pain so couldn't say lol. Hope you're sorted soon xx

Funny that!

Hi PS, just a quick update following visit to GP, she is concerned that it is due to a disc bulge etc and has referred me to local orthopaedic Hospital, I will let you know what happens once I've seen the consultant, hope your symptoms (and mine) improve before the appointment comes round

I've also just been to see the occupational health nurse in work who insists that mine is my disc too - I still disagree totally, as I have no back pain or symptoms. Now, she insists this is because it's the nerve that's being compressed by the disc, but last time I was in horrendous pain and also had sciatica and just could barely move. I'm sure that my muscles at least would be in spasm. She really wants me to go back to the GP for referral on to the neurologists, but I'm not going. She's done an urgent referral for me to the physio, who she says isn't back until next week, but she's really concerned about me waiting that long.

To be honest, I think there's some improvement, as I can raise my foot slightly and tense the calf a little more, whereas before it was just soft and I just couldn't make it work.

I'm still not crossing my legs and trying to pay attention to my posture.

Keep me updated on you!!

well done on the non leg crossing PS! Hope you're sorted soon xx

LOL Rachel! I can't believe no-one in the medical profession will believe me, but will be so full of it when I'm proved right!! ;-)

Oh, and can't believe what the occupational health nurse said to me today. Conversation was as follows:

Her: "you've lost how much?"
Me: "6 stone"
Her: "in how long?"
Me: "since November last year"
Her: "November last year?? Don't you mean November 2007?"
Me: "No, November 2008".
Her: "Are you sure?"
Me: "Er...yesss..."
Her: "and they think that is safe? You are being monitored by your doctor?"
Me: "Yes, never felt better either, apart from my darn leg"
Her: "well, congratulations, but I'm not sure about it. You've done well, but consider eating some chips and eggs and putting on some weight. Your body might be trying to tell you something"
Me: "yes, to stop crossing my legs and that I've done brilliantly now that I can move without puffing, and get up the floor without pulling myself up on the kids/furniture like a 70-year-old" (well, I didn't actually say this but wanted to!!)
Me: "I'm not putting on any weight. I feel great, and the healthiest I've ever been".
Her: "you can always lose it again when you are better. I'm tall like you and we look much better a bit heavier".
Me: "???"

made me lol. Do the medical profession deal with so many stupid people that as soon as someone with half a brain walks in they just ignore anything they say? Grrr

Poppy - really interesting thread here! A good warning for us all to resist the urge to cross our legs permanently! I read years ago that it causes varicose veins so have always tried not to cross them, but like you I would probably have started once my legs slim down a bit! It sounds painful what you've got - I do hope you're better soon xx

Hi,

Can't believe the occupational nurse, all the press about losing weight and obesity and she tells you to put weight on.

I've also had back problems since losing weight. I just creaked before and waddled, but now I've lost the weight it is definitely back pain. Been to a chiro and physio no help. Trying loads of yoga and pilates DVD's not much help. Interesting comment on losing the fat pads between the discs. I do feel as if the cushioning has gone, and I am not as supple as I was. Weird. I was also hoping to take up more strenuous exercise running but each foot fall jolts my back. Will have to look for some cushioned shoes/trainers, any advice anyone?

I also cross my legs a lot but have really been trying not to. Just another horror story for you. My Dad crossed his legs (always the same way) everytime he sat down and wouldn't uncross them until he got cramp or pins and needles. He was a diet controlled diabetic, but started having problems with foot ulcers that wouldn't heal the other year. On the foot that was always crossed and in the air. We said he had damaged the veins cutting off the circulation for all those years. He has ended up having a lower leg amputation.
So please try hard not to cross your legs. So easy now the tops of my thighs don't get in the way anymore. Also read something recently about not crossing your ankles either.
That's it sorry folks hope you're all sitting up straight with both feet flat on the floor.
Easier said than done.

LOL! Tell me about it Icey - as I was reading your message, I'm sat at my desk with my ankles crossed!!! DOH!

It's the fat pads at the legs not protecting the nerve that I was referring to - not between discs - not sure there are any fat pads between discs, but more fluid sacs I think! ;-)

Hope your back gets better - best thing possible you can do is keep moving and DO NOT immobilise, as that just compounds matters though, so sounds like you are doing the right thing exercising.

PS you're right. There's no fat between the vertebrae. they are fluid filled sacs which when they bulge, can compress nerves, especially those leading down to your legs.
I suppose there is fat aroudn your spine but very little and I doubt any weight loss would have an impact on it. It's more likely that Poppy's theory is right if your problem is linked to your weight loss in any way.
Hope you all feel better soon xx

Hi,

I hope you're all sitting comfortably. :)

I think in my case something has gone missing between the bones in my lower back, seem to jolt when I try to run. So long since I even considered running for a bus or anything. I used to regularly trap a nerve in my back when I was a kid. Very scary totally couldn't move for about 30 seconds.
Just a thought, but I guess when we lose weight our centre of balance totally changes, no longer got so much weight dragging us down at the front. Especially you Poppy, amazing weight loss 6 stone, well done. I do remember when I was putting the weight on, every now and again I would have mild back ache, just a bit of an ache, and then it would settle down again - as if my body/back adjusted to the new distribution of weight. Happened to lose it a lot faster than I put it on, perhaps centre of gravity, whatever has not kept pace.

I live in hopes

Feet flat on the floor you lot, hope you're all feeling better soon.

Back