Donnajt's 2011 Starting All Over Again Diary

Do you think I can stick to SW until my 40th birthday in April?

• Yes

Votes: 30 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
thurs29july_0177.jpg

Food ready...halfway through tomorrow's menus!

I couldn't get any quark, primula, skimmed milk in Tesco - are there any other SW staples that I need to buy?

18p for mushrooms!!!!??!?!!? my tesco only ever reduce by about 10% so that same tub would cost me at least 60p! never stops me wading through the masses hoping for a good deal on something i can use/freeze tho, lol

as for WI day i do a sunday! helps me be good on a fri/sat, then if i have a good result sun morning i can relax a bit on sunday evening knowing i'll start afresh monday morning.

sunday is usually steak night for me, i know it's good, but there's something about steak that makes me feel like i'm cheating... lashings of syn free peppered sauce just make it that wee bit indulgent :D

18p for mushrooms!!!!??!?!!? my tesco only ever reduce by about 10% so that same tub would cost me at least 60p! never stops me wading through the masses hoping for a good deal on something i can use/freeze tho, lol

I never get good reductions but I think I just happened to walk into tesco at the right time - it might have been new years eve, i was well chuffed, got loads of veg all prepared in bags in the freezer

as for WI day i do a sunday! helps me be good on a fri/sat, then if i have a good result sun morning i can relax a bit on sunday evening knowing i'll start afresh monday morning.

sunday is usually steak night for me, i know it's good, but there's something about steak that makes me feel like i'm cheating... lashings of syn free peppered sauce just make it that wee bit indulgent :D

we will probably stick to tuesday wi now, i am quite tempted to move to monday just to keep things under control at the weekend.

why_d I am drooling, steak, pepper sauce, chunky chips? mushrooms? can you share your pepper sauce recipe please...

it's the easiest thing in the world!

fry off some mushrooms (optional), mix up an oxo beef stock cube with about 100/150ml of water, add to mushrooms once cooked off,add as much pepper as you like and allow to thicken for 1 or 2 mins )depending on how thick you like your sauce), take of the heat and stir in quark. just as nice, if not nicer than the full fat sfuff you buy/make from packet

Hey beautiful, getting back to you on the chickpea chaat recipe! It's literally just...

- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 small tomato, gooey bits removed, the rest cubed quite small
- fresh green chilli, finely sliced
- 2 tins chick peas, drained

all chucked together in a big bowl, with some tamarind sauce poured over, I like the East End bottle only! The longer you leave it, the better it tastes in my opinion... I'd leave everything minus the chick peas to kind of marinate in the tamarind, then chuck them in a bit later... If you don't leave them in long enough before serving then the taste doesn't really reach them, so you miss out!

Oh and also, add some salt to taste, and sprinkling a pinch cumin seeds over it is also quite nice, but only literally a pinch otherwise it over-powers the other tastes :)

Enjoying your recipes and pics and lovely meal ideas! xxx

So good to have you back Donna and well done on not gaining as much as you could have while you were AWOL!

I like to use chickpeas in a curry instead of meat, or mixed with veg to stuff peppers.
And for beans, they are great to make a salad into a proper filling meal, or I love a mixed bean chilli :)

Another good one to try:

lisa_faulkner-150x113.jpeg
Lisa Faulkner's Skinny Fish & Chips
Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 large potatoes cut into wedges (skin on)
4 halibut fillets
100g breadcrumbs
Handful of chopped fresh dill
1 lemon zest and juice
50g flour
1 egg beaten
100g low fat greek yoghurt
2-3 chopped gherkins
Handful capers chopped
1/2 clove garlic chopped

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 200C.

2. Parboil the potatoes for about five minutes, then transfer to a baking tray and spray with low fat olive oil a little salt and pepper. Put in the oven for 30-40 minutes.

3. Mix the zest of the lemon and chopped dill into breadcrumbs.

4. Get three shallow bowls: one for flour, one for
beaten egg and one for breadcrumbs.

5. Dip the fish first into the flour, then the egg and then the breadcrumbs. Put the fish into the oven for about 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of the fillets.

6. Make the tartare sauce by mixing together the chopped gherkins, chopped capers, chopped garlic and juice of half the lemon with the yoghurt.

Mmm that tartare sauce sounds yummy - might have to give that a go!
I've done fish in breadcrumbs before - used frozen pollack, dipped in egg then in paxo dried breadcrumbs (check syns, think it's something like 5 syns for 28g - plenty for 2 of us), before baking. Really yummy and you could probably use your HEXB of crumbs if you wanted too

it's the easiest thing in the world!

fry off some mushrooms (optional), mix up an oxo beef stock cube with about 100/150ml of water, add to mushrooms once cooked off,add as much pepper as you like and allow to thicken for 1 or 2 mins )depending on how thick you like your sauce), take of the heat and stir in quark. just as nice, if not nicer than the full fat sfuff you buy/make from packet

Thanks for that, got to wait til payday as my month's shopping came today!!! Would this work over pasta or chicken etc? When I was in Turkey I had this lovely taglitelle (sp!) dish which was peppercorn sauce with chunks of chicken and fresh broccolli and carrots it was delicious

Hey beautiful, getting back to you on the chickpea chaat recipe! It's literally just...

- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 small tomato, gooey bits removed, the rest cubed quite small
- fresh green chilli, finely sliced
- 2 tins chick peas, drained

all chucked together in a big bowl, with some tamarind sauce poured over, I like the East End bottle only! The longer you leave it, the better it tastes in my opinion... I'd leave everything minus the chick peas to kind of marinate in the tamarind, then chuck them in a bit later... If you don't leave them in long enough before serving then the taste doesn't really reach them, so you miss out!

Oh and also, add some salt to taste, and sprinkling a pinch cumin seeds over it is also quite nice, but only literally a pinch otherwise it over-powers the other tastes :)

Enjoying your recipes and pics and lovely meal ideas! xxx

Thanks Ally, this sounds delic - how long do you cook for?

Mmm that tartare sauce sounds yummy - might have to give that a go!
I've done fish in breadcrumbs before - used frozen pollack, dipped in egg then in paxo dried breadcrumbs (check syns, think it's something like 5 syns for 28g - plenty for 2 of us), before baking. Really yummy and you could probably use your HEXB of crumbs if you wanted too

Thanks Sarah - you sure are helping me want to eat more fish!!!

Am going to try salmon fishfingers - piece of salmon cut into fingers, rolled in egg, dipped in flour, parmesan, lemon thyme also

Yum your food looks lovely-especially the quiche... With your famous pickled onions!
I made a load of mini quiches tonight - Sauteed veg and bacon in muffin trays topped with egg. Should be good for free snacks! They don't look as good as yours though!

Thanks for that, got to wait til payday as my month's shopping came today!!! Would this work over pasta or chicken etc? When I was in Turkey I had this lovely taglitelle (sp!) dish which was peppercorn sauce with chunks of chicken and fresh broccolli and carrots it was delicious

yeah, def worth a try! hehe

hi donna god yes the kellogs fibre plus bars are soooooo scrummy loved them well worth the money they were £1.89 buy 3 for the price of 2 my o/h tried one but he said it was a bit too "sticky" for him all i can say is roll on tomorrow so i can have another one lol xx

Yum your food looks lovely-especially the quiche... With your famous pickled onions!
I made a load of mini quiches tonight - Sauteed veg and bacon in muffin trays topped with egg. Should be good for free snacks! They don't look as good as yours though!

you know me and my pickles!!! So excited when i found a soup recipe on one of the boards that has pickle onions in it lol

i was thinking of making mini ones but how many do you make and how long do they last, i made that huge quiche and i am not kidding you i had two slices, paul demolished the rest!

Back