Dramatic Weight Loss

I've been reading about SW's woman off the year 2012 who lost 11st 7lb and she looks fantastic, my question though is after such a dramatic weight loss is she likely to have had surgery to remove excess skin. It's something that i've been thinking about for a while having a lot of weight to lose myself. Does anyone have any experience of dramatic weight loss / excess skin / surgery etc? Thanks :)

I have just over 10 stone to loose, so it has crossed my mind.

I've just started exercising alot, for fitness but also to start tightening things up. I've spoken with my husband and I've told him that when I get to the end I will have surgery to get rid of bits that I don't feel are right. Some things I'm not worried about but there are areas where I would have it done, definitely.

I have a friend who has recommended me a surgeon, I've seen her totally transform (gastic band, then corrective surgery)

hey i started in jan this yr and have lost 7st so far, i want to loose another 1.5st but for my bmi its another 2st but think 1.5st would be enough for me.

for a few wks i was worried i had it on my inner thighs. so i upped my syns for a few wks so instead of losing 4lb a wk went to 2lb. this helped and it went. just needs time for your body to catch up i think.

i found buying exfoliating gloves and palmers firming lotion helped alot aswell! just see how your skin takes it, you might loose weight and have no excess skin, but if you see it happening just moisturise and try uppinh exercise in that area. i dis read tho that it can take upto 2 years after you reach target for your skin to completely catch up.

but id rather be slimmer with abit mre skin that flabby i guess !

hope this helps
hayley xx

I have lost just over 8 stone in 14months and still want to lose another stone to hit target. I do have saggy skin on my belly and upper thighs as well as droopy bingo wings. I need to wear control pants to smooth myself out when wearing fitted skirts or dresses and I know that even when I hit target I'll never wear a bikini. I have been fat pretty much since age 13 (apart from a brief stint of being slim around 17/18 years old) so that, combined with the fact that I have had 2 kids, I am resigned to being a bit saggy. My husband has asked whether I will want surgery one day and I don't think I will; I am a bit scared of having such a major procedure when it is just vanity. Apart from running round after my kids and being on my feet all day at work I don't exercise so I don't know how much difference that could have made.

I think the same way as Hayley, the skin might be a bit ugly but in the long run, clothes can cover that and I would rather be healthier than morbidly obese with a bmi of 43!

I think loose skin is quite common unfortunately. Especially with large losses where the person has carried the extra weight for most of their life.

I have saggy skin on my inner thighs, tum and upper arms. But I don't care. I'd rather have some bingo wingage than diabetes.

Oh yeah i'd def rather have loose skin than carry around an extra persons worth of weight for the rest of my life but it's worrying still. I suppose i'll just have to see how it goes (and start saving up just incase lol)

If it makes you feel better, you cannot exercise your skin no matter how much you work out, so if your skin is going to be saggy it's absolutely nothing for you to feel guilty about because you didn't exercise enough.

There's a genetic aspect as well as an age aspect to it. Some people are saggier than others and the older you are when you decide to lose the weight the less elasticity your skin is going to have. You'll look great regardless!

I've been reading about SW's woman off the year 2012 who lost 11st 7lb and she looks fantastic, my question though is after such a dramatic weight loss is she likely to have had surgery to remove excess skin. It's something that i've been thinking about for a while having a lot of weight to lose myself. Does anyone have any experience of dramatic weight loss / excess skin / surgery etc? Thanks :)

A lot of it is down to luck and your genes as to how elastic your skin. Some people have lose skin after massive loss and some dont. Skin that is damaged, ie stretch marks is suppose to lose a lot of elasticity.

I have dropped just short of eight stone in eight months I dont have lose skin on my arms, a little bit on the inside of my legs, my chest and waist feel lose and wobbly, but eve though i am still losing it isnt getting worse. It isnt hanging over or anything like that, just a bit jelly like.

I do have a lot of stretchmarks, but it doesnt seem to be making much difference. Thankfully.

The more worrying thing about rapid weightloss is your increased chances of gallbladder related issues, more specifically gallstones.

But, if you spent your life avoided things that are attributed to causing gallstones you would live your life in a darkened room eating nothing but gruel.

This is something that REALLY worried me when I started losing weight. I still have another 5st to lose so I can't really say how bad it's going to get but I am definitely suffering with saggy bingo wings and inner thigh sag. I don't like it, and I feel terribly self-conscious about my arms especially, but I've spent 15 years feeling self-conscious about my size so I suppose I'll just have to deal with it. I'd love to have corrective surgery but I'd never be able to afford it. I'll just hope and pray that losing the rest of my weight helps pull things in a bit.

My skin on my inner thighs is sagging and my tummy will be just as bad but i now view the sagginess as victory against my battle with my weight. In the beginning this used to depress me a lot that my husband even said that i could have surgery once i lost the weight but i have learnt to accept it now and would never go for surgery now x

This is something that REALLY worried me when I started losing weight. I still have another 5st to lose so I can't really say how bad it's going to get but I am definitely suffering with saggy bingo wings and inner thigh sag. I don't like it, and I feel terribly self-conscious about my arms especially, but I've spent 15 years feeling self-conscious about my size so I suppose I'll just have to deal with it. I'd love to have corrective surgery but I'd never be able to afford it. I'll just hope and pray that losing the rest of my weight helps pull things in a bit.

For your bingo wings though you can do weights based work outs, like kettlebells, body combat etc. It will help to fill out that empty space left in your arms. It wont take much muscle growth for your arms to start to fill out a bit.

Bingo wings, be gone!

This was one of the excuses I used to tell myself to justify not losing weight...
It's something that I now have to live with or do something about, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be and you can hide a lot with the right clothes... It's not like I was strutting round a beach in a speedo anyway.. :)
I'm happier in myself now in how I look and feel physically so I'm glad I did lose the weight..
There's a woman in our group that has also lost nearly 17st and has recently had a tummy tuck.
She seems happier now, or maybe happy isn't the right word... there seems to have been a weight off her mind as well as her mid section, if you'll pardon the pun..
I don't know if I'll ever bother with a tuck, but I'll definitely give it a year or so to see if any of it will shrink back on it's own first..

Back