Dress sizes

Tiggemma

Silver Member
Just a quick question but am I alone in finding dress sizes soooo confusing? I am not a fan of shopping so I do most of it online. But because my dress size is not what it used to be (yay!) I am really struggling to find things that fit. I look at the size charts and measure myself, I even got my other half to measure me to make sure I wasn't being too generous to myself. But even so I'm struggling to get stuff that fits. Why do women's clothes come in 'sizes' not actual measurements it's so frustrating.

Thing is I think it depends on the shop and style too!

I order straight cut linen trousers and shorts same size same shop. The trousers fallin off me and the shorts very tight!

I like Dorothy ps as they tend to be true to size and alway free delivery and returns!!

same style and make of jeans....2 different fits! I hate it!

i cant find anythin to fit me either!

Yes different shops the same size and style and massively different fits. Even though they theoretically are made for the same measurements. Worse is same shop same style different fits.

My measurements are great and I'm happy about that. But I'd love to buy stuff that fits and feel great in it!

I'm trying to find a dress for a wedding in a couple of weeks in Italy hence the frustration.

i ordered stuff off ebay and ended up with loads of clothes (size 12) and i'd need to be a size 10 to get into them (which i'm working on but thats beside the point).

I'm afraid that when it comes to something like that, a trip to the shops and trying everything on is required :)

WAH WAH! Shopping is one of my least favourite things. I'm always convinced nothing will fit and I'll look terrible in everything. I know something will fit and look good but my head has always convinced me otherwise and been right so it's taking a while for me to accept it to be true that I'm no longer a heffalump!

I'm not particularly obsessed by dress sizes I just wish they were honest and consistent! If I'm not a size 10 or 12 then that's fine I just want it to fit right.

This is by the way is definitely a first world problem and should not be consuming so much of my time. But it is very frustrating.

Haha I love first world problems though!

It is a sucky situation. I spend a fortune to try and get to a size 10 for example and even then I can't guarantee I'll be wearing size 10 clothes. It's irritating and I love shopping lol

Current loss: 22lbs and 15.5 inches

It's one of those things that if my measurements are a size 12 then I should be able to into any shop and (excluding length due to my shortness) know that the size 12s in those shops will fit. But at the moment I seems to be wearing all sorts!

its my wedding anniversary today and I've just come back from a diet killing restaurant ( though it was expected so no drama) and I was wearing a size 10! But a dress I tried on the other day was too a small in a 12 but too big in a 14! Grrrr!!!

It's all madness. I bought the same item in same size one in black one in blue. Totally different on yet should be identical. That was from next.
I have a suit for work that is all same size with a skirt (v tight) wide leg trousers (can't keep up) and cropped trousers (just right) again from next. There's really no hope lol.
I just shop online n spend half of my life at post offices sending it back xx

It's all madness. I bought the same item in same size one in black one in blue. Totally different on yet should be identical. That was from next.
I have a suit for work that is all same size with a skirt (v tight) wide leg trousers (can't keep up) and cropped trousers (just right) again from next. There's really no hope lol.
I just shop online n spend half of my life at post offices sending it back xx

Next is the worst for this I find

Next is the most recent offender for me. I bought a work dress in what should be the right size and it's huge. So I thought I'd buy the size down and that's tiny!!!

I brought a size 12 and size 14 paid of the exact same jeans in Matalan the other day (12's fit but going on holiday so thought I'd need some wiggle room!) 12's fit but are a bit tight, 14's exactly the same! It's like I've picked up 2 size 12's by mistake! No sense at all. Same thing happened at Tesco, brought 2 size 12 dresses, one fits like a charm, can' get an arm in the other!

It's mental isn't it! At least men sizes are more consistent! Being a woman is a nightmare!

It's mental isn't it! At least men sizes are more consistent! Being a woman is a nightmare! Current loss: 22lbs and 15.5 inches

With men it's all about the 'fit'' my hubby is a large top and 34 inch waist. For his north day I bought him a shirt in large and he was having a for as was so tight. Turned out it was 'super slim fit' which I'd never noticed haha x

It's true there are different fits for men but at least a 34 inch waist jeans is exactly that every time with the length being 34 inches or whatever. But for us it's long regular or short and randomly selected size numbers. It's hard work. I find it tiring. I may go to this wedding in my underwear at least that fits! ;-)

It's true there are different fits for men but at least a 34 inch waist jeans is exactly that every time with the length being 34 inches or whatever. But for us it's long regular or short and randomly selected size numbers. It's hard work. I find it tiring. I may go to this wedding in my underwear at least that fits! ;-)

Oh yeah we have it much worse. Just made me chuckle when he was having a stress that's all. X

I tend to only buy clothes when my existing ones are falling apart, and only in a few places as I struggle with getting stuff to fit. I have some jeans from Evans which are a good shape on me, so went to try on the size down when they got baggy. Woo, they fitted. But I am NO WAY a size 16 with these measurements. It's vanity sizing. I suspect I'm an 18. Anyway, the blue version of the jeans is way tighter than the black, so I'm still an 18 in blue denim. :confused:

Have you found anything yet Tigg???

Nope Lizz. I'm girding my loins in preparation for a shopping trip on Saturday! I wouldn't normally worry so much but the rest of the people who are going are quite glamourous and so I'm hoping to at least not show myself up!

Nope Lizz. I'm girding my loins in preparation for a shopping trip on Saturday! I wouldn't normally worry so much but the rest of the people who are going are quite glamourous and so I'm hoping to at least not show myself up!

Tk maxx if you have one locally? I saw some amazing dresses in there and not too expensive either (I was hankering after a Vera wang dress....£50!!!! But it was too big for me)

Debenhams have some really nice stuff too?

Back