Dressing the mid-weightloss body: share your tips

spangles

Bouncy Castle
So, the thing about the speedy weightlosses on this diet is that it often isn't worth buying new clothes, because you won'y get the wear out of them before they're too big.

I thought it would be worth sharing our tips for this situation. Where to buy, what to buy, etc.

For me - I've worked out that you can't manage with fewer than three bras.

Also - dresses are more forgiving of weight change than trousers: you can wear them on the tight side (especially if they're empire line) and then they still more or less fit even if they're a size (or two!) bigger than your true size.

Lastly - cardigans, jackets and coats. As long as they fit you on the arms and across the back, it doesn't matter if they don't do up just now. They will in a week or two, so you can buy smaller and get more wear out of them.

Hi Spangles.
I go to the local charity shop and have a rummage for good labels - next, m and s, wallis etc. You can easily pick up a pair of trousers for £3-4. I am usually quite lucky on the sale rails in Asda and Matalan too. I just treated myself to a brown leather coat - handmade in India - its so soft and comfy. It stated 12-14 but its more a 12 (so still a bit tight) however, it was an absolute steal on eBay for £10 and I got a pair of brown leather ankle boots for under a fiver! I can't remember the last time I bought something at full price.
I, like so many of us, have quite a lot in the wardrobe from last time being slim so I'm enjoying getting into jeans that haven't seen the light of day for a looooooonnnnnggg time.

M x

ooh yes - nor mally don't think of charity shops because there's so little in plus sizes that it's not worth looking. But i won't be a plus size for long at this rate!

I have been indulging in a few little shopping trips to primark myself... not too expensive as I have been able to buy new pairs of work trousers for £5 each....

On the dress side you're right, I find tea dresses are the best for me at the moment, I have been able to add little waist belts onto them as I am losing so that they don't look too out of proportion.

I am also making the most of the fact that big baggy jumpers are in at the moment as I am wearing them with my leggings and they look okay, maybe getting a little too big now :)

There are quite a few sales on at the moment though, I would personally make the most of those while you can and then save up the big funds for the ultimate shopping spree when you reach goal weight!

Dresses are my saviour. I used to wear them over trousers (they were tight)
I now wear them with belts. Everytime I lose weight, they get longer, and more gathered by the belt!

Unfortunately I only have 4 - so work clothes are not very varied!

I did buy myself 2 10 pound pairs of New Look black jeans to live in (can get away with these at work) and just team with tops that hang off me!
4 stone down now - and I think my days are numbered. Im really trying not to buy anything til Jan sales.
Bras are big - I have one that fits ok.

I haven't really slimmed into any small items yet - but soon I will. My old wardrobe is a 14 and down. When I became a 16 (and then all the way to size 22) think I was denial, so for the past few years have lived in a pair of work trousers and a pair of jeans til I out grew them, or until they were worn through and had to be binned.

Looking forward to shopping - but am scared. In used to selecting what comes in my size, and then picking the least hideous item! The choice now is overwhelming!

I love buying new clothes!! Nothing expensive, in our town we have New Look, Select and Peacocks but wearing something new that fits nice makes me feel good and that it's all worth it. Then when they dont fit I sell them on ebay. Just sold a couple pairs of jeans and almost got my money back on them :)

Im having so much trouble getting clothes! I started out as a size 18-20. I'm 5'11 which also doesn't make shopping easy. Although I've lost just shy of 3 stone I'm still roughly a 16. I'm finding it hard to find styles that suit and fit me. Floaty tops most certainly don't.. I also can rarely find high street shops that stock long enough and big enough trousers for me. Advice is to buy online but I think it's hard to not be able to try before you buy..
Think I'll tough it out til im a size 14 n see if I canfind anything then ..

astar2011 said:
Im having so much trouble getting clothes! I started out as a size 18-20. I'm 5'11 which also doesn't make shopping easy. Although I've lost just shy of 3 stone I'm still roughly a 16. I'm finding it hard to find styles that suit and fit me. Floaty tops most certainly don't.. I also can rarely find high street shops that stock long enough and big enough trousers for me. Advice is to buy online but I think it's hard to not be able to try before you buy..
Think I'll tough it out til im a size 14 n see if I canfind anything then ..

It is hard. I have the opposite problem (Im just 5ft). Although I'm not buying yet - I have been to a fee shops to try some things on. I have lost ny confidence in what suits me. When I was bigger I had my set formula of what looked best. I am now lost!
At goal I think I will be more lost! The last time I was genuinely slim, I was young. Dressing in those fashions is definitely not a good idea!
Guess its a nice problem to have! Hope to resolve it soon, so I can buy some clothes that look good!

Maybe we should set up a page n advertise our clothes that are no good for us . We could send them onto others that want them .... maybe a system where the person who wants them pays the postage and packaging. I have some really nice size 18 and 20 tops and trousers that no longer fit me ...

i think there's already a clothes swap sticky up there ^^^ somewhere.

Belts have been my saviour with jeans. I've only bought two new pairs of jeans since I started and I'm now having to belt them quite tightly to keep them up! Skirts are also brilliant.

I'm lucky in that I still have a few sets of clothes from when I was 13st1lb before that I'm shrinking in to or I'd be in deep trouble!

god, lucky you! even as a size 10 teenager, I was a 30FF on top. :rolleyes: am deformed.

I know there is the swap page but I guess the down side of that is that you could send out all your clothes but no one posts anything in the sizes you need. Is selling not allowed on this forum? I just wondered if people could sell things cheap... like a couple of quid plus P&P and at least then you are slowly gathering a bit of cash towards some new items.

Back