Drinking alcohol whilst in ketosis?

Miss Mac

Gold Member
I have got a night out next saturday and I will be drinking. I have been on Exante TS 100% for 3 weeks and next week will be week 4.

Has anyone been drinking whilst in ketosis and did it have any adverse affects?

I had a friend doing LL some time ago and we had a night out and he somehow managed to stick to water all night!!! This definitely WONT be me!!;)

Thanks Starlight.... Summer rain sent me that link and I have read through it. I just wanted to hear anyones real life experiences as I got the jist of the link but found it a bit confusing.

I wont be going mad with drink dont get me wrong but I wont be sticking to vodka or other 'safe' drinks. I just want to let my hair down for 1 night and not have to worry about the diet, but obviously I really dont want to make myself ill!

So has anyone had a night out whilst in ketosis or has everyone who has had a night out, knocked themselves out of it beforehand?
And if I did knock myself out of ketosis....what would be the sensible way to do it?

if you were planning to have just a glass of wine maybe it would be ok but for a real night out, dont take the chance. Youll make yourself at the least very ill. There have been some absolute horror stories on the other VLCDs about how ill people have got on maybe 2/3 drinks let alone a 'letting your hair down night' Its just not worth it. Please dont risk it.

I have carbs before I go away around lunch time, ready for a few drinks around 1700 oh and I found I got back into ketosis pretty quickly AND still had a 'normal' weight loss that week :)

Last edited:
Thanks Starlight....I will bear this in mind. I suppose the alcohol is going to knock me out of ketosis anyway so I suppose a slice of toast before I go out wont do any harm..x

The thing is its all okay hearing from well meaning folk that "were fine" after a night painting the town red. We hardly hear the horrible stuff. If someone was fine then that's fantastic and I am insanely jealous lol but that's them....not me. I won't know if I will be fine and to be honest, I won't take the risk, just in case.. :(

I can drink whilst in ketosis with no bad effects, i have drunk 3/4 of a bottle of red on a couple occasions. For me its not worth it as its combined with food and i stay the same weight, so one nt costs we a week. Really not worth it for me but i still do it every now and then.

Exactly - thats basically all I have a couple of slices of toast or a sandwich and Ive suffered no ill effects, I have however found the drink does affect me quicker than usual and I cant have as much as my pre Exante days.

Thats good to know that a couple of slices of toast would be ok to have as an eviction from ketosis! I was thinking I would have to plan a day before of food choices!

I had like two shots last night which I guess is minimal and stayed on coke zero and water the rest of the time. It's always weird being the only sober one :)

So I guess I'm saying that a sip of something here and there won't actually kill you, but definitely be careful and obviously don't binge or even have as much as a whole pint or whole glass of wine.

I can drink whilst in ketosis with no bad effects, i have drunk 3/4 of a bottle of red on a couple occasions. For me its not worth it as its combined with food and i stay the same weight, so one nt costs we a week. Really not worth it for me but i still do it every now and then.

God...I hope 1 night doesn't affect the whole week!! I generally dont tend to put on weight after a night out, but I know I will eat so I am just hoping I can stop eating and get back to TS again on the Monday. If I stay the same though like you, I will definitely think twice before doing it again!!:)

Back