Drinks

fongy

Hi all I'm new to this...so some of you already know me....;)

I was just wondering what I can drink other than water..black coffee.....

somebody said I can drink coke zero...and add a flavouring to water?

is this true.....what about cranberry juice?

I will actually be starting tomorrow..I am looking forward to it...but know I will get so bored with just drinking water.....although I can have sweetners ( I think)..

sorry if there is already a thread on this but I can't find anything...

cheers everybody..:D

Black tea, black coffee, green tea, peppermint tea.... basically any leaf tea.

Water, sparkling water, and the apple and strawberry & kiwi flavours of 'Perfectly Clear'.

Coke Zero, and possibly Tescos own, up to a point.

No juice, it has carbohydrate in it.

No fruity tea, ditto.

No squash, it usually has Citric Acid as a preservative.

No booze!

Citric Acid can prevent you from going into ketosis. Once you're in ketosis, my assorted reading suggests it's a moot point as to whether Citric Acid will take you out if it. Ultimately, it depends on each person's individual tolerance. I found the odd occasional can of proper coke (or on saturday, a Costa Blackcurrant Tea, strictly non-diet-kosher, The Horror!) did me no harm at all. But then again, I have ketosis rather well established.

Hope that helps. :)

Hiya fongs
my tastes change, and although I don't exactly look forward to black coffee, it gets me going

I now like
rooboos tea
sainsburys eucalyptus and nettle
fennel tea (holland n Barrett )
licorice tea
peppermint tea

the knack with ordinary tea is to not leave the bag in for long, a quick dip & out really

I just miss milk in my tea
:(

Ello Mrs, how's ywr bum for spots? :p

Dr Pepper zero has no citric acid & no carbs as well. :)

Sainsburys own flavoured waters also are mostly OK but check the labels. I know peach, cranberry and raspberry and apple and blackcurrant are OK, I have them all in the fridge! They also do a fizzy strawberry and kiwi one that is like champagne when you've not had a drink for a while lol, the bubbles go straight to your head! :eek:

The water flavourings are particular to a couple of the other VLCD diets and are available only from CD or LL counsellors I think - you could ask Sam if you want to try some?

Oh and welcome to here. :D

Another member of the Yambabe posse to take over the forum then the world, woohoo! :D

Hiya fongs
my tastes change, and although I don't exactly look forward to black coffee, it gets me going

I now like
rooboos tea
sainsburys eucalyptus and nettle
fennel tea (holland n Barrett )
licorice tea
peppermint tea

the knack with ordinary tea is to not leave the bag in for long, a quick dip & out really

I just miss milk in my tea
:(

Maggie - I use 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla shake in my tea and it tastes (almost) like normal tea! Don't use more than 1/2 teaspoon else the vanilla taste starts creeping in!

I have to have my daily cuppa and this is working out ok for me :)

Hi Fongy, nice to see you on here :) It's turning into the other place more day by day!
I've been drinking black coffee for years, at first it was horrible without the milk but you get so used to it milk tastes funny after a while.

tea bag?? what is this thing you speak off, i'm the sadest person on earth i use leaf tea, tastes so much better

:D thanks guys...and hello girls...I finally have taken the plunge...
Had my first cereal bar this morning..and they are quite nice...I was pleasantly suprised!!!

so..I have written down all the drinks list.....
I am wondering if pepsi max is ok to drink then as it seems to have the same ingredients as coke zero?

and when I'm looking at the label on water..what exactly am I looking for..as tesco do their own flavoured sparkly water too?

most of you already know I have an inner blond...so sorry if I am missing a key ingredient that I should know I can't have in water lol..

and whats the ketosis stix that I have heard you mention many times Yam ? :eek:

Fongs...total novice and still wearing L plates..:rolleyes:

I wrote a response out and it seems to have gone lol..?
or needed checking by admin..whats that about then ?

ok will try again...

thanks girls......I am finally here and started today......cereal bars are nice..will check soup out in a bit...

I have written down the drinks list.....few questions......as some of you know I am an inner blond...sorry lol....but what do I need to check water labels for? whats the ingredient I am trying to avoid ?
Tesco do their own sparkling water too...wonder if its the same as sainsburys and therefore ok to have ?

pepsi max....has the same ingredients as coke zero? is that ok anyone know ?

and whats these ketosis stix you talk of Yam ?
I have bought a mouth freshener as I hear ketosis isn't very pleasant lol..:rolleyes:

Water, sparkling water, and the apple and strawberry & kiwi flavours of 'Perfectly Clear'.

:eek: Really???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know obv water & sparkling water are allowed :giggle: But didnt know about the perfectly clear flavours .......

How come these are allowed?

don't worry about the ketostix Fongy
I can post you some if you wish if you want to play

we all bought some in a pique of "must have some of those" and I think everyone is like me, has a full tub of them in the bathroom gathering dust :D

If, after 1 to 2 weeks you are not hungry, and have lots of energy, or swing between lots of energy to none (like me-its a cycle with me) you are in Ketosis

Basically you need to check the label of flavoured water or diet pop for citric acid.

If it's got citric acid in it it's not recommended (so no diet pepsi :() although personally I reckon a small amount won't hurt. Other acids are sometimes used (malic acid seems quite common) and appear to not affect ketosis the way citric acid does.

Check the carbs, some products use sweeteners that are relatively high in carbs. You are looking for "0" or "trace" of carbs per 100g ideally.

At the end of the day it's all down to personal taste of course. Some people can possibly drink gallons of product with citric acid in and not be affected in the slightest. I would imagine for most of us the odd glass here and there isn't going to kill us. If you test something and it does appear to take you out of ketosis this doesn't mean you will stop losing weight, but it does mean that you may be less comfortable on the diet cos of the hunger etc that ketosis suppresses.

HTH.

:eek: Really???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know obv water & sparkling water are allowed :giggle: But didnt know about the perfectly clear flavours .......

How come these are allowed?

No citric acid. I believe IIRC that they use Malic acid instead. Not 'allowed' in the conventional sense, but they sneak under the wire owing to the ingredients list.

Fongs - Pepsi Max is officialy out, owing to the citric acid thang.

I have bought a mouth freshener as I hear ketosis isn't very pleasant lol..:rolleyes:

the ketone breath is more obvious to the breather than anyone else, so it's something peeps get a bit paranoid about. But it's not normally as much of an issue as you think.

Although the breath freshener is quite useful to get a flavour going...

My partner bought me the best present (after I finally got through to her that salmon fishcakes with breadcrumbs, soy thai bites and 85% dark chocolate were all out - :heartpump: but :banghead:!) Proper jasmine tea from China, not in bags but in little 'pearls' that unfurl in the hot water. Tastes amazing - my new treat.:)

Back