Dukan and Exercise

Deborandum

I've never been one for overexerting myself so the prescribed 20 minute walk is daunting yet much needed.

In fact, for the last 2 weeks I have been wanting to start cycling so am researching bikes and safety gear. Do any of you cycle regularly?

What is your chosen Dukan exercise choice?

we cycle on sundays with the kids gental trips but a great work out

many many years ago, a couple of decades (god I sound old) I used to be a member of the CTC (cycling touring club) we had great fun, going out on a day run on a Sunday, then short local runs mid week at evening times during the summer.

The benefits:
1. Your not on your own, so very good for personal safety.
2.you won't realise how far you've gone as you can chat away while cycling.
3. You realise pretty quickly, how much fitter your becoming.
P.S. This club isn't the ones who going speeding around everywhere......much more sedate!!:rolleyes:

Everyone around here makes me feel so lazy!
I try to walk everyday, but I tend to work from 8am-8pm, so the walk has to be combined with shopping, bank, etc.

I do take long walks at weekends - and on Sunday I unloaded and stacked two large loads of firewood by myself.

Just thinking about that it making me sleepy right now!

As this is protein only (attack phase), would we have the energy to do Zumba and gym work too?

Thanks to Dukan, I caught the walking bug!

Previously when dieting, I'd force myself to swim... or walk a little... and it was such a drag and a real effort and I hated every minute of it!

After quitting smoking, knowing that they say one's metabolism slows after a quit, I immediately started walking 15 mins a day... then, when I regained weight anyway (too much hand to mouth exercise!), I set the alarm a bit earlier and lengthened my walk.

Now I walk to work every day (if it's not raining... I've walked in snow, minus 10°C, but I obviously fear I'll melt in the rain cos I won't walk in it). I sleep less anyway now that I'm lighter, and I arrive at work early, full of life, unstressed, and feel great for it. In the summer, I detour to add walking time.

45 to 1hr 15 to work (4.5km to 7km... love it!).

And I still HATE all other forms of exercise but I am trying on the bike at weekends (cos it hurts like heck so must use different muscles!)

I cycle, walk the dog and swim (just had fab swimming hol that made the boring lengths in pool worth while). You asked about bikes, Deb. I have a very old mountain bike which I like but it is rather limited on roads as the gears are too low and the tyres too fat and noisy on tar, being meant for rough ground. So two years ago I bought a Hybrid, which you can use on firm trails and on roads, as it has higher gears and slimmer tyres, but not thin like an ordinary road bike. It's a great multipurpose one. Gears are really important and the more you pay the better they are likely to be. I have 24, but 21 is fine. For equipment, a helmet is a must and a bright jacket that is rainproof and doesn't reach too far down behind or you may find it hooks on the saddle when you try to get off. A women's saddle is a must as men's ones are agony. See if you can choose a sprung one at not too much extra if you are buying a new bike. If second hand, get to the bike shop quick for a good saddle if necessary! Lights can be bought from Halfords or a big Tesco. You can also get nice shorts or slightly longer crops with padded bum area, helps a lot, as do gel saddle covers! Watch out if you wear laced shoes, tuck laces into the side of yr shoe away from the chain.

Thanks Topaz,

You've confirmed what I have been researching. There are some great hybrid bikes out there; just got to raise the funds!!

I have just joined a Beginners Running Club - Week 3 of 10 tonight and we ran about 4k in 25 mins..... which for me is a big improvement on the previous couple of weeks! Otherwise its long walks with the dog, the Wii Fit, Easyline circuits, aqua aerobics and the occasional zumba class. And I have also just started the 30-day shred DVD.

but please don't let this put off any newcomers from starting to just generally increase their physical activity. Dr Dukan suggests a 20 min walk a day, in Cruise, increasing gradually when we can, to make it part of our natural habits to move around more. Avoid the lifts where we can etc. Rather than doing one exhausting thing per week which might then put you off (or hurt you!) from doing something on a daily basis...

And of course the larger we are, the more strain all this is on our bodies.

Topaz - I'm hopeless with gears... :(

Gears are just practice on the flat. I kno what u mean, tho, as I hired a bike on hol last week on Scilly and was having trouble remembering which hand took gears up and which took them down, as different from my own. Lots of crunching!

You are right about the walking, it is the best mainstay. The other things are for choice and when you get to feel more energetic, which you won't at first, especially if you have lots to lose. But adding swimming is good, as that water massage is great, and there is little stress on joints. (that being said, do get goggles and get your head down for breaststroke as well as crawl, flatten your back and straighten your neck so no crick).

Swimming hurts my hair :( (yeah despite being vain, I've tried the old flowery hat approach, but to no avail... I still get wet hair!)

I have just joined a Beginners Running Club - Week 3 of 10 tonight and we ran about 4k in 25 mins..... which for me is a big improvement on the previous couple of weeks! Otherwise its long walks with the dog, the Wii Fit, Easyline circuits, aqua aerobics and the occasional zumba class. And I have also just started the 30-day shred DVD.

Taffy, I have the shred dvd. I did the first day and it has sat on the shelf ever since... :eek: I can't seem to pluck up the courage to do it again!

I'm struggling to get out walking, or do anything else atm. I've managed to have a walk about 3 days in the last week I think. When I am working I get home and spend the rest of the time catching up on housework. Then by the time I am finished I am too knackered and can't face a half hour walk!

All excuses really. I need to sort myself out. I'll join zumba with stmc as I haven't been for ages and really love it.

Back