Dukan and IBS

Sander23

Chronic Recidivist
Hi everyone! One of my good friends is impressed with how well I've done so far and wants to switch to the Dukan method from her portion control/calorie counting diet. However, she has IBS 0 I read in another thread that Dukan is not good for peoplewith IBS - does anyone have mroe info on why that is - should I discourage her from starting on the Dukan plan?
She is really excited to start because her true weight date is the same as mine, so we could celebrate together, but I don't want her to get sick or fail because its not a good plan for her.

I have a mild case of IBS and I have actually found that Dukan has helped. Thts just me though so don't quote me on it. She should maybe talk to her doctor about it? X

Maybe, if her symptoms aren't usually too severe, she could try it for a few days when she doesn't have to leave the house? Just in case, although if her symptoms do get pretty severe she might not want to take the risk!

I have severe IBS and whether it will affect her will depend on what her triggers are. I would show her the book so that she can see the allowed food and make an informed decision. I just avoid my known triggers.

Hope that helps

I have severe IBS and whether it will affect her will depend on what her triggers are. I would show her the book so that she can see the allowed food and make an informed decision. I just avoid my known triggers.

Hope that helps

^ This!

Because there is no one cause of IBS, each individual has to learn their own triggers, and avoid them where possible.

My own habit has improved immensely since I changed to Dukan, but that's just me, and my own wonky plumbing - and your friend may be completely different.

I too have a friend with severe IBS. I introduced her to the oatbran, which she likes and was comfortable with. The tricky part is attack and the PP days. I assume that she probably couldn't do those in quite the same way the rest of us do, might have to have extra bran from the start, which would effectively mean she started on Cruise or only did attack for maybe two days. Advice would be good on this, though as you say below, the triggers vary.

Hey all don't know if it helps but I have Crohns disease, diagnosed with IBS for 15 yrs before they finally identified the problem. I have started Dukan mainly to regulate my eating and also lose the weight I piled on after losing ++++ from being really poorly.
I do have to watch what I eat, I find I can't tolerate a lot of veg but so far this diet has actually made me feel great!
I have to watch the amount of fibre I eat simply because my gut can't deal with it but oatbran seems to be a gentler form of fibre and my am porridge will be my staple for ever more!
I spoke to my Dr before starting the diet just in case but she said it sounded like a really good healthy option... the only proviso being if I felt tired I might need some more carbs... but so far so good!
The way I look at it is everything in moderation... at the moment I'm eating low fat protein with veg which surely is a good healthy diet for anyone?
DON'T let your disease get you down!!! I know with mine it will only get worse with time but everything I can do positive for my body now HAS to be worth it!!
Take Care
C x

Hey Topaz,
I was ok on Attack, the protein really seemed to agree with me and I felt far less... unstable than when I had been eating bread and carbs etc.
The only thing I have to watch out for is eating too many veg at once, but so long as I spread them throughout the day and have protein with them, so far I've been ok!

Back