Dukan Flu Or Man Flu?

Mark James

Laughing Gravy
From time to time I have symptoms like the onset of a cold (horrible taste in back of throat/nose), headache, generally below-par. But it never goes any further, then next day I feel fine. It can't be man flu, because I've been at death's door with that many a time - women don't know how men suffer. Only joking!

I can't be craving carbs after 9 weeks can I? I've never consciously craved them from day 1. Has anyone else experienced the dreaded Dukan Flu?

Hmmm - fascinating.

If it is Dukan-flu it's not so much "carb craving" as being deeper into ketosis than is normal in Dukan.

The pv days are supposed to keep us in "perodic ketosis", ie dipping in and out of light ketosis over the course of the week (or even the day).

The fact that it disappears the next day does suggest that it is linked to your pp/pv rotation.

Next time you get it - try eating a tomato, and see if it goes away.

I've nothing useful to add to the discussion... but I like your style Mark ;)

I had the "flu" 3 days into attack for 48 hours but then it disappeared and I feel great now. Can you get Dukan Flu 9 plus weeks into the diet? My understanding was the symptoms are caused by the process of ketosis kicking in.

I had the "flu" 3 days into attack for 48 hours but then it disappeared and I feel great now. Can you get Dukan Flu 9 plus weeks into the diet? My understanding was the symptoms are caused by the process of ketosis kicking in.

Exactly. Those symptoms sound like Ketosis flu - particularly the bed taste. Most Dukaneers don't get the symptoms once they start a pp/pv rotation because they dip in and out of a "light" or "periodic" ketosis.

One (and it is only one) explanation for Mark's symptoms is that his body dips further into ketosis than most dukaneers, far enough to get a short dose of "atkins flu"that disappears as soon as he eats carbs (oatbran or veggies)

That is why I suggested testing the theory by eating a small amount of carbs (like a tomato, or carrot) to see if that lifts the flu.

If it does, then, yes, it could be a mild case of ketosis flu, and Mark may be able to find ways of preventing it.

If it doesn't, then it might be one of the other things that makes us feel off colour from time to time.

Thanks for that, Atropos, I'll give it a go if it happens again. Although yesterday was a PV day and before I felt ill earlier in the day I'd eaten salad and vegetables. I don't think it can be hayfever, because I've been out walking in the countryside when the pollen count's been high these last few weeks and I've been fine.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else had experienced anything similar.

Sorry if I sound flippant or over interested...

Does it respond to painkillers?

Paracetamol and brufen didn't seem to make much difference, but there's no temperature.

I've just had a doctor's appointment on an unrelated matter and my GP couldn't explain it - mind you, he's so laid-back, you'd have to be dead before he showed any interest. The good news is, my cholesterol and blood pressure are both normal having been high for years. So Dukan is obviously agreeing with me.

Sounds more and more like Dukan/Atkins flu.

Your doctor sounds cool with it - and as you are losing quite fast, you might be able to slow down a little, have a few more PV days in the rotation, and avoid dipping so deep into ketosis that it makes your head hurt!

I've just had a doctor's appointment .... The good news is, my cholesterol and blood pressure are both normal having been high for years. So Dukan is obviously agreeing with me.

That's great news Mark :D

Great news, well done.

Are you drinking enough water? Dehydration can bring on a headache, also even though we're always talking about cutting it out are you getting some salt, especially during the hotter weather. Though that shouldnt be a factor now its turned arctic.

Thank you Joanne, it’s really encouraging. And thanks Jaqys - I’m drinking loads of water but probably not getting enough salt as I don’t eat any processed food anymore.

Atropos, you’re incisive as ever. It occurred to me a while ago that I was too far into ketosis and probably losing too much too fast, around 4lbs a week. This was great when I started and had a lot to lose, but now I want to slow it down, so I’m reigning back on the exercise and will have more PV days.

Thanks for all your help, but I’ll call an end to this thread now because I don’t want to come across as a typical hypochondriac bloke! I honestly haven’t had a full-blown cold or any other illness for well over a year. The benefits of Dukan far outweigh feeling a bit off it now and again.

Mark

Back