Dukan Holiday/Vacation/Overnight Stays/AwayDay tips (NO CHAT PLS)

alottolose

Gold Member
Hey guys

on the back of DukanDebut's excellent post..I thought I'd create this thread...as the titled suggests....JUST tips please and no chat...so others can scroll quickly through the tips....x

Thanks, alottolose!

You know, I was wondering whether it would be worth having a thread for tips on how to survive overnight stays/holidays whilst on Dukan?

Anyway, I took with me one of those lightweight foil insulated carrier bags, along with a couple of little freezer blocks that you can buy pretty cheaply in Wilkinsons. I packed it with enough food to get me through the whole couple of days, assuming that I might not find suitable food. I'd checked beforehand that there was a fridge in the hotel room.

I took with me:
- slices of ham
- hard boiled eggs
- yoghurts
- 2 days supply of Dukan muffins (made with Mullerlight Toffee - yum! - and which contained my full rations of oatbran)
- Dukan quiche
- some small bottles of water

As we were going out in the evening, we had a big lunch instead. Found a lovely pub, where I ate a ribeye steak and mixed salad (gave the lovely chips to my friend!) Back at my hotel room, I ate some of my Dukan rations for a light dinner before we went out at night.

Breakfast came from my rations, but we had lunch in a really nice little cafe. I asked the staff nicely and they kindly made me poached eggs with grilled tomato and mushrooms instead of the full English breakfast on the menu.

For drinks, I had the water I'd brought and I stuck to Diet Coke the rest of the time.

Hope that helps someone. It really is very helpful indeed to have a fridge in your room, if poss.

Search for dukan friendly restaurants in the area.
Check menus in advance work out the most friendly options.
If the mains all look too carby check out the starters.
Eat well before you go.
Have a string of excuses ready if you dont want to go into diet details, cant drink due to driving/antibiotics/early start.
Biltong (expensive but so so portable) is good to have in your bag as no worries about it spoiling.
Take a ziplock bag of bran you can add it to yogurt that you buy where you are.
Canned fish (with ringpulls if poss), take a fork.
Invite people to yours.

I also bought some airtight plastic boxes with lids which are microwaveable. Not only do these protect the food, but you can also use them to heat stuff in the microwave if you're lucky enough to have one in your room (like I did). Lakeland sell a stack of them - although they may be cheaper elsewhere.

if im out i always take a sugar free jelly with me and a plastic spoon
oatbran could be biscuits if you dont like it in yogurt or no cooking facilities

ask the restaurant/cafe staff to cook meals slightly different to suit your dukan day. Most are willing to oblige.

when i am eating out i usually have a chicken caeser salad with no dressing or croutons (now im on conso i can have the parmasan). Or i order some grilled chicken and salad. Taking some VMC would be useful if your travelling. If you try hard enough just about any menu has something dukan friendly

Going to be away a lot through work, so am going to buy a mini fridge for taking with me.

Anyone who's do e this already please let me know what you'd recommend. Thanks.

I have an emergency pack of food in the bottom most pocket of my handbag, in case I get caught away from home, or have to take off in a hurry.

It has a bag of biltong, a small can of tuna with a ring pull, 2 tblsp of oatbran in a plastic baggie, some catering sachets of pepper, mustard and splenda from my local coffee shop (I just picked up a few extra one day), and a plastic fork and napkin in cling film.

I got the idea from my mum, who has coeliacs, and always takes an emergency supply of crackers, nuts etc, just in case.

I always ask cafes restaurant ect for my food my way!! Grilled chicken, no chips, extra chicken instead of the chips! I find asking very politely with good manners goes miles and I have never struggled to get dukan friendly stuff you just have to be very creative!!!

I always ask cafes restaurant ect for my food my way!! Grilled chicken, no chips, extra chicken instead of the chips! I find asking very politely with good manners goes miles and I have never struggled to get dukan friendly stuff you just have to be very creative!!!

Yes, whilst a few places stick rigidly to the menu, it's usually possible to sweetheart most into adjusting the food to make it Dukan-friendly. As Louise says, asking nicely makes the world of difference.

Back