Dukan novice

Oh don't worry too much. Just put in a PP day tomorrow and loads of water to flush the extra carbs out. Full-blown attack is rarely advisable. These little slips happen to most people occasionally. Now you should be able to get a handle on these cravings and not feel hungry anymore - are you actually eating enough? Jo should be along in a moment to tell you exactly how much you need to eat :)

Boredom eating - yes I know that one! I used to just have another yoghurt, or on a PV day a piece of cucumber, ah and I always had a bowl of cherry tomatoes out as treats (instead of fruit). The acid test is whether you'd eat a piece of chicken or an egg at that moment - if not then you were definitely not hungry!

I also make baked egg custards (some variation on the recipe in the book, using 2 eggs and make up to 400ml with skimmed milk) and they are a nice snack when I need a treat. You can also flavour them with coffee.

Don't worry about the kit kat too much - it's done now, so the best thing as Anja says is loads of water and maybe a day or two of pp and try and get some exercise in there too to flush the carbs out. Next time you feel tempted remember how you felt after this one and that it will only set you back in the long run. Once you start seeing more good results like the ones you've had so far you'll feel more resolved to stay on the straight and narrow, and if you can keep in mind how you feel now about this last kit kat it should be easier to resist!

Each slip is harder to recover from so you must really try and keep them to a minimum as much as possible

Okay, thanks for your advice :) I'll try to get back on track.. I have a bottle of water next to me and I'll go to the gym in the morning.. hopefully that will do the job. Anja, thanks for the tips I'll try them, I like cherry tomatoes and cucumber so definitely will keep a supply of them around. I'm back to night shifts tomorrow, so hopefully that'll keep me from boredom! :p

Kiwi - I don't think you're eating enough protein... if you're hungry, eat two chicken breasts! Heck eat the whole chicken! Just don't go near those kitkats! As a serial boredom eater myself, the cure obviously was to keep busier (so I did crosswords when watching TV, or did the ironing or something). Walking in front of tempting shops wasn't a problem because I didn't take money with me, so short of shoplifting, I had no access to these things... My shopping list was rigid and complete, and I bought only those items.

Strict measures were required to get me slimmer, which might sound extreme to some now - particularly as Dukan normally does sort out these cravings, at least while you're following it carefully - worked for me at 22 stone without the benefit of ketosis!

I hope you've done some cooking in advance to help with those night shifts... that helps me a lot too; knowing that there is food, Dukan friendly food, at all times not too far away!

Good luck!

<Next kitkat or slip, the nasty witch comes to play!>

Wise words Jo.

Kiwi I think this diet is pretty strict and that is why you see good results. However because it is so strict I think slipups like kitkats really affect results and you will be confusing your body. As Emm says, the slipups can be pretty hard to recover from and still get results.

Aw arnt you all dead nice!! For me here really helps with boredom and the Dukan one on Facebook helps. I am taking a piccy every week and measuring myself and seeing difference really motivates me!

The book is good too. I have been doing dukan for 3 weeks and am amazed my hunger is gone! It's so freeing to have control around food, I have never had that before on any diet and that makes it all worthwhile!!

I can only confirm what Louise said - if you do it right (no more kit-kats please...) the hunger and cravings will go, making it DEAD EASY to keep on track. I had no problem still 'running the household', cooking, shopping and feeding the rest of my family with healthy food which includes nice treats and biscuits and full fat products, so the cupboards at home are always filled with Dukan-unsuitable food.

Hey guys, thanks heaps for the advice! I understand that even a small slip can cause big problems with this diet, I'll try to be more careful in future.
Been a super busy week! I had a great day though, had a bunch of people round to mine for lunch, made some Dukan friendly stuff and some 'normal' food and it went really well. Had a bit of a problem with non-friendly leftovers but managed to palm a lot of them off on my friends and the rest went in the bin (I felt really wasteful but luckily it wasn't that much, and keeping it around would only lead to trouble). No weight lost this week but I guess I kind of expected that.. bring on next week!
I hope you guys are having a good week, its sunny in Cambridge and really feels like spring is on the way! Can't wait! :)
Joanne, I think you might be right about the protein so I'm getting some freezer supplies in too this week just in case.

Good to hear you sounding so upbeat... any weight loss to report? You could post your menus regularly so that we can help out...

[...]
Had a bit of a problem with non-friendly leftovers but managed to palm a lot of them off on my friends and the rest went in the bin (I felt really wasteful but luckily it wasn't that much, and keeping it around would only lead to trouble).
[...]

Ah yes the leftovers - it is SO HARD isn't it.

In my case it's usually only the kids' leftovers, but I manage to leave alone now & bin. It's stupid, the food in question is never much, half a bowl of breakfast cereal or a fork full of baked beans etc, but I am still reluctant to throw edible food away. I suppose I could let it sit for a couple of hours and it would HAVE TO go....
I was always taught/made to clear my plate, by my parents/grandparents who all lived through major deprivation during the war (a scrap of candle wax for frying, anyone?). Definitely no throwing away of any leftovers there! But that's what got us here - eating past the point at which really, you are full. At least my kids seem to be more in control of their stomachs and know when they're full. As long as they have tried a bite or two of everything on their plate, they are NOT forced to finish anything. Amazingly they even manage to put away half-eaten desserts when they have had enough (but those definitely have to be kept 'for later').

Ah and PS - yes definitely spring in the air in Cambridge - lots of blossom coming out in the Hills Road area where I go for walks at lunch time. Puts you in a good mood!

Well done on resisting the left-overs, Kiwi! It's lovely when the friends for whom you've prepared food are supportive of your diet. Last time I cooked for some, they even tried some of my Dukan stuff and liked it (or at least they were polite and said they did). It's even better if they'll take away the non-Dukan-friendly left-overs with them as it seems so much less of a waste then.

No, no weight loss to report this week, trying to stay away from the scales, once a week is enough! Otherwise I suspect I may get a bit too obsessed ;-)
Kids are amazing, they haven't lost the ability to eat as much as they need and no more, very enviable.
Good day today I think, busy one at work.
PP
B - yoghurt (muller vanilla)
L - ham and a failed galette (didn't flip properly so I made it into a weird scrambled egg/breadcrumby thing with some spices)
D - chicken breast in the George Foreman plus a sugar free jelly and some ham.. I'm stuffed full of protein now!
Loving springtime! I didn't have to use the lights on my bike this morning it was so light on the way to work :) looking forward to daylight savings now.

I hear you re lighter mornings. It's still pretty dark here now, and I'm off in a mo, but it's lovely seeing the morning "arrive" as I walk... :D

Hi everyone, I am a newbie and have been shopping ready to start so would welcome advice.

I dont do fish or pork but was told you can have sausages and beefburgers....any idea what i should be looking out for when buying, also what yoghurts are best...any tips appreciated.

thank you

Have you read the book - it really is worthwhile.

You can't have pork anyway and I seem to remember the book says you can have goat sausages, if you can find such a thing - 'normal' sausages - no. Beefburgers you are better off making your own with less than 5% fat beef.

Natural yogurt with a little sweetener is the best kind; fruit yogurts or ones with sugar are not allowed. Have a look on the recipe thread and on the daily menu thread for ideas and don't forget your oatbran.

Oh, nice I love the idea of watching the morning sunrise :) Do you know when daylight savings will start? Then maybe I can come home without the bike lights...

PP today:

B - Galette (worked this time) with muller vanilla yoghurt
L - some ham, sugarfree jelly
D - Salmon on the grill, yum :) Plus another yoghurt and sugarfree jelly.. I should have had more for lunch.

Can't wait! I'm really looking forward to this summer :) I have a lot of travel plans already :D
I'm down another kilo or couple of pounds so 93.5 kg this week. And I'm on HOLIDAY :) I have two weeks off.. I'm thinking France? Any recommendations of where to go appreciated... I've got a book out of the library to have a read of today and try and come up with some ideas.

Yesterday was PV
B - some of those microwave muffins with a yoghurt - I tried that recipe for the first time this week and they are awesome, so handy and even I can cook them! Thanks heaps for posting them Anja :)
L - Salad (lettuce, tomatoes, turkey ham and balsamic vinegar to dress)
D - scrambled eggs with onion and ham and a wedge of extra light laughing cow cheese.

Went to the pub for a drink after work but just had diet coke, no worries :)

Back