e readers

Aaleigha

soon to be mother of the bride
if you own one which one and would you recommend it
what made you buy that particular one

if you dont have one but want one which are you tempted to buy

Dh has told me to make up my mind for xmas
just browsing on the net I quite like the look of the sony 650(release date 17th) but would like to hear what you all think

I must admit I dont see the appeal of them, I like to sit with a book. I downloaded one onto my itouch and it just didnt feel right lol

I read a lot and carrying books back and forth when I walk most places can be heavy and imagine the books you can take on holiday for the holiday read without taking up precious room or adding to the weight

I believe the great advantages of the Kindle is the ease of downloading from Amazon and the cost of the books. I havnt compared many yet, but for instance The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is £2.68 from Amazon and £5.59 from Waterstones for ereaders

Also, i paid about £8 from Amazon for Alan Sugars WYSIWYG and its £19 from Waterstone for ereaders

I had the Samsung one that WHSmith sells. I like eReaders but that one was rubbish.

Might get a Kindle before I go away with work in April if I manage to lose at leat 40lbs by then... If not it'll be every spare minute in the gym while I'm away. :)

The kindle seems to be getting the vote
I did think I might go for the sony - but now need a rethink
being able to pack so many books with no weight is so good :)

I have a kindle and it my best friend!!! I absoloutely love it and its my best purchase of 2010! (oh apart from my exante packs lol)
I'd recommend one to anyone. No more holding heavy hard back books and losing your pages. The kindle is so light and keeps your last page.
I love taking books on holiday, now I download a few before I go and take my kindle that doesn't take up any room in your case.
If you're thinking of purchasing one, go for it you wont be disappointed.

xoxoxoxo

Heya Laura,

Hows the wifi/3g on the kindle?

The wifi on my samsung never worked, which is part of why I took it back. The page turning was erratic too. :S

I know you aimed the q at Laura, but i thought i would add my opinion. I went for the Kindle Wifi version, as i couldnt really see the point of paying extra for 3G. I guess 3g would be useful if you travel alot and cant guarantee getting a wifi connection, and are apt to need to download books in an emergency! but otherwise I dont really ese the need for it. The wifi works perfectly, never had an issue with it, and the download is mega fast.

Heya Lynn,

Thanks for the gen. Think I'm deffo gonna start saving for one.

Shelz,

Sometimes an ebook is just more practical. I've lost count of the number of books I've had to sell/send to charity shops because I was moving home yet again and just didn't have the space for them... wouldn't have happened if I'd had them as ebooks instead. :)

Hi Shelz, the advantage of an ebook is that I can be reading it less than a minute after deciding to buy it, and no postage costs either! Although ebooks do attract VAT for some reason whereas printed books dont.
Also i take my kindle to work with me in my bag, takes up less space than a book, is very light, and im actually carrying 20 books around with me right now. So i can dip into any of them whenever I feel like it.

Ebooks are also cheaper (from Amazon anyway) and there are many that are even free from Amazon.

The biggest advantage will be when i go away on holiday. Im a voracious reader when im on holiday and can easily get through 8 to 10 books in a fortnight, but buying english books abroad is a pain, and carrying them in my luggage is a significant weight issue.

The big disadvantage of ebooks is that i cannot lend them to my friends once ive read them.

Heya Lynn,

Thanks for the gen. Think I'm deffo gonna start saving for one.

Shelz,

Sometimes an ebook is just more practical. I've lost count of the number of books I've had to sell/send to charity shops because I was moving home yet again and just didn't have the space for them... wouldn't have happened if I'd had them as ebooks instead. :)

oooh,i never,ever part with my books, i have thousands and i never part with them,unless ive bought something awful, then i send it to charity! ive plenty of space though,i had my loft converted and a lot are up there :D

Hi Shelz, the advantage of an ebook is that I can be reading it less than a minute after deciding to buy it, and no postage costs either! Although ebooks do attract VAT for some reason whereas printed books dont.
Also i take my kindle to work with me in my bag, takes up less space than a book, is very light, and im actually carrying 20 books around with me right now. So i can dip into any of them whenever I feel like it.

Ebooks are also cheaper (from Amazon anyway) and there are many that are even free from Amazon.

The biggest advantage will be when i go away on holiday. Im a voracious reader when im on holiday and can easily get through 8 to 10 books in a fortnight, but buying english books abroad is a pain, and carrying them in my luggage is a significant weight issue.

The big disadvantage of ebooks is that i cannot lend them to my friends once ive read them.

is there no way you can send that ebook to another ebooker? similar to bluetooth?

oooh..it didnt think you could do that with them ereaders ;)

I have had a Sony PRS505 reader for a couple of years now and love it. :)

I love the ease of downloading books, and having them all stored on a card. I have over 200 books now.

I would like the Kindle but dont think they books I have are compatible with the Kindle book format, which is a shame.

I have to plug my Sony in to pc to downloads books as it an old model now... but would love the ease of wifi downloading.

I wouldnt be without my ereader and it goes everywhere with me. Handy when stuck in delays for a quick read and brilliant for hols so dont have to cart heavy books.

Really would recommend one. :)

see this is the thing...i dont actually travel that much,so i wouldnt benefit from it that way.

i do visit my mum on a saturday and sunday with the kids for a few hours and i do sometimes take my book with me.

i dont think i would get a huge amount of use from one,in comparison to say, someone who is using public travel a lot for work and such but...

that doesnt stop me from wanting one! i love all things book and reading related, so i probably will still get one..

im leaning more towards the kindle but... i would still benefit from waterstones as i have the points card and the collected points i will use to buy more books... hmmmmm decisions.....

Back