Early morning exercise & breakfast

Mini_Mog

Silver Member
I'm planning on going to the gym first thing in the morning while I'm on annual leave from work this next two weeks. Obviously I'll need breakfast before. I'm planning on 28g porridge oats (cooked with sk milk) & a banana. Will I be ok exercising 10-20 mins after eating this or would I be better waiting a while? If so how long? I usually go a good 2-3 hrs after eating a light meal.

this might not work for others, but when i do my sat and sun morning workouts i dont eat breakfast before hand, instead of burning off what ive eaten its burns off the fat thats already stored and i have the breakfast afterwards so i dont feel drained...

There was an artical about this in Womens Fittness (this months I think) and the pros and cons of execising before or after breakfast. As I remember it agreed with what gina has said.. I'll dig it out and have another read :)

definatly dont skip the breakfast altogether though,even if your in a rush id just get a filling flapjack or a piece of fruit

I walk, swim or run every morning about 40 mins after my breakfast (protein shake). It gives me energy and gives my metabolism a boost. I then head straight to work so it started just as a convenience thing for me. However, I do try to incorporate HIIT so i probably need the food to ward off going into a cataboliic state.
If you are doing resistance work then my advice would be to eat before and after as there are many who suggest that you will not use recently eaten foods as a fuel source but instead first use stored glycogen and fat. Your blood sugars also drop about 20 mins into a workout so if your last meal was early the previous evening it could impact on your training effectiveness.

In the end though it depends on you. What makes you feel more comfortable? How does your body respond? Go with what you think but don't be afraid to be wrong and try something else.

thank you for your replies everyone:)

i had a banana and a hifi bar in the end. felt fine during workout, i was mainly concerned about getting the balance right between having enough energy to do the workout and not ending up with a stitch from digesting my breakfast. ended up having a really good workout and loved having the opportunity to go in the morning when gym was quiet. shame i have to go to work and cant go at 9 everyday!

I made the mistake of eating to close to my Zumba class the other week..... Not good.. I thought I was going to be ill (if you get my drift) in the middle of the class..

Back