Early start to NY resolution - want to join me?

Shetland Lass

Hey everyone

I have decided to start my new year resolution early and was hoping somebody (anybody) out there would want to join me?! I'm new to this forum so I hope this is something I am allowed to do!

My resolution is to do some form of exercise every day as I feel so much better when I do and I have let it slip recently. I got married this summer and I am very happy with my life, but not so with my weight now! Could do with losing about 2 stone now . . .

I am hoping we can motivate each other day-to-day, commiserate each other when it goes wrong and congratulate each other when we reach a goal. Anyone at all who is wanting to use exercise as part of their weight loss plans please reply - even if you are half way to your goal weight! I could do with your expertise and advice!

I'm planning on doing running, fitness DVDs, the gym, some yoga (using books and the DS) and various games on the Wii.

Right, big deep breath before I click 'submit' and fingers crossed that someone joins me! Thank you for reading this. x

Ok. Thirteen views and no replies yet! It may just have to be a blog!

Well I have just done a workout as part of the 30 day challenge on Wii's EA Sport game. Feeling great and pleased I have started. Just wish I didn't eat so much rubbish earlier on tonight . . .

Off for a shower. Good night. :)

Today I shall dust off my Wii and do 30 mins step. I don't feel like doing the 60 day challenge at the mo (I have the More Workouts) but I'll join you!

Yay! Thank you! How did you get on with your Wii steps? I am really sore after last night but going to go ahead with day 2 of the 30 day challenge or I'll be even worse tomorrow!

What is the More Workouts then? Is that a new game? I've just ordered Jillian Michaels new one (I think she is the trainer from The Biggest Loser in America) so I will let you know what I think of that when it arrives.

Thank you for joining me! x

There we are! 30 mins step 225 cals! I wouldn't have done it without you egging me on! Thanks. :D

Have just been out and got the game you recommended - noticed there are abs exercises too, oh dear! Think I'll try and get the 30 day one done before I attempt the 60 day!

Well done for the steps. You have put me to shame! I'm waiting til later to do mine in the hope that my legs will cope better with it. Think it was the inline skating which did it for me. Ow.

I seem to remember loads of lunges! They did for me! I didn't think my knees would stand them but I felt great after the first 30 day challenge! And I lost 2" off both my waist and hips in that time despite my weightloss being almost non-existant ! (I never came to terms with the fast kick-ups tho!:eek:)
The More Workouts has alot more cardio, and the resisted exercises are different. You might want to upgrade your resistance band to blue as the red one doesn't do much.

Resistance exercise band 1.5 metre ANY STRENGTH! on eBay (end time 04-Jan-10 15:06:28 GMT)

Oh and I keep my knees bent when I do the abs exercises. To protect my back.

Just bought a green and blue resistance band too. This forum is costing me! Hopefully the lost £ pounds will transfer into lb pounds.

I have been reading your 30 day challenge diary and it has got me all excited about getting on with my exercise so thank you. :)

EASA transformed my shape! I have struggled for more years than probably you have been born! I am now the same size as 30 years ago (tho heavier!) It also sorted my back pain. It has been far more effective than going to a gym! (I only have to go downstairs and it cost a months subscription!)
Do you still live on Shetland? My son and family live on Lewis.

Yes I am still in Shetland. Never been to the Wesren Isles but it is on my to-do list!

It is freezing up here just now and we still have snow in some areas of the isles. The roads and pavements were covered in ice last night so I am hoping they are in a better state before we go out and about tomorrow night.

I have absolutely no excuse with the gym - it is only a few minutes away and I get to visit free because I do a few shifts at the sports centre. I'm just very unmotivated most of the time! If I get into a routine with exercise then I am great - but one missed day and that's me started a new routine (a lazy one which usually includes eating more rubbish too!).

Being heavier will be all that new muscle that you have. Think my weight is largely down to fat just now - oh well! I'm working on it. x

I have done my EA Sports workout for today and about twenty minutes on the Wii Fit. Yay!

Had a lovely shower and I am off to bed. Part two of Day of the Triffids will need to wait until tomorrow!

Thanks again judimac!

Just done Day 8 and my legs feel like jelly! As it was lower body I did some boxing which I like better on the More Workouts than the original. I look better than on the original too!
Thanks for giving me a prod to get back to exercise, I actually got up this morning thinking I must do some today!

Hello ladies. Well done on getting started! I've been procrastinating perfectly since Christmas day. I've had 7 days off and not done a jot apart from a dog walk today....and here's the scary bit - half marathon looming in 7 weeks...Anyways, here's my challenge to you - why don't you pick a running goal - may be a 10k - something to get stuck into for say, early May time.... I'm trying to lose 1.5 stone before bridesmaid dress fitting in April - so i want to tone up the rest of me too. So i'm committing to 2x dvd work outs a week - i've got 2 davina's, charlie brooks, a combat one and a weights one so no excuses for me! I'm hoping that plus a long, short and medium run a week, plus SW should get me going! Look forward to the updates!

Very quick message - not going to get 'exercise' done today though I think I have burnt enough calories lugging shopping around supermarket and home (twice), making chilli, baking a pavlova and general tidying! Still feel guilty though. Off out first footing soon but I am going to go easy on the alcohol so that I can get going properly on the NY resolution.

Well done judimac - I will do a run AND a Wii workout tomorrow to make up for how fab you have been and how unfab I have!

Beccy Bebe I am up for that extra challenge - I will have to see what there is available up here or perhaps get some flights booked to the mainland for a race down there. I don't really like racing but agree that it is great to have a goal to work towards, and perhaps I will enjoy it more if I can come on here after and let you all know how I did! Mind to keep us posted on how you do too!

Will talk to you all tomorrow. Have a Happy Hogmannay when it arrives everyone! x

A very Happy New Year to you both! Beccy the thought of running makes me want to lie down in a darkened room! However! There was a plan in an old Slimming World magazine that took you from couch potato to (I think 5K) so I will look that out and give it a ponder! (we have however woken up to snow again this morning!)
My quads and hamstrings are quite sore this morning so I must be doing something right! I shall let my brain clear and then attack the Wii!

Last edited:
Hiya. Well you have inspired me already. After I posted that yesterday I thought it was a bit rich of me sitting in the toasty warm so I pulled on my trainers and got out the door! 6 miles - my first effort in 2 weeks to be honest....and today it hurts!!! Going to try and do a dvd later to loosen things up again!

Blimey Beccy! What do you do for an encore?
I gradually stiffened up by lunchtime so I decided I couldn't face any more squats, so I did 30 mins free step on the Wii. Now my legs are really sore!

Whoa, WHOA!

"I'm planning on doing running, fitness DVDs, the gym, some yoga (using books and the DS) and various games on the Wii."

Yikes... don't know if I'm going solo on this, but I think you might be asking too much of yourself. If you take on everything at once odds are you might start feeling a bit overwhelmed - its all good fun at first but I think you might find it a little much as a design for living (remeber, in order to maintain any weight loss or fitness you need an exercise plan that will eventually become a lifestyle).

The gym is an awesome environment with lots of choice and can benefit the whole body - go for it! Get an instructor to advise you what the best course of action is. Ditch the workout DVDs and streach bands (don't hit me anyone!) - doing that at home is easy to avoid and your mind will come up with a stack of avoidance excuses - if you actually make the effort to GO somewhere you will probably finish your workout as its better than wasting the trip.

As for yoga, thats not fabulous to do with workout books, its too easy to make mistakes; either you will not get the workout you mean to or you could injure yourself. Pay to go to a yoga class - you will get a proper workout, meet some nice people and its nice to have the instructors acknowledge your improvements.

Wii fit is a kind and rewarding device - well worth the money,and not too strenuous.

Better spend money on things you know you will stick to.

As for running/jogging... I'll spare you the long passionate speech about my LOVE of running. Suffice to say, its worth a shot :D

Hey guys

Well done judi and beccy, I'm glad we are spurring each other on! I went out for a run (in the snow and on slippy paths, so only did 4 laps of the park) but I did my Wii workout too so I am feeling very pleased with myself and I am full of feel-good endorphins!

Cateka - thank you for the advice and concern and I see where you are coming from but I am not going to do all of that at once - honest! I usually exercise every day and feel fabulous when I do, but I have let it slip after I got married in the summer and after starting a new job. I'm quite sporty (I play rugby and do windsurfing etc!) so I am just trying to get back to my usual routine and was hoping that the likes of judimac and beccy (and you) could keep me motivated at the end of a hard day. It is working so far! I agree about the yoga -it is so easy to do it wrong but I have also been on various yoga holidays and weekend retreats and I go to a weekly class so I mostly use it at the end of a run as my stretch and I know the basics.

Beccy and cateka - what training programme do you both follow for your running? I'd be interested to find out as there are so many different options I often just end up going and running!

Judi, I was also going to ask you whether I should just stick with the roiginal EA sports til I finish the 30 day challenge, or whether I should try loading up the More Workouts when it comes. Boy are my thighs hurting today/tonight! If you do go with the running (you should, it makes you feel fab) just sart nice and slown and add a litte bit more distance every day. Zest Magazine released a book called Running Made Easy which I would definitely recommend. It got my Mum and aunt (both exercise phobes) up and running and my Mum did a 5k with me a while ago. V v good book!

Right, have babbled on for way too much and need to get to bed.

Talk tomorrow and happy new year folks! x

Back