Eating and self care

KD

Gone fishing
Eating is to do with looking after yourself. It has nothing to do with proper behaviour, morality or ethics.

We eat to care for ourselves, either physically or emotionally. Sometimes eating for the wrong reasons means that we harm ourselves in the long run, but for the moment we are taking care of ourselves.

So why do we feel ashamed when we eating something off plan? Why do we beat ourselves up and feel embarrassed?

Compare this to other things we do to take care of ourselves; for example, sleeping. If you go to bed late and wake up feeling tired, you may well be a little annoyed, and do a little promise to yourself to go to bed earlier the next night, but do you feel guilt? Do you feel shame? Do you go all out in hate yourself mode?

Do you think you’ve failed and will now be doomed to a life of late nights?

So let’s get this in perspective. You can eat whatever you want, whenever you want it and you can eat as much as you want. It’s your absolute right.

You are totally responsible for looking after yourself. So, no beatings up, no guilt, no shame. Just learning and practicing how to look after ourselves long term and get what we want out of life. Be it slim, or being refreshed after a good nights sleep.

Be kind to yourselves folks.

Eating is to do with looking after yourself. It has nothing to do with proper behaviour, morality or ethics.

We eat to care for ourselves, either physically or emotionally. Sometimes eating for the wrong reasons means that we harm ourselves in the long run, but for the moment we are taking care of ourselves.

So why do we feel ashamed when we eating something off plan? Why do we beat ourselves up and feel embarrassed?

Compare this to other things we do to take care of ourselves; for example, sleeping. If you go to bed late and wake up feeling tired, you may well be a little annoyed, and do a little promise to yourself to go to bed earlier the next night, but do you feel guilt? Do you feel shame? Do you go all out in hate yourself mode?

Do you think you’ve failed and will now be doomed to a life of late nights?

So let’s get this in perspective. You can eat whatever you want, whenever you want it and you can eat as much as you want. It’s your absolute right.

You are totally responsible for looking after yourself. So, no beatings up, no guilt, no shame. Just learning and practicing how to look after ourselves long term and get what we want out of life. Be it slim, or being refreshed after a good nights sleep.

Be kind to yourselves folks.
What a wonderful sentiment. You should be a dame for your services to overweight women everywhere xx

Wow KD that is an amazing point and very bloody true!!!! Imagine going to bed late every night just to spite yourself cos you went late one night.... hmmmm a lot of food for thought in that one!!!

The only problem is the eating thing, unless you are very conscious of it, is hard to stop yourself when you turn into 'ah feck it what harm will another curry do' mode... if ya know what I mean??? I suppose it is just a matter of re-training the brain to associate the same feelings for looking after yourself well like sleep etc and connecting them to food.... I'm rambling but making sense to me lol

Great post KD :D:D

The only problem is the eating thing, unless you are very conscious of it, is hard to stop yourself when you turn into 'ah feck it what harm will another curry do' mode... if ya know what I mean???

Yep, know exactly what you mean.

I often wished that the scales would reflect exactly what I had eaten...and sometimes wished they would make me put on the whole 8 stone if I did something stoopid. It would have been much more of a deterrent. But hey ho..they wouldn't :(

Instead they kept saying "how daft are you to trust what we are reporting" :D

That's why I firmly believe that though scales are a general guide to the trend, success is based on your actions alone.

Going slightly off course there, so to bring it back. You have a curry. You go "darn...why did I do that":confused:. Realise it wasn't such a good idea and decide what you will do next time the curry calls.

Or, you can don that hair vest, decide you are hopeless at the diet (despite many successful days) and instead of loving our imperfect selves, deciding that the whole day is now written off, and we will 'try' again tomorrow.

Whilst we at it. Firstly....Why do people write off the rest of the day? :confused: Why do people (including me for many years), think that diets have to start in the morning, and can end at any time of day?

I'm sure I had a reason at one time, but can't for the life of me work out what it was :D

Dammit KD I'm not allowed to rep you yet for yet another truly inspirational post...you do too bloomin many!!

Fantastic, and thank you :happy096:

Dammit KD I'm not allowed to rep you yet for yet another truly inspirational post...you do too bloomin many!!

LOL. I'll forgive. My rep is disabled anyway...so it wouldn't go anywhere :D

It's lovely to know that these sorts of posts are helpful to folk though :clap:

Excellent as always KD! XXX

Great post KD, just the sort of thing I need to be reading at the moment:)

I think I need you to come live in my house for a while, then every time I get the wobbles you can talk some sense into me:)

Tracey
x

A very insightful post, thank you :)

Laura x

Lurrrvly! Very true indeed...

Back