eating between 1200-1500 cals a day? will i lose weight?

sarahjo88

Banned
i am on slimfast, but still keeping an eye on my calorie intake, i am 20st 7lbs and i am aiming to have between 1200-1500 cals a day, will i lose weight doing this, or should i be having more or less?
xxx

Hi Sarah,

I am aiming for 1300 - 1500 cals per day and i've had a few blips but i'm still losing weight. I am set to have lost about a stone since the 5th January. We're pretty much the same size so i would think it should work for you too :)

Good luck honey!!

Sharon xoxo

i really dont know how many cals to eat!
i dont wanna starve myself, but wanna lose 2 pounds a week. at the moment i'm having 1000 - 1200 cals a day.
i've only just started again, today!
what do u think ?
i'm 5'5 n 12.2!! :cry:
last year i was 10 stone!:confused:
xx

Hi Stac3y,

I'm no expert but i would say that you're on the right track with those calorie goals. I don't think it's good to have less than 1000 cals. I did have a little look to see what your BMR and based it on age 25? as didn't know how old you are and it said 1432 - this is how many cals your body would need to work if you just rested all day.
Each pound is about 3500cals so i would say that you could lose about 1 - 1 1/2 pound per week on the calories that you stated.
I hope this helps :)

Sharon xoxo

Hey Stac3y and sarahjo88

I think it is pretty hard for anyone to say how many calories will be best for you as everyone is so individual.
I currently aim for 1200 a day and my best advice would be don't start off too low as going from eating a lot of calories to 1000 is a big jump and it's easy to get demoralised if you are always hungry. Also everyone will have a limit they simply can't go below, I have been on 1200 for ages now but before Christmas I tried to go to 1000 but kept on getting dizzy so went back up. :)

Also if you eat way less than your BMR for a period of time- your weight loss will stall, and you may even end up gaining as your body will think theres a kind of 'famine' going on and hold onto every bit of food that you put into your mouth!
Find out what your body needs, and work out what your body burns (if you're pretty sedentary, multiply your BMR by 1.2 to get a rough idea). If you take 500cals away from your 'burn' figure you'll lose 1lb a week, if you take 1000 cals away from your 'burn' figure, you'll lose 2lb a week- BUT be carefuly not to drop below your BMR figure or you could end up re-gaining all your lost weight?
Thats how most yo-yo dieters usually end up heavier than ever. They drop their cals way too low to begin with, they lose a bunch of weight, get fed-up and give up, then start all over again, but next time around the body is ready for this and will stall even quicker, so they drop the cals even more, still see no progress & give up again- and so on and so on. I know, I've been there.
Surely if you can lose weight by eating as much as possible thats a good thing? Plus it'll be much easier to maintain when you reach goal because you won't have to be 'starving' forever to maintain your weight.

hey!
welcome! and good luck! if i was you id start with 1800 as (no offence) 20 stone your bmr will be higher anyways so you can eat a bit more and loose weight at a faster pace to begin with so id start around 1800 and gradualli cut down :) you should see a good loss also!!!
x

it depends on how much you weigh. if you are 20st, even if u eat 2000kcal a day u will lose weight at first, because the more u weigh, the more energy your body needs to maintain:)

Back