eating out, Indian calories.

katoof

Silver Member
Hiya guys, does anyone know what's the calories for Indian restaurant food? Going out tonight and I Sn panicking on what's best to eat, how many calories to save etc

Any advice would be great

A large dry chicken tikka with salad. Bout the lowest choice there is lol. You'll be fine with a couple of poppadoms with onion salad if you go easy on the chutneys. just stay at least ten feet from the naan breads!! Some of the curries are easily over 1000 cals each before you start with the rice etc. So if you do go for curry have a tomato based one like a madras and maybe ask them not to use ghee if possible.

Hi Lisa, I had a takeaway last night and had a chicken byriani 834 cals but there are plenty of things lower in calories like tandoori chicken, or chicken Tika not sure of cals. Plain boiled rice is 350 cals and poppadoms are 65 cals each, go for cucumber Rita not the chutneys, there is a web site called weight sources that list several dishes calorific value or I posted the same question last night and got some good advice on what to have.
Enjoy it though and don't stress or feel guilty because it's a treat we don't have all the time

Cool thanks for the advice, I have 700 calories remaining so byriani may be a bit high... Does anyone have an idea the rough calories for chicken tika?

I posted about this in someone else's thread so I'll just copy and paste my advice :)

Indian..
Avoid things that are in sauces, go for dry things like tandoori chicken.
Stick to boiled rice, I think that's about 350 a portion whereas pilau is about 650!
NO naan, that's a ridiculous number of calories, you're looking at probably 400 each =/
Have poppadoms if you want something instead, they're about 65 calories each, depending on the size.
Choose chicken, veg or prawn over lamb or beef if you're going to have a curry, they'll be lower calories and fat. Korma and tikka masala are probably the worst for calories, think they're about 700ish each.
If you're going to have a dip, go for raita over mango chutney, it's about a third of the calories.

But most of all, whatever you have, enjoy it!

Tandoori chicken is about 300
Chicken Tikka is about 700
You could go for veg if you want biriyani, that's about 550 I think
I think madras is a lower calorie one, about 500

Will vary hugely from place to place though depending on sizes and exactly how they make it

Thanks everyone. I had chicken tika tandoori with salad and a popadom and a chapati so think I should be in my 700 cal bracket

Thankyou, I still have s long way to go though! Nearly 70lb left to loose

Back