Eating out...

Lostris

Serena's title didn't fit
Hi all,

I did cambridge diet and am counting calories now to find a good balance for myself. I hope it's okay to barge in here with my questions! :eek:

It's working quite well so far and I've made a lot of good choices but there are also things that worry me.

Today, I was away from home and had a low cal but very filling breakfast (crackers with no sugar jam etc) because I knew I'd be eating out in the afternoon.

We went to get a sandwich and I chose something I thought relatively healthy compared to the other options but when I calced the calories (worst case scenario!) it had about 350. (We'd already been to 2 other places which I brushed off as ''unhealthy'' *embarassed about obsessiveness*)

I'm terrible at asking at a counter ''does it have this, does it have that'' and I feel like a pain in the ass getting the people I'm with to go somewhere else when I don't think the food is ... healthy enough.

I know 350 calories isn't really a lot for a meal but it just ... shocked me because I thought it'd be less.

My question is, how do you make healthy low cal choices when you eat out? Any tips?

you will get used to it. ull get to know local places, what u can eat and what the best options are. your paying for the food, so ask for it to be made how u want it!

you will get used to it. ull get to know local places, what u can eat and what the best options are. your paying for the food, so ask for it to be made how u want it!

Hi

Thanks for your reply! I guess you're right! I should tell them to do x and leave x out etc.. I was just having a bit of a breakdown moment coz my stupid brain tells me 350 calories is evil. :copon:

I will hopefully get to know places and find the right choices in a blink.. will reassure me I hope.

x

I don't eat out often. Tend to wait until I get home. If I think that I might not get home for a while, I'll take a piece of fruit and always keep nuts in the car.

An apple and some nuts isn't a bad meal replacement ;) Protein, healthy fats and carbs.

Other times, I'll just eat out and grab whatever I fancy. It's all a case of balance :)

Hi!

Thanks for the tips KD! Will definately look into those options next time I go somewhere.. *grabs huuuge bag and stuffs it....*.

Seems like a good thing to do, it will let me be at ease for a bit too think I really need that right now!

Thanks for the advice!!!!

x

Hi!

Thanks for the tips KD! Will definately look into those options next time I go somewhere.. *grabs huuuge bag and stuffs it....*.

Seems like a good thing to do, it will let me be at ease for a bit too think I really need that right now!

Thanks for the advice!!!!

x

You're doing fine, and it's a bit scary isn't it. I remember feeling that if I had something away from what I had planned, that would be it. Might as well put the 8 stone back on :D

You'll gain confidence though and find ways around these things.

BTW, I remember being terrified of getting hungry. I noticed that husband and kids would happily go out just before lunch:eek: OMG...how could they:eek:

I could never do that before. I would be scared I would either get hungry or have to buy something unsuitable.

I decided one day to knock the fear on the head and made myself go out just before lunch whenever I could. Just to prove that being a bit hungry wasn't actually going to kill me :D

Now, except for family meals, when I eat works with when it's a good time. I'm less likely to work my day around the meals, but instead, slot my meals in when suitable.

That doesn't mean I grab and stuff though. I do try to eat consciously and make mealtimes important. It's just the timing of them that's more flexible now.

Ack...I've done a long post again. Grrrrrr:copon: Why do I keep doing that!

Shame on you KD for making these ridiculously long ( and ever so wise ) posts!! There should be laws against it!! :p

Honestly, it's quite terrifying! :) My mind is racing all the time! What if........... x, what if........ y. etc!!

I don't like going out when hungry either. It makes me stare at the big aisles in shops having naughties. :D I don't buy it... I just look at it all. Think about it. Check calories on the food... etc.... for about 30 minutes at least............... :eek: People in shops near my house must think I'm mad!! :)

Today I was actually feeling terribly hungry and we'd skipped lunch because we were busy moving stuff around. I didn't want to bring up eating though because I thought I was weird (go figure..) but when my dad and sister brought it up they were ever so considerate! ;)

They followed me around through the city looking at all the different stores / cafés / foodplaces they had on either the outside or inside (were only inside 3 shops that sold food but the outsides......)

They looked at the food too and then paused to look at me saying 'want to have this, we could go there and there and there if you don't so don't worry if you don't!!?'. Made me feel a bit silly HAHAH. They're such darlings really, they know I worry!! :eek::eek::eek:

I'm trying to eat slowly, consciously and make the mealtime important. It was a tip my CDC gave me last I saw her. Take time to eat, taste the food, put your fork / sandwich down between bites... etc. It does really work, I guess, because I don't think of food all day now (used to!). She also said if I wanted something that was a snack, I should lay it out in front of myself and think 'do i want this?' 'why do i want this?' etc.
She said there were tons of right answers and that I could obviously have x snack but that it was important to think about it before stuffing it in my face :rolleyes:

Whenever I'm out I try to find prepacked salads or sandwiches with calories on them and I study them sloooooowly before making my choice, problem is most cafés or restaurants don't have that luxourious option... Shame really. :D

I'm feeling a bit weird though. I thought I'd be stuffing my face, wanting sweets all the time but I haven't once seriously craved a snack since I got off CD. I've had a few nibbles of nuts or other things but I haven't thrown myself at snacks yet.... which... weirds me out. I really don't recognise this me. :confused:

x

Ah eating out can be a pleasurable experience tinged with mental torture! I nearly always tend to sit there wanting something very fattening, but yet knowing that I will not choose it in the end for fear of beating my OH later for allowing me to order it, (because either way, if he stops me or encourages me to order what I REALLY want, he might get beaten up depending on a mix of the weather, my hormone levels, and the totm possibilties.. how complicated are we?) :O

It sort of goes like this:

Me: "Hmm I'd love a cheesy pizza"

Hubby: "um.."

Me: "What do you think?"

Hubby: Fiddles with menu and starts going a bit pale'

(Some skinny minnie walks by!)

Me: "Maybe I shouldn't, maybe i'll just get the salad then, eh?"

Hubby: "um.. yeah good idea" - hides behind menu before getting thrashed lol!

Our meal usually finishes off with me feeling quite chuffed for not having ordered the fatty Pizza, but feeling really peeved that HE ate one in front of me! So I get i get the grumps with him anyway!

We just can't win can we girls!! lol

:D :D

Ah eating out can be a pleasurable experience tinged with mental torture! I nearly always tend to sit there wanting something very fattening, but yet knowing that I will not choose it in the end for fear of beating my OH later for allowing me to order it, (because either way, if he stops me or encourages me to order what I REALLY want, he might get beaten up depending on a mix of the weather, my hormone levels, and the totm possibilties.. how complicated are we?) :O

It sort of goes like this:

Me: "Hmm I'd love a cheesy pizza"

Hubby: "um.."

Me: "What do you think?"

Hubby: Fiddles with menu and starts going a bit pale'

(Some skinny minnie walks by!)

Me: "Maybe I shouldn't, maybe i'll just get the salad then, eh?"

Hubby: "um.. yeah good idea" - hides behind menu before getting thrashed lol!

Our meal usually finishes off with me feeling quite chuffed for not having ordered the fatty Pizza, but feeling really peeved that HE ate one in front of me! So I get i get the grumps with him anyway!

We just can't win can we girls!! lol

:D :D

Hahah!!! It's never good is it!! :D Sounds familiar. :)) Whenever I ask for something bad or order something bad anywhere my family all looks at me. 9/10 times I've carefully considered my choice though, and they don't know I did, and will have eaten less in morning / afternoon / evening whatever to make up for it. Their looks and all are good though. ;)

x

350 cals really isn't a lot for a sandwich - i've been shocked when i've eaten a sandwich and then found out its 6-700! I can see why it's scary after going from taking in 400 cals a day to trying to eat a 'normal' amount. I'm already feeling scared about eating again and i'm only 3 weeks into cd - i've a long way to go yet!

Check the calories in a ww point because a few menus will mark the points values in foods, can only think of brewers fayres off the top of my head.

350 cals really isn't a lot for a sandwich - i've been shocked when i've eaten a sandwich and then found out its 6-700! I can see why it's scary after going from taking in 400 cals a day to trying to eat a 'normal' amount. I'm already feeling scared about eating again and i'm only 3 weeks into cd - i've a long way to go yet!

Check the calories in a ww point because a few menus will mark the points values in foods, can only think of brewers fayres off the top of my head.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. Noone here marks menu's with WW points though. I'm from the Netherlands, don't know if it's like that where you're from but it really isn't here hehe. :eek:

Calories are usually on everything but when you eat something that's not pre-packaged it doesn't have a label with calories on it :D

I was very scared about eating normal food again, eating something I couldn't count etc.

It's gotten better though. I can enjoy something without knowing the calories as long as I compensate a bit the week after! ;)
I still have my moments of course but you will get there too, promise!

x

Sorry didn't realise where you were from. It's only a couple of places i've seen that do that here. It's strange but i'm actually quite enjoying not having to think about what to eat for a while at least! Trying not to think too much about coming off the diet yet since I know theres at least 3 months to go. Sorry I haven't got any other advice then, well done on all the weight you lost. I like seeing people who have made it to target, shows you it's possible!

Sorry didn't realise where you were from. It's only a couple of places i've seen that do that here. It's strange but i'm actually quite enjoying not having to think about what to eat for a while at least! Trying not to think too much about coming off the diet yet since I know theres at least 3 months to go. Sorry I haven't got any other advice then, well done on all the weight you lost. I like seeing people who have made it to target, shows you it's possible!

Oh no worries!! I don't have it anywhere.. I should change that in my profile somewhere!!

I know what you mean about not having to worry about food. It's such a good thing isn't it?

I think it's great that they put points on the menu !! They should do that here too. :D

I used to love seeing people that did it too. I worshipped KD and Porgeous and some others but they spring to mind hahah!!!! :eek:

I'm sure you can do it, keep it up! :)

Hey there you

I have been sitting reading this thread with a smile on my face because when I moved into maintenance it was exactly the same thing I was posting. I was organised to the point of obsessiveness with everything weighed and counted. The thought of having something I could exactly count would send me into panic mode and although I could guesstimate it wasn't the same as knowing.

All I can say is that with time you will begin to relax, you will realise that just because you can't count it doesn't mean you will instantly gain a stone overnight. I started off slowly and just introduced one thing during the week that I couldn't accurately calculate and worked up from there.

Now when I go out for a meal or have lunch out with a friend I don't really think about calories, I might eat more lightly during the rest of the day to allow for it but usually not! One day being slightly high on calories in the grand scheme of things will make no difference it's only when you do it day after day after day.

I seem to have rambled on!

xx

I've just been reading this thread and had to comment on your photos Porgeous. You look fab! You're roughly the same height as me and had the same amount to lose. Do you mind me asking how long it took you? I'm nearing the 2 stone mark (4 to go) and am Calorie Counting. Also (and you don't have to answer this!) how old are you? I mean this in a nice way - i.e you look a lot younger than me!!!

Hey there you

I have been sitting reading this thread with a smile on my face because when I moved into maintenance it was exactly the same thing I was posting. I was organised to the point of obsessiveness with everything weighed and counted. The thought of having something I could exactly count would send me into panic mode and although I could guesstimate it wasn't the same as knowing.

All I can say is that with time you will begin to relax, you will realise that just because you can't count it doesn't mean you will instantly gain a stone overnight. I started off slowly and just introduced one thing during the week that I couldn't accurately calculate and worked up from there.

Now when I go out for a meal or have lunch out with a friend I don't really think about calories, I might eat more lightly during the rest of the day to allow for it but usually not! One day being slightly high on calories in the grand scheme of things will make no difference it's only when you do it day after day after day.

I seem to have rambled on!

xx

Hi :D

I can totally see what you're saying here!! I want to know details about everything that goes into my mouth. Sometimes I sit at the breakfast table, calculating calories before eating them so I c an be sure I don't have too much.

I weigh myself everyday and when I gain the next I'm immediately like; omg, was it x product I had 2 days ago that I DIDN'T COUNT???!!?!:p

Quite sad really. I'll try to introduce some uncountable foods, see how that goes haha. :D

x

Back