Eating When Hungry?

-Tally-

Silver Member
I'm having a little trouble forcing myself to have breakfast each day. I NEVER feel hungry when I get up, ever. I've been making myself have brunch instead but I know that breakfast is deemed necessary for weight loss and setting ones self up for the day.

Should I be making more of an effort to force myself to eat breakfast or rather planning my meals not for set times but for when I'm physically hungry?

Our SW consultant says if you don't normally eat breakfast then don't change that! Eat when you are hungry.

Although there are (in my opinion) benefits to eating breakfast I don't see how not eating it would hinder your weight losses.

x

I find that if i don't eat breakfast then i do over eat at lunch because i'm starving by then (even with having ome fruit mid-morning), that's the only reason i have it.

Hello,
Can you not plan to eat breakfast, a little later in the day, I know it the beginning I used to eat 2 breakfasts!!! normal breakfast when I got up and then fruit and yogurt around 10am. If it was me then I would have my standard breakfast as soon as you feel hungry, as like a previous poster said, you may find you tend to over eat later

Helen xxx

I was a non breakfast eater for years. However I could not do without it now. I think you can change if you try to have a little something every morning.

It is supposed to wake your body and metabolism up and start you burning calories as well as setting you up for the day. I would give it a try, even if it is just a cereal bar or yogurt and fruit.

I'm having a little trouble forcing myself to have breakfast each day. I NEVER feel hungry when I get up, ever. I've been making myself have brunch instead but I know that breakfast is deemed necessary for weight loss and setting ones self up for the day.

Should I be making more of an effort to force myself to eat breakfast or rather planning my meals not for set times but for when I'm physically hungry?

Hi there
I have a similar problem too.
I never used to eat breakfast and since doing sw I still struggle to want to have breakfast when I get up. I tend to be ok if it's cereal but anything else I have to give myself 1-2 hours to wake up and actually feel like eating.
I tend to now take my brekkie to work with me, then I set up at work and eat mine at about 9.30am-10am...
I feel alot better doing this rather than rushing around at home & eating it at 7.30am.
Stacey xxx

Not that my friend needs to lose weight ( the opposite infact, needs to gain) but she could never manage breakfast as felt nauseous in the morning. She started by going to work 15 mins earlier, to allow for a breakfast break a bit later on. but slowly introducing some small food before work. after about 2 weeks she is now feeling much more like wanting breakfast before work. I think you can 'train' yourself into it. As someone else said it is meant to give your metabolism a kick start after no food all night.

I used to be dreadful with breakfast as I was never hungry at that time of the morning and eating at that hour of the morning used to make me feel quite queasy, but I think it was because I had got into the bad habit of not eating breakfast.

Although I would always say only eat when you are hungry and never eat just for the sake of it. Breakfast is an important meal of the day and helps increase your metabolism. So try to eat breakfast if you can, you will eventually adjust into that pattern again.

I actually now feel sick if I DON'T have any breakfast and am ravenous as soon as I wake up.

For me somedays I wake hungry and want/need to eat and other days I don't feel hungry for brekkie till after being up for few hours.

On my non hungry days, I try to have a piece of fruit when I get up and then have brekkie later.

I read somewhere that its ok to not eat brekkie the moment you get up but you should have brekkie within a few hours of being up. Again they suggest a slow releasing fruit to have first thing, then your brekkie a bit later

I would just eat when your ready, there's new research that shows that eating breakfast doesn't boost your weight loss. So I wouldn't make yourself feel sick by eating it.

I'm trying to eat within 2-3 of hours of getting up so I think I'll just continue with that, however small. It's normally fruit and yoghurt or cereal. I don't actually feel hungry until tea time but that's my old habits as I was a night time eater and it's difficult to break that habit more so than what I'm actually eating.

think of your body as a furnace..
if you don't start it until 10am in the morning then it's not going to burn as much fuel during the course of the day as it would if you started it at say 7am

once you've used up the calories from breakfast your metabolism is already working and will start on the reserves..

Hi, I am new but I can't eat when i first get up. I have been having my wetabix about 10.30 - 11am and then just eating the rest of my meals later. It worked for me cos I lost 2lb last week.

Hi! Am new too but I don't think you should force down a breakfast. I'm never good at eating early but try to have some fruit around 9.30am or even a yoghurt. My problem is usually that I get more hungry once I start eating. Without breakfast I can go til lunch withought problem. But once I have something to eat for breakfast I can't wait for lunch to come.

Yeah I was like that too Kristel, once I start I can't stop hence why I used to be an evening eater BUT I am definitely learning to control that and I'm actually starting to not think about something until my tummy rumbles and reminds me I'm hungry. I've found that having hobbies is a huge help in distracting me from food. I'm having my tea in a minute and then I plan to get my clay out and make some beads and pendants. By the time I've finished that it will be bed time :)

Coljack, the furnace thing makes sense...I tried using that analogy when making my daughter eat breakfast as she hates eating as soon as she's awake too.

everyone is different but if I had breakfast of scrambled eggs every morning and was losing 8.5 lbs some weeks..
then over christmas I stopped eating until about 10-11 am ( made redundant, lie in every day ) and have had bad losses since..
I'm back at work now so am back to eating breakfast early again..
we'll see how it goes this week..

Back