EE Fish Pie

I_dream_slim

Silver Member
As requested on another bit of the forum. Fish pie recipe taken from the kitchen Secrets mini mag from SW magazine.

Ingredients:
1 sml onion, halved
6 cloves-I used them but guess they are optional
4-500 g White fish cut in large chunks
200g salmon fillets cut in large chunks
1 bay leaf (optional as I didn't have any!)
400ml stock-I used chicken but could use fish or veg
200g prawns-I used pre cooked king prawns
300g quark-a dodgy subject for some but I think works brilliantly in this!
Handful of the following finely chopped: parsley, dill, chives - I used all 3 and it was beautiful but imagine it's optional
Salt & pepper
900g Maris piper or Desiree potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
Salad or veg to serve-I used lots of broccoli!!!!

1. Stud each onion half with 3 cloves and put in a large pan with the White fish, salmon and bay leaf. Pour over the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 6-7 minutes.

2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fish to a large oven proof dish (or foil ones like mine!) and then add the prawns on top. Strain the stock into a bowl and discard the onion and bay leaf.

3. Mix together the quark and herbs until combined. Add the reserved stock and continue to mix until smooth. Season to taste and then pour over the fish mixture, making sure it's evenly coated.

4. Preheat the oven to 200'c. Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes until tender. Drain & mash. Stir in some milk or butter into the mash if you have the syns or leave out if not. Top the fish with the mash, making sure it's pushed right to the edges. Fluff the surface with a fork, then bake for 30-35 minutes. Divide between 4 plates, finish with a twist of black pepper and serve with you salad or veg.

I topped mine with a small amount of grated cheddar and a sprinkling of Parmesan-brilliant if you have the syns!

Enjoy!!!

Pictures of the nom noms!!

Attachments

• image-3242555890.jpg
    image-3242555890.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 420
  • image-2700814497.jpg
    image-2700814497.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 406
  • image-3398297638.jpg
    image-3398297638.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 390
I_dream_slim said:
As requested on another bit of the forum. Fish pie recipe taken from the kitchen Secrets mini mag from SW magazine.

Ingredients:
1 sml onion, halved
6 cloves-I used them but guess they are optional
4-500 g White fish cut in large chunks
200g salmon fillets cut in large chunks
1 bay leaf (optional as I didn't have any!)
400ml stock-I used chicken but could use fish or veg
200g prawns-I used pre cooked king prawns
300g quark-a dodgy subject for some but I think works brilliantly in this!
Handful of the following finely chopped: parsley, dill, chives - I used all 3 and it was beautiful but imagine it's optional
Salt & pepper
900g Maris piper or Desiree potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
Salad or veg to serve-I used lots of broccoli!!!!

1. Stud each onion half with 3 cloves and put in a large pan with the White fish, salmon and bay leaf. Pour over the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 6-7 minutes.

2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fish to a large oven proof dish (or foil ones like mine!) and then add the prawns on top. Strain the stock into a bowl and discard the onion and bay leaf.

3. Mix together the quark and herbs until combined. Add the reserved stock and continue to mix until smooth. Season to taste and then pour over the fish mixture, making sure it's evenly coated.

4. Preheat the oven to 200'c. Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes until tender. Drain & mash. Stir in some milk or butter into the mash if you have the syns or leave out if not. Top the fish with the mash, making sure it's pushed right to the edges. Fluff the surface with a fork, then bake for 30-35 minutes. Divide between 4 plates, finish with a twist of black pepper and serve with you salad or veg.

I topped mine with a small amount of grated cheddar and a sprinkling of Parmesan-brilliant if you have the syns!

Enjoy!!!

That's for this looks lovely I will be trying at the weekend

Hi
I've already cooked this. it was the best fish pie i've ever tasted

bunce2659 said:
Hi
I've already cooked this. it was the best fish pie i've ever tasted

It's pretty good-I agree! X

Recipe advised to batch cook and freeze-which I have done. I left cheese off the top of frozen ones so will heat in oven and add cheese half way through! X

Have just taken 2 portions of this out of the freezer by popular demand! :)

This sounds gorgeous, think I'll make it on saturday night with my OH as we've said we'll have a night in and cook something together.

I made this yesterday, it tasted nice but I thought the sauce was very watery when I was putting it together, However during cooking all the liquid disappeared so it was more like lumps of fish with mashed potato on top. We both still ate it and thought it tasted nice but I would have preferred to have some sauce with my fish. Don't know where I went wrong!!

Hiya, sorry to cut in on your post .I'm thinking of making this pie during the week . Can't get my hands on quark . Is there anything else I can use in its place ? Thanks Teresa

Cloves ? What like garlic??

no this is actual cloves, not garlic, as in
Cotswold Cloves Whole Boxes 50g Cotswold Cloves Whole Boxes 50g [CLO69] - £0.94 : EcoGreenStore, Eco friendly and natural products, Organic wholefoods and Green products, The Eco Friendly Shop usually sold in the spices section at supermarket

I make this fish pie all the time but my recipe has no quark in it, otherwise its identical. The cloves are totally optional too so if you haven't got them just make it without!

My 6yr old and hubby both love this and me of course! Its the only fish pie I ever make! I use a potato ricer to put the mash on top which makes it lovely and fluffy!

Doing this tonight can't wait!

I didnt use the quark I used some light philly . It turned out really tasty . Was well pleased all clean plates lol .

muddypaws04 said:
no this is actual cloves, not garlic, as in
Cotswold Cloves Whole Boxes 50g Cotswold Cloves Whole Boxes 50g [CLO69] - £0.94 : EcoGreenStore, Eco friendly and natural products, Organic wholefoods and Green products, The Eco Friendly Shop usually sold in the spices section at supermarket

I make this fish pie all the time but my recipe has no quark in it, otherwise its identical. The cloves are totally optional too so if you haven't got them just make it without!

My 6yr old and hubby both love this and me of course! Its the only fish pie I ever make! I use a potato ricer to put the mash on top which makes it lovely and fluffy!

Do you not replace the quark, is that not what makes it creamy? I don't even get what quark is, I hope it's not like cottage cheese cos that stuff just doesn't melt!

Quark is really creamy and is syn free. For me it has a slightly sour taste. Not bad though. I like it! Supermarkets sell it usually near the cottage cheeses. This recipe looks yum so I'm going to have to try it! Think I may use light Philly though so my OH will eat it :)

K x

Back