1. MiniMins members lost 144 Stone in January! Why not join in the conversation today?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

EE Ragu sauce syn or syn free??

Discussion in 'Syn Values' started by must be mad, 11 September 2010 Social URL.

1. must be mad

must be mad Active Member

Ive had a look on SW and cant seem to find it anywhere - does anyone know if its got syns pls?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. must be mad

P.S its just the traditional one

4. Mummy_Helen

Mummy_Helen Well-Known Member

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Knorr Ragu Pasta sauce, Traditional, jar 500g jar[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [​IMG] 11½ Syns on Extra Easy [​IMG] Original 11½ Syns [​IMG] Green 11½ Syns [/FONT]
    [/FONT]​

5. kissme

kissme Well-Known Member

heres a syn free recipe, i know it has tomato puree bu isnt even half a syn per serving

1 onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 x 398g / 14oz can chopped tomatoes
    1 level tbsp tomato puree
    1 tsp chopped basil or oregano
    salt and ground black pepper
    ½ tsp artificial sweetene

Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20
    minutes.

6. Starlight

Starlight Well-Known Member

7. Mummy_Helen

Mummy_Helen Well-Known Member

You could bypass the tomato puree syns by using passata instead of puree and tinned tomatoes, it's thicker than chopped tomatoes and makes a lovely rich sauce for free:)

8. must be mad

Thanks - wow thats a lot!!

and thanks for the recipie, much better

and sorry for putting it on the wrong thread - i'm a newbie x

9. Xassy

Xassy Well-Known Member

I'm a huge ragu fan and was gutted that it was so highly synned. I use passata and season it loads. I actually really like it. :)

10. Twizzle

Twizzle Well-Known Member

passatta is our saviour!

11. must be mad

I bought some passata after reading yor advice yesterday - yet to try it but I think it will be much better than having to use such a large aount of syns

Thank you everyone x

12. juicygooseface

juicygooseface ♥juicy♥

i dont think thats really high for a sauce really, if u use half of the ragu traditional sauce for a bolognese its like 6 syns, about the same as half a jar of dolmio light :) xxx

13. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

I find all sauces high in syns and prefer to make my own - they are usually cheaper and taste better as well

14. juicygooseface

juicygooseface ♥juicy♥

i do like to make my own sauces for chicken and things sometimes but dont really use my syns for chocolate i use most of them on things like sauces and my pitfall...chocolate spread! xxxx

15. BritMumInCanada

BritMumInCanada Well-Known Member

all ready made sauces are going to be high, because they dont qualify for any free food allowance.

So you are better off making your own.

16. Starryeyedsuprise

Starryeyedsuprise Well-Known Member

Damn it!!! I just bought a jar of Ragu thinking it wasn't bad.....WRONG!!

17. stace77

stace77 Well-Known Member

I make this sauce all of the time, in fact it so much nicer than the jar sauces and totally free.
    Its also a good base for chillis and currys.