Extra Easy EE without veg??

Yeah ive never quite comprehended the mashing thing.... thats what my teeth DO, theyre food-mashers...:confused:

Wow I can't believe you have to syn a mashed banana, why?

Going back to veges, If I have a chili or a spag bol, I use the toms, mushrooms and onions as my 3rd superfree. Can you not do this? x

I would imagine that those are not enough superfree if you look at all the S/W recipes like curry and spag bol the plates are a third full of salad or veggies.
Then back to mashing banana, I wonder if its because if pureed or mashed people eat more and it hasnt actuallygot any more syns but its to avoid over eating a certain item????

Yes Jo if you puree or mash something you eat far more of it so hence the rules, but since I only ever mash one banana into it if I do use banana then I don't see it a problem as I said it is mashed up in my tummy lol.

Thanks bench do you have a recipe for colcannon mustard mash and the gravy and is it synned?
The mustard is synned (and so is bisto gravy powder if you use that, but you could make syn-free gravy instead) Everything else is free on green/EE :)

My approach to cooking is a bit... err.. Jamie Oliver.. in other words, I don't do pre-set quantities, I just throw it all together instead, so here goes (sorry its not very accurate)

Colcannon:

• 3 maris piper or king edwards potatoes (more-or-less depending on their size and on how hungry you are!) - boiled in salted water. The potatoes take much less time to boil if they're chopped into matchbox-sized pieces first (and you end up with less chance of lumps too)
  • one mid-sized onion, finely chopped and fried in fry-lite til nice and brown
  • 1 portion of curly kale or cabbage, finely chopped and boiled (between 5-10 mins depending how soft you want it)

Mashing:

• Either fat-free fromage frais or 0% natural yoghurt for mashing potato with (fat-free Cottage cheese might work too) - all should be syn-free. How much you use depends on how much potato and how creamy you want it to be. I usually put in a whole 170g pot of Total 0% yoghurt :)
  • wholegrain mustard. 1 level tbsp is 0.5 syns. I usually go for a huge "dollop" on a teaspoon which is probably more like 2 level tbsp and makes the mustard flavour very strong.
  • lots of ground black pepper

1. Drain potatoes (you can leave a tiny bit of water in there, since the potatoes will absorb that while they're mashed, and it'll add to the creamy texture)
  2. Mash potato together with the yoghurt, mustard + pepper,
  3. Once the mash is at the right consistency, mix in all of the drained kale/cabbage and the onion.

As for gravy - i usually cheat a bit and use bisto powder, but that's because I prefer non-watery gravy (0.5 syn per level tsp of powder.)

If you use powedered gravy , be careful not to get granules, since those are more like 2 syns per tsp! Also, the water used for boiling the cabbage/kale works well as a gravy base.

I found a completely syn-free onion gravy recipe here. I haven't tried it yet though!
Syn Free Onion Gravy | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes

all of the above goes really well with grilled quorn sausages! :)

Last edited:
Ooh you are the same about gravy and mash as me, I have been using Bisto powder since I first started cooking and love it too much too swap to nasty granules.
I will try the mash with Total definitely I like it to be creamy.
I also am not liking any low fat sausages, I like a high pork percentage and a good seasoned banger so may have to give up on sausage and mash apart from a good one synned.

The mashed/cooked fruit isn't really about the quantity you'd eat but about how the natural sugars breakdown. I'm making a hidden veg tomato pasta sauce tonight and maybe some soup, will eat veg someway, somehow!

People who have trouble eating 1/3 plate superfree - maybe EE isn't for you, seriously, try Red or Green for a change. You get 2 extra HEXs and either your meat OR your pulses/pasta/potatoes etc are still *entirely* free without having to restrict it to a third of the plate.

I think EE gets pushed way too much and its just not for everyone. I do Green nearly every day, I still get my fair share of meat, potatoes etc etc!
Totally agree with you there. I too dont like veg very much and therefore do mainly red days with a perhaps 2 green per week. Occasionally I have tried ee but really struggle specially with lunches as I hate salad! I also think red and green have been pushed away by S W in favour of ee but if you dont like what youre eating youre far more likely to give in. I have lost 2 lbs short of 2 stone on mainly red days. It can be done and these plans should not be ignored. Good luck in whatever you decide is right for you.:D

I've been doing well on EE - I like fruit but am very fussy about veg and eat very little of it. On my first night, a fellow new member told our consultant that she hates all veg. Our consultant said that it wasn't a huge problem, just to follow dinner with a couple of pieces of fruit to bump up the 1/3 superfree. And of course, disguising veg is always a good option - carrots and red peppers disguise well in bolognaise, blend well and make sure you have a nice strong tomatoey sauce to absorb the flavour.
If youre doing ee and have a problem with veg my c told me to fill up first on fruit so that by the time you eat your meal you are a little full and this helps with portion control. Hope this helps you

Back