EEk another mistake

loungelizard

Silver Member
narrowly avoided. DH has been moaning that there's been no cream for all the fresh fruit we're eating as a dessert. Bought him some cream and saw some cottage cheese with pineapple. I just had a craving for it but luckily checked the syns first. It's 15 for 100g:eek: I really am finding this difficult because for as long as I remember I have not bought low fat food due to the additives that are put in so many of them. Does anyone else struggle with this aspect of low fat.

Look out for the Fat Fat Natural Cottage Cheese with Pineapple...! You've just got to check every little thing you buy...and remember, low fat isn't the same as fat free.

I struggled a lot at the start, getting into it now but still make mistakes, but I learn from them :)

Good luck getting used to it, sure it won't take you long :) xx

It was Longley Farm. I've looked up and they do a virtually fat free natural and also a chive one. Just goes to show though that something I've always thought of as being an easy option when watching what you eat isn't:confused:

I am almost certain that Aldi do a cottage cheese with pineapple thats free?? I'll go check for you :)

Yep here you go:

Aldi Stores Be Light, Cottage Cheese with Pineapple, Low Fat, Balanced Lifestyle 100g

extraeasy.gif
0 Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original Free
green.gif
Green Free

I thought it was a bit odd that any cottage cheese could be so high in syns, so I checked Longley Farm's website and find that they do four different types: natural, with pineapple, with chives, and a virtually fat-free one. All of them are marked on the pot as being low-fat.

Longley Farm

I then checked the most recent SW Syns Directory -
  • with chives is 1.5 syns per 100g
  • with pineapple is 2.0 syns per 100g
  • natural is 1.5 syns per 100g
The virtually fat-free one is free.

So I am not sure why you thought that the pineapple one you bought was 15 syns per 100g?

I thought it was a bit odd that any cottage cheese could be so high in syns, so I checked Longley Farm's website and find that they do four different types: natural, with pineapple, with chives, and a virtually fat-free one. All of them are marked on the pot as being low-fat.

Longley Farm

I then checked the most recent SW Syns Directory -
  • with chives is 1.5 syns per 100g
  • with pineapple is 2.0 syns per 100g
  • natural is 1.5 syns per 100g
The virtually fat-free one is free.

So I am not sure why you thought that the pineapple one you bought was 15 syns per 100g?

I worked it out online using the SW thingy. Perhaps I've got it all wrong. Wouldn't surprise me:eek: Would you or anyone else be able to double check for me.

Got pack and it all it says is Pineapple cottage cheese. It doesn't say it's low fat.

Pack size is 250g
Values per 100g are:
Energy 119kcal
Protein 10.1g
Carb 8.4g
Fat 5.0g

I worked it out online using the SW thingy. Perhaps I've got it all wrong. Wouldn't surprise me:eek: Would you or anyone else be able to double check for me.

Got pack and it all it says is Pineapple cottage cheese. It doesn't say it's low fat.

Pack size is 250g
Values per 100g are:
Energy 119kcal
Protein 10.1g
Carb 8.4g
Fat 5.0g
SW calculater worked it out as 6 syns per 100g for me. HTH

Is this the one? If so, it does say low fat on the tub in this picture.

cottage pine.jpg

On the website it gives the same nutritional values that you mention:

Longley Farm

It is listed on the SW website in Syns Online as 2 syns per 100g in Syns Online (same as in the Directory).

It is not necessary to fiddle with the Syns Calculator on the SW website if a product is already listed on the Syns Online section (the tab to the left of the Syns Calculator link at the top of the screen).

SW has done the calculation for you and you only need to use the calculator if you can't find the product in Syns Online.

Thanks avisk as I'm still getting to grips with it all. Oddly though my pot is not like that it just says cottage cheese with pineapple. No mention of low fat anywhere. Infact the chives one was the same as was the natural:confused:

At least I know I can eat some:)

Back