Ellie's fitness diary (start 10.11.2008) Marathon training...

Hi Ellie, just popping in to say Hi, its refreshing reading your diary, wow sooo much exercise, your my inspiration ;)

No probs BBlilsis, I think getting fitter has been half the success of my maintenance this time round...have failed miserably a couple of times before (to maintain all my stones of lost weight)...it's not been a year yet, but I'll whoop when the time comes and then set myself new challenges to keep the mind and body active.

The exercise might seem daunting to most at first, but I have built it up over time (began in April in earnest), it didn't just happen overnight and I still am not fit enough to run marathons or strong enough to lift really heavy weights.

Sunday
Cheat day. Rest day. Am feeling that weird excited jitter in my tummy today about the race. Even started to dream about it. Woke up just as we were about to begin though, whew! Might've woken up exhausted...

Food today is the usual fried chicken and sweetcorn with side salad and a skinny cow icecream as desert. I don't like chips as potatoes are a bit of a weird food for me, a bit too much potato and I go into a semi-carb coma, I am zonked for half an hour after the meal. So I do a jacket potato once in a while or some baby potatoes...and I'm rambling about potatoes...sheesh!

Looking forward to the meal. We have cola and all (don't do fizzy drinks the rest of the week)...mmm...wondering if perhaps we could buy those whopping fresh made burgers and make up a bun and do some oven chips in the future to swap around with the duck meal and the fried chicken? I think I am bored of the other two now.

Last edited:
Morning Ellie, mmm I like the sound of your rest day,,,yep mix it up if your getting bored with your food choices :p

Oh, thankyou at last I can fix my dairy...hahaha! My brain is all over the place today and even speaking is rather hilarious (incoherent babbling mostly)...excess energy bzzzzzzzzzzz!

Well my nickname isn't far off my real name, but it's softer than the proper one...I'm an olde fash Ellen or Ellie to most people...my middle name is YUCK though, so that can stay a secret...oh and nex was just a fooling about with Latin (angel of death).

Monday and Tuesday
Babble babble...I'm sooooooo excited I am almost shaking but have to conserve this for tomorrow I know. Stoked doesn't come close to what I am feeling today. Running through what I must do, pacing, sips of drink, sweat mops, blah de blah...I'm sure all will be fine...it's the nerves though. Exams, tests, interviews, meeting someone new for the first time, it all gets so nervy...yikes!

Seem to have lost another pound between Sunday and today, think that is the nerves...so am on target once again for Xmas, maybe will get it all off by then, we'll see...focus focus...

I'm off to rest up and do some chores now...fidget fidget...

Last edited:
Wednesday
Race day. Restless leg syndrome. Heart racing. I have the squits...am drinking ginger and honey tea to alleviate the acidic feeling in the pit of my tummy. Have checked my gym gear once, the kids' packed suppers are done (am picking them up after afterschool activities and we are eating there then off to my friend's house and then cycling to the gym aaaah!), my head is screwed on, I have my isotonic drink, before and after protein/carb/vitamin shakes to mix up and drink...not sure what else there is to do...apart from be very nervous...and maybe do some destressing via callanetics and meditation and maybe a bit of a nap...

Hey Ellie,

Have a GREAT race :bliss:

THANKS guys and gals...boy am I sore (my legs!)

I came fourth out of six...first place went to the only man of the race (not sure if men should race women, but there you go)...I was pipped by 6 seconds, so could've come third if I had sprinted the 1.5km run...agh!

I beat my gym time so am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY and happy I actually finished...at one point I so wanted to give in (on the bike)...

And the personal trainers also comented how none of them bar one would've beaten all of us! Whoooooooo!

Good luck :)

Edit - you posted right before I done that there ^

Woo Hoo Missus, You beat your personal best and you finished, thats two amazing achievements in my book :bliss:

Ooh thanks peeps...no more races this year as far as I am aware (my beau wants to train for a triathlon in the meantime though, he has these scary plans of rowing in the gym, running to his place and then cycling around for a bit...wheee!)...a small gym challenge tomorrow though (it ends the end of November so I have to do it tomorrow before the new one is posted up Monday), cardio based and points oriented rather than time/race based.

Thursday

I feel tired today, gym was a struggle. But I did one circuit with the early workshop, two weight based circuits, an ab workout and then a 3000m row...oh I also jogged to the gym from the kids' school, so all in all I think I did a normal gym day if not a bit extra today.

Have an odd cough after last night. Tasted something like blood when I was breathing hard and fast and then couldn't stop coughing for ages after the race. No wheezing, just phlegm and coughs...ewww! My personal trainer could hardly talk as he has some horrid virus at the moment...so my guess is I either did my lungs in a bit last night or I've caught the nasty cold that is doing the rounds (or I had the nasty cold already and the race exascerbated it)

Feeling good though despite the tiredness (eyelids are very heavy right now)

Nex, well done! Bet you feel on top of the world! You go, girl!

I was so busy reading round the forum I forgot about my diary. DOH!

Friday
Feel okay but tired today. Did spin class (different instructor was taking it today as my personal trainer who usually takes it on Friday was ill, he could hardly speak Wednesday evening) and then 3000m row (sprinting and then stopping)...was a bit sore in my upper body this morning when I woke up from the weights I'd done Thursday or perhaps the row on Wednesday night...

Looking forward to curling up with a book or film later with my beau. Might not make it past 10 tonight.

*yawn*

Saturday and Sunday
It's nearly December. Am going to put up the Xmas decorations today or tomorrow. Have had a great weekend so far...beau looked after the kids while I went out for a few hours last night. A couple of nice pubs in a nice part of town(busy busy busy, hot, stuffy, crowded!) with some other clients of my personal trainer. There were nearly 20 of us there (some partners and friends and family too) and it was a good crowd and I had a good time. Haven't been out like that on my own for a year or so. Felt good! Had a shot of whisky on the rocks and two glasses of wine then drank diet colas and water. Felt fine, a bit tipsy and lurved up (you know the hormones seem to rush around when you're just tipsy!) and really liked it apart from having to shout and strain to hear the conversations, some of which cracked me the cuff up. I ribbed my PT a few times and found out something new about myself...which made me giggle and then think quite a lot when I got back home...my rival for the tri (she came third just beating me) was there and we got along very well, coming from the same part of town. Got a lift back earlyish (got home at midnight) as the rest of the gang wanted to go dancing and I so did not want to...luckily F lived 5 minutes away from me and offered me the lift...she and I clicked straight away! I don't really drink much alcohol so was amazed at the amounts some were managing to put away...whoo! I also had very high heels on (4.5 inch peep toe stilettos) and wanted to be able to walk around rather than stagger...boy did my toes hurt...am practising for next week (8th December) when I go to a gig with long haired Finnish metal cello players...well not with them but will be watching them and screaming lots!

Today has been restful. Food in moderation. Even yesterday food was good, even had a large piece of choc cake and wasn't tempted to binge because of the sugar rush and come down...the up and down didn't even happen! Cheat day and the chicken was tender and nice...was going to change it up a bit, but forgot...bit tired from last night...maybe next week...have to plan what we are having for Xmas as I don't like Turkey...has to be something duck oriented...mmmm....duck....speaking of which, had a couple of peking duck wraps last night before I outed and they were scrummy!

Monday - Wednesday
Okay, it's getting manic peeps! The Xmas stress out and panic time...no not really, but I seem to be neglecting my diary and other things a bit...have been reading lots and keeping up with the gym and all. Missed session with personal trainer on Tues as had a govenor's meeting that ran over time, it was pretty exciting though, so have to see him Friday instead after spin class...Monday was spin and some circuits and ab workout as usual...Tues was some circuits and ab workout with some hardcore rowing sprints...can row further each sprint and the power is UP THERE! So my times are coming DOWN...Today did spin class and then went to a birthday/Xmas lunch with some ladies from the gym (gee where did this social life spring from?!) There were eleven of us, I think I was the youngest...it was fun and interesting and yummy...had gammon ham a huge piece with lotsa veg (no potatoes or yorkshire pud though, not keen on those two) and a piece of choccie cake for pudding...mmmm...

Am trying to cut down a bit this week on calories (don't know why but am experimenting for the sake of science, well my on going endevour to figure out how my body works damnit!)...so am taking in more carbs than protein...was feeling tired today and yesterday...today's was emotional poo though, got really cross about something my ex hubby did and said and that was me exuding adrenalin for all the wrong reasons..energy went downhill from there!

So tomorrow am back to the weights and ab workout and am seriously going to start running tomorrow...the icy weather has put me off recently though (I have a tendency to be the banana brain who slips!)...run run run as fast as you can...weight is steady...

Thursday - Saturday
It has been even more manic this week. Not forgotten to eat as I sometimes do when it gets busy. Have been eating lots of nuts and protein bars as well as shakes this week as the time excuse has been the main one...it's all healthy as I still supplement with vitamins and minerals, etc.

Went out last night with my bro and his partner and my beau and his kids and my kids. Was great, a bit on the expensive side, I would rather have gotten a take away to cook in from the local supermarket (they are yummy there) BUT...oh well it's done now and it was a good night...tummy feels a bit iffy this morning though, wonder if they still use msg in the foods (it was a Chinese place)...didn't over indulge.

Still determined to get my tummy lean...it's not shifting...and I know it is because I am not using the correct foods at present...eating clean is the only way to do it, but it can be so hard especially when the social life picks up, etc.

Xmas is here soon, not panicking, but am...littlest and my beau still need to be bought for...not sure about my dad as he isn't easy to buy for either...yuck I HATE Xmas!!! Defo going to do something ducky, still keep meaning to look around for ideas...damn!

Next week I am beginning the new phase of my training. Am going to get heavily into rowing and running and swimming in preparation for endurance needed in triathlon and half marathon and marathons...am going to start the running preparation as well as the rowing preparation...if I train as if I am going to run a marathon in both, my fitness levels should skyrocket and it will mean that I will keep my personal trainer impressed if I only have him one session per month in the New Year. Will ask if I can do a fitness test each session I see him to keep tabs on my fitness. I know I can do the gold level one now already although 800m on a 10% incline seems a bit scary...

Bit of a headache..no alcohol last night didn't feel like it. Am staying off the alcohol, caffeine and sugar to see what differences it makes. Not that I partake of alcohol much in any case...but caffeine now that is a different story...it makes your blood sugar levels weird...must experiment again...also need to get more protein and creatine for training...

Yep I am determined. Most people calm down this time of year when it comes to exercise (the gym is dead lately), but I am going to keep on keeping on. I'm excited about it too!

Hope everyone is having a fabby weekend.

Sunday - Tuesday
Sunday was great as saw bro and his partner again for lunch. Monday was superb as went to see Apocalyptica gig. Am still on fire after it...was sooooo great! Had a shot of whisky and felt just right, didn't overdo the food at the weekend or yesterday...Tuesday am cutting down on calories to shift the weight again...am feeling more energetic this week thankfully. Put in a 7500m row in 35 mins 14 secs...did an hour with my personal trainer (we did extreme abs workout today and it WAS extreme! Whew I am still alive!) and then swam for about 40 minutes and walked home and then ran to the kids' school...endeavouring to get some major miles in daily for marathon/triathlon training...libido is WAY UP THERE! Wheeeee!

Ooooh my mates went and saw Apocalyptica in Glasgow on Saturday!

...and now I click onto who your signature is! :D

Ooooh my mates went and saw Apocalyptica in Glasgow on Saturday!

...and now I click onto who your signature is! :D

Oh, they're FAB!!! *swoon* I screamed myself hoarse Monday...whoops!

Wednesday
Have to write this down before I forget...rowed 5000m in 22mins 39secs...swam for 25 minutes non stop and until I was out of breath (damn I really should wear my goggles) did one circuit and spoke to my personal trainer about aching things (well it was only my butt from the kettle bell swinging)....feel great, was going to run to the school, but chickened out...really must put some more miles in every day....it's getting easier...

Back