Ellie's fitness diary (start 10.11.2008) Marathon training...

Oh, forgot to add that I will hopefully be starting my marathon indoor rowing training again Monday...

Have not been hasty with regards to the relationship stuff...beginning to think I am not suited to it, as I seem to get the same in any: bored, insecure and a bit silly about ceratin things....oh well they are hard work after all...pffffft!

Managed some gym to day, just did some abs work, bicep curls, warm up stretches, running, some proper pull ups unassisted (managed 9 and noticed for the second day in a row that some competitve and rather fit looking women have tried to do both the pull ups and hanging leg raises after I have finished my sets), did almost 100 press ups with rests in between and then did spin class...am still not up to speed, as have to stop when I get out of puff, but happy that I am feeling a LOT better now.

Still croaky but not coughing and spluttering all the time...argh! Just want it to go! My personal trainer is also still coughing, as he is the one who passed it onto a couple of us before Xmas...horrid virus!

My personal trainer put me down as a member of a women's team (three of us) to enter the gym challenge at the end of the month. It is 1000m row, 100 press ups, 50 sit ups and 800m running. Something to work towards. My OH is also doing the gym challenge in a men's team so we will be competing against one another...hmmm...oh also have cut my personal training sessions down to one per month, as I am happy with where he has gotten me, and am confident I can keep it up and surpass my level of fitness now if I keep on doing what I have been. Will check in for a fitness test and to see if I am up to speed every four weeks. Whoo! Also it will save on dosh that is going towards my new mountain bike and accessories...am hoping to go for my first proper mountain biking ride on Sunday with the OH.

Feeling a lot more chirpy, really think I ought to go to bed early tonight and try to catch up on the lack or at least get rid of the lethargy...hopefully...

Are you the same and find that you have a real high after leaving the gym?

Monday
Well gym never happened and neither did the mountain bike ride...firstly because I feel like poo and secondly as the weather is wet and cold : rain and sleet and bitterly cold wind as well as the ground being waterlogged (oh it adds to the fun I hear you say)

Feel knackered and naffed off...have managed a wee spot of grocery shopping to get my eating back to clean and sensible again. Have also checked out some pricings for my weekly clean shop and it isn't as bad as I thought it might turn out to be.

So here's to looking like this in a year's time or less:

Oh eating clean is including NO processed food if possible AT ALL (so no refined sugar, trans fats, white flour, ready meals, takeaways, etc)...so eggs, chicken, fish, vegetables, fruit, protein powder supplement (I go through lots of protein shakes as I am aiming to increase my muscle mass further and yes protein supplements ARE processed but it seems to be the best way to eat MORE protein without feeling like I am going to burst all the time), nuts, seeds, good oil/fat (butter and hemp or flax oil or olive oil), full fat milk, full fat yoghurts, full fat cottage cheese, etc, pulses, beans, whole grains, brown rice...etc...

I have started eating eight small meals per day and although I struggled to get to grips with it and fit it all in (I just take shake bottle, water and a packed meal wherever I go in case I miss meal time at home) and also not feel so full (hey I feel full all day eating like this it feels kinda strange)...so far I have lost two pounds this week and haven't felt hungry once, in fact I struggled yesterday to fit it all in without feeling I was overdoing it (wasn't calorie wise, but fullness wise I struggled a wee tad)...whoop! At least it is two pounds towards the Valentine's challenge and also I am seeing a difference in different muscles, my shoulders are growing and becoming striated again...feels GOOD!

My meals are something like this on a training day:
1.Oatmeal with two egg whites and one egg (can cook it altogether or have omellette or scrambled egg with porridge)
2. Protein shake
3. Post workout protein shake
4. Chicken and salad with simple dressing (vinegar, herb salt and pepper)
5. Protein shake
6. Tuna with mixed vegetables
7. Chicken breast with mixed veges
8. Trout with mixed veges

I also eat a handful of nuts a day and if peckish (which I haven't been so far) and apple/orange/banana...

Am feeling knackered today after spin class and a row, run and sit ups and press ups practise for the gym challenge. Didn't bother to time myself, but it was somewhere round the fifteen minute mark...ran to the gym from kids' school and ran home again afterwards...

Eating my lunch which is some chicken breast salad and a cup of oolong tea. Am also cutting out sweeteners (artificial) and going back to using molasses, maple syrup, brown sugar and date syrup and barley malt as sweeteners for porridge, tea, coffee and such. Have already switched to decaff tea and coffee and seem to be doing okay...energy levels still low because of the cough...BAH!

I tipped over all my art supplies trying to look for a BEFORE photo of me at my heaviest...I was 13.5 stone at my heaviest. I cannot find it, might've destroyed it in a depressed rage or fit of tidying. I am also aiming to write an about me post so people know that I have not always been slim and my struggle with food is ongoing. Eating disorders affect more people than the medical establishment realises. So here is to a year of conquering my fears and just staying healthy and stable weight wise and everything else wise...

On the plus side my kids are making menus and choosing things they can help with in the kitchen now. It's all healthy and hopefully the wholefood thing can finally be passed onto them without too much moaning this time. THey don't eat many sweets or cakes or biscuits or crisps anyway...let's hope we can totally wipe out the processed stuff then it makes it easier as we are all on the same level/base. Am also going to incorporate some red meat (lamb rather than beef) into the clean eating programme. Also need to find some yummy recipes for next week now.

Really interesting reading this thread! Your goal is different to mine, therefore our way of eating and exercising are very different, but our goal time is the same, (I've worked out it will probably take a year), so it's nice reading someone else who is chugging away at it!

...that's just utterly impressive! Dedication or what!

FRIDAY

Ran to the gym and got there in time for spin class, but as Jake, my personal trainer was not taking it I opted out and did some rowing and press ups and pull ups and weight training instead. Worked my back and triceps today. Did an abdominal workout too. Was feeling a real slump yesterday, am feeling a but pooped today...had meals left over and fitting them in has been hard, but have manages it, won't be going to bed hungry that is for sure, I have felt full all day again. Not sure this is a good or bad thing? Not used to feeling full and not purging. Well I am but all day gets it into the realm of being a little uncomfortable for me, so here's to keeping it on the straight and narrow and not doing anything silly...

Glad I am remembering to drink more, have not felt thirsty for a while either.

All in all everything is hunky dory am looking forward to the weekend. Was going to go out Saturday night but have opted to stay in and cook a nice meal instead. Watching the pennies. Sunday will hopefully and waterloggedly be mountain biking day...whoooo! Hmmm...

BEEP! BEEPBEEPBEEP! ARGH! So the mountain bike ride I have been looking forward to never happened today. And I made time (went to the gym early and missed my usual spin class) and did things in a semi rush just to be ready by 1...nevermind, one day we will get to go out for a proper ride, have been using it on the road only and it's an ace bike...Maybe I shoulda just gone on my own...blow the beau!

Had a good two hour session in the gym, relaxed as my lungs still aren't allowing me to go full blast at any type of cardio. Running on the road is the only thing I seem to be able to manage and even that is not cough free. Worked my chest and biceps and did some press ups, pull ups and a 1000m row and an abs workout. Still canoot wait until I can do 10 pull ups unassisted (full body weight), some of the ladies in the gym have been commenting on my pull ups and hanging leg raises. Well I do want to be strong, and by lifting heavy (one's own body weight) it will get me there.

Feeling great even though disappointed about not going for that ride. Oh well will have almost 45 minutes of full on cycling this afternoon and this evening on the way to pick the kids up from school and to the governors' meeting and home again.

A day until I do the gym challenge, excited, scared in case I let my team-mates down (I am quite competitive) and a bit tired today...hoping a rest tomorrow before perhaps just spin class Friday will be okay...bought a trial pack thingy with a new water bottle for my mountain bike and it has rehydration recovery drinks and such in it...just what I need for Friday...6 p.m. will be directly racing against my OH...eeeeeeeeeeek! But my personal trainer (who he trains with now too, bought him some sessions as an Xmas pressie, have I said this beofore?) says I'll whoops his ass...wheeee! Bring on Friday...oh I made everyone late by five minutes in spin class today as the instructor asked if we wanted to do the last song again (HIIT bit) and I said YEAH BRING IT ON! So we had an extra five minutes to everyone else's chagrin...oops! Well I enjoyed it?!

Will post my time and the overall team's time Saturday. We are a team of three women racing against three teams of men...relay style...1000m row, 100 press ups, 50 sit ups and 800m run...

Am munching my last evening meal, man it was a struggle to eat all 8 today...

Good luck, although it sounds like you're really prepared and psyched up for it! I look forward to hearing all about it. :D

Thank you peeps. I think I will need lots of luck to actually finish even though it is a very short race (possibly be over in under 15 minutes for each leg, hpoing to get it dome in 12...YIKES!). Feel pretty knackered today, have to go and see the dentist before I head out to the gym to race...

My libido is absolutely knackered lately too...something is defo not quite right...well chronic tiredness cannot help that!

Anyway before this plunges into depths of despair...am breathing deeply and trying not to get butterflies for this evening...

We beat the men's teams (there was much sexism going on women this that the press ups they have to do are easy, their technique is poo, etc, etc), all of them, even the one with the iron man/tough guy in it!!! He does the whole thing in like 7 minutes on a good day...we didn't get our team total time though?! Bah! My beau's team came third and they did it in 38 minutes...thank goodness for Becky and Vicky cos I had a major blow out on the run AS ALWAYS, why do they put the run last?! It was only half a mile but I almost puked my guts up during...Becky puked her guts up after her leg YIKES! I gave it my all, disappointed I slowed my time (and consequently the team's) down on my run (didn't pace the sit ups and pressups just boshed them as fast and hard as I could) BUT WE WON! Prize was a gym bag, workout towel, drink bottle (thank goodness as I left my brand new cycling bottle in the gym tonight what a wally!), t-shirt and a lucozade caffeine boost drink...

Main thing is I finished and I enjoyed it, was way nervous as I was first leg...but that was a good call because of my blow out dagnabit...

Will find out our time hopefully next week and see how many sexist remarks have accrued because we won! Bound to be more and many. Although a few of the blokes shook our hands and said way to go, etc.

The next challenge will be something to look forward to and I VOW TO IMPROVE MY CARDIO FITNESS, as it is poo on the treadmill running still...

Hey hey! Congrats on the win! Sounds like it was pretty intense; real shame most of the guys can't get into the fun spirit of things and have to show their sour grapes...fools. Sometimes the bigger the muscle, the smaller the brain, lol! The prizes sound pretty cool, I'd pass on the lucozade, but the rest of it is great.

What will you do for your cardio plan?

I know lucozade, ewwwww! People laugh when I tell them I make my own energy and isotonic drinks.

Cardio...well as I have possibly said before, biking and rowing and even the cross trainer are things I can use for going greater distances at the moment than running. Running is my weakest spot...I need to run more...run for longer and maybe join a small group or even a club so I can get serious about it. What I mean is, I have known it is my weak spot for ages and if I ever want to complete a proper triathlon, then I HAVE to work on it. So no time like the present.

Next week I will be starting my marathon training again for the indoor rower as well as upping my running mileage out on the road (the treadmill kills my shin splints but can use it for gym challenges at an incline)...I do have to work it out carefully though as I think I am going to have to change back to a more mixed diet rather than a more low carby one which is fine for weight training but a bit exhausting for endurance stints, we'll see, I'll play around with a few things. The book I need to research this is very expensive, so maybe I will try look for it in a library.

Monday I will be doing 7500m (have been checking out my previous times which seem yikes, how did I do that?!) on the rower and hopefully a 45 minute run/jog/walk...will see how far that takes me at the time. Which leaves about 40 minutes to weight train and warm up, stretch and cool down. Will do the weight training first as after cardio it seems pointless (as am so knackered)...

Yep I do intervals or fartlek...during spin class, when I am running and also during my personal trainer sessions (stationary bike and rower).

Monday 2nd Feb

Cor blimey! Big black and white pic of me and the gals who won the challenge up in the gym on the noticeboard...hmmm...One of the instructors who's job it now is to set the challenges each month spoke to me about how I found it and what he thought we should do next time...well...more strength work would mean less women would do it (apart from me of course who is game for anything), so they might be keeping it the same challenge to see if more peeps sign up...BUT I suggested that us women if there are all women's teams to do 50 proper press ups and 50 box press ups (kneeling ones) as we had the advantage with doing 100 kneeling, that is where we made up the time. Heard that the tough man was running at 13.8 miles per hour n the treadmill and he still didn't catch our team?! Geesh that is more than going flat out for me, I woulda puked, collapsed and possibly gone into a coma at THAT speed!

So, today I did the circuits workshop which was fun (six of us joined in) and then did some running intervals and some rowing intervals. Didn't quite use up my two hours, but left at around 11 so I could jog home in the snow...jogged to an appointment I had at lunchtime and jogged back home again...boy it's COLD out there brrrrrrrr!

Decided to start my rowing training tomorrow as I didn't feel ready, lacked the energy and generally feel a bit tired and overwhelmed before I even started today. Seems I am slumping on day one instead of just day four...bah! Think the jogging made up for it though, hopefully. Bring on 7500m rowing tomorrow!

Yeargh!

7500m row in 35.03 minutes...think that is better than when I was really fit before Xmas! Whoop! I even sprinted the last 150m or so...yey!

Ran home from the gym and did a 10 minute run on the treadmill before my shinsplints started to ache...then worked my abs, triceps and back...will run to pick the kids up from school (or attempt to as some bits of the path are still slushy and a bit slippery) then walk home...feeling pretty stoked.

Had an enormous endorphion rush for about a minute whilst rowing, it was AWESOME, goosebumps, smiles and ahhhhhh!

Back