Ellie's fitness diary (start 10.11.2008) Marathon training...

Been tired this week. Trained hard Thursday and since Tuesday, hard octathalon session. Expect to come third in the gym during octathalon 2nd May, will be ranked much lower against the rest of the country though all in all...but pleased I am in the tops in the gym...phew the two young gals I am up against, man they don't even puff when it comes to the treadmill work! But then they are only in their early twenties and here I am a year of going to the gym and not doing too badly with above average fitness levels...feeling my age again this week though and a bit down for some reason, maybe too much choccie and the fact my glycogen levels are full to bursting?!

Looking forward to the octathalon and the 10km...have a massage and a session with my personal trainer in between. He had me doing speed work Thursday. Carrying weights (10 and 11 0r 12 kg) up a hill and running, no sprinting between lamposts...up and down for half anf hour...in the sun though...it was exhausting but great! He killed me in the gym with step ups on two steps piled up, weights in hand (20kg in weight, 2 10kg plates in each hand!), press ups on the boxes and bench presses, sit ups (thankfully no farting involved this time!) as well as severe ab work...man I sweated and thought my face and head were going to explode!

So back to gym (but tapering this week and next, as have two events coming up soon...) don't want to burn out!

Phew! Tired and thirsty today...bring on the weekend!

I was watching the London marathon start this morning at the gym as I was slogging along, I thought of you when the women's elite runners started first, Nex. If you're starting to burn out, maybe change things up a bit?

Weren't those runners awesome! My gosh, the men set a pace of 15 miles per hour for the first hour nearly...crikey!

Yep am changing things this week as am still tired and thirsty, very irritable too...bah!

Friday 1st May
Holy carp, the day is upon me...I did three classes on Thursday (oh did anyone say taper?!) that I have never done before in the gym as a change, they were splash (pool aerobics), bums, legs and tums and boxfit with Faye...loved all three but am sore today all over...so decided instead of a day of complete rest to do yoga....

BIGGEST hoorah ever! I love yoga! I love it, it is soooo relaxing and some of the stretches feel sooooo GOOD....what a great decision, think it will only help tomorrow...I only did 100 calf raises as even though my calves never feel the pain, didn't want to jinx them tomorrow...

Here goes nothing! Excited, nervous and whhoooo! Name's on the website and everything....argh! Maybe come October I shall do the cup course somewhere else and then next year, the ultra octathalon...we'll see...eeek!

home

Racing at 3.15 p.m. today...

Wish me luck...

Wheeeeee!

Hey hey, racer girl! How did it go? I bet you were a real speed demon!!

I love yoga too, it can be such a great way to relieve tension and stress. Unfortunately, I don't care for the yoga instructor at my gym, I think he's dreadful, so am hoping to find someone I can connect with better.

Well I raced earlier than anticipated and I raced someone who should've been paired with someone else (but a race is a race is a race!) as she was in a slower time slot to me...beat her by a minute and came fourth in the womens' (16 of us) and am ranked 12th in the UK...so pleased with that result.

Am aiming to do the cup course and get ranked in October and also try and get my time to sub 11 minutes in the club course...

Running the Bristol 10km Sunday, nervous, had my sports massage today on calves and right foot...ouch! But am running better and also feeling the benefits of it already today...not as sore as before and Jules says my calves aren't as knotted up as they were previously.

YEY!

Not much else to add other than my rowing is pretty awesome now, can get the stroke rate right down to 22/23 and whoosh along...the judge at the octathalon asked if I did a lot of rowing and suggested I slow down a bit to save energy for the run on the treadmill.

So pleased t ohave finished it, know where I coulda done better, but that is always the nature of striving...

Nervous for Sunday now, had to cancel personal training hour as littlest off sick and I am feeling ever so dodgy as well...

Hey hey! Congrats on the great result, Nex, that's terrific! You're our very own Superwoman! :happy096:

Maybe it's just a bit of nerves hitting you, hope you're well and ready to rock tomorrow. I'll think of you while I'm at my Sunday a.m. session. :bliss:

Well I came 3465th out of around 8000 runners and my time for my first 10km race was 58 mins 19 secs....not too shabby but not too great either...am happy I ran the whole distance and it was a HUGE buzz seeing the elite athletes run past us in the oppostie direction as we approached the half way mark...the winning time was a staggering 28 minutes, how the frell do they do it?! The 5km race for life will be a doddle and am looking forward to the half marathon come September...wheeeeeee!

Well done :D

Well done, indeed! Think of where you were a year or 2 ago, Nex, and where you are now, how much your strength and fitness have improved and the great impact it's had on your quality of life. That's the main reward!

Yep you're right, this time last year I was just beginning to get fitter...and wouldn't have ever thought that I could run 10km, let alone think about running a marathon, etc...yes, the human body is truly amazing!

Just dropping in to say hi. Been over on Christie's thread too & I can't wait to get some more weight off & get fitter. You guys are awsome.

Can I ask your time for the 5k in April? (I've not had a chance to read back through all your diary yet). x :)

Hey there!

My 5km time is 28 minutes...it should really be faster as should my 10km time, but I wanted to run all the way through the races instead of burning out...so maybe come the race for life I can put my speed work to the test and maybe try a flat out (well not quite) 7.5/8/8.5 mile an hour pace to get me a better time (25 minutes or less?)...and then come marathon time perhaps quite a way under the two hours here's hoping...

28 mins is nothing to sneeze at, Nex...I think it's smart to gauge yourself, and not burn yourself out trying to go to fast. I think successful racing is about pace, really, pacing yourself to get the most out of your self.

28 mins is great. Mine time will probably be more like your 10k time!!! x ;)

Hey folks! I am fine, just got a little busy what with kids, study, training and all that jazz...still training hard, have begun to lift heavy in the gym (not that I wasn't already for a female) as need to build strength for the Octathalon Cup in October and as it is a knock out event or however you call it...I need to be very fit and very strong...so have begun a running club and my personal trainer has me running about with a 15kg powerbag on my shoulders...

Otherwise all is well...

Back