Emotional Diet

I've been doing a lot of research on diets and nutrition to help me post lipotrim and I think the major problem for me personally is the carbs.

I know what you mean about avin to make choices. When you ave the 3 shakes there's nothing else to think about. When you ave to count the total calories in a day, well that's just scary & too time consuming & mind boggling. That's why I enjoyed sw 2 yr ago because theres all that free food to choose from. You are such a rebel losit talkin about the dreaded F word. Lol

I read dr Atkins new diet revolution and after doing this diet, taking a low carb approach to a long term eating plan just makes sense.

I suggest people read it or books by Gary Taubes. It's the carbs which often make people feel constantly hungry, and which convert to sugar, which when left unused convert to fat in our bodies.

Fear of a diet which is higher in protein and fat is typical as it goes against all mainstream dieting advice, however if you start reading up there is actually some really interesting studies to suggest fats (the dreaded saturated fats in particular) are good for heart, and overall health, the studies suggesting otherwise are not conclusive and there are huge holes - it's the excessive sugars and starches which in my mind are the cause of obesity for so many people. I will post a link to some articles and videos that can better explain it than I can when I am not on my iPhone :)

I read dr Atkins new diet revolution and after doing this diet, taking a low carb approach to a long term eating plan just makes sense.

I suggest people read it or books by Gary Taubes. It's the carbs which often make people feel constantly hungry, and which convert to sugar, which when left unused convert to fat in our bodies.

Fear of a diet which is higher in protein and fat is typical as it goes against all mainstream dieting advice, however if you start reading up there is actually some really interesting studies to suggest fats (the dreaded saturated fats in particular) are good for heart, and overall health, the studies suggesting otherwise are not conclusive and there are huge holes - it's the excessive sugars and starches which in my mind are the cause of obesity for so many people. I will post a link to some articles and videos that can better explain it than I can when I am not on my iPhone :)

Please do..... thanks!!! xxx

I agree - I spent a long time feeling guilty about putting on weight when I'm a supposedly intelligent woman and spent even longer trying with varying degrees of success to take it back off again. and feeling even guiltier about failing. For most of my life there has been constant changes in advice about what to eat from the medical profession (many of whom are rather portly), it's no wonder people tend to switch off to the latest piece of advice. My Mum always counted calories, my older brother always avoided fat, no-one in my house even mentioned carbs. Of course it doesn't help when even doctors still don't always agree! I know it IS my own fault I have put on weight, but I wonder if it would have been easier to keep it off, or take it off if there was not so much conflicting advice. I never believed in the low carb revolution before - I thought it was another fad - now I do! (Though it has to be said I do like my carbs when I get them; I guess that's because they are addictive). Ok, rant over lol.

oh please put some links up, I'd really like to understand a bit more about a low carb diet, I think carbs are one of the reasons I have struggled to maintain when I lost 2 stones before (and the red wine hehe) ;)

oh please put some links up, I'd really like to understand a bit more about a low carb diet, I think carbs are one of the reasons I have struggled to maintain when I lost 2 stones before (and the red wine hehe) ;)

Mmmmmmmm red wine!!!

Why You Got Fat - YouTube

here's an easy to understand video explaining how the body processes carbs..

and a couple more clips from that same movie called FAT HEAD ..

Big Fat Lies - YouTube

Diets & Hunger - YouTube

Sugar and Starch - YouTube

and an article about saturated fats that refers to a number of scientific studies for further reading -

Is Saturated Fat bad for you?

to me it just makes sense - but like some of you have pointed out it can be confusing with so much conflicting diet advice. What's more important than anything is that you feel you are making a lifestyle choice that you can stick to. To not feel that you're on a 'diet' for life. If you view it in this way you're likely to break it at some point.

In the past when I have attempted to eat low fat (which inevitably is usually high-carb) I found I always felt deprived, and like mentioned in one of the above videos, this would usually result in me overindulging later on.

From my impressions eating a diet low in carbs, moderate to high in proteins and fats you find you feel satisfied more easily and for much longer (as your blood sugars are more stable) and you tend to not need to eat as much.

I don't plan on following any diet plan in particular but reading up on atkins and various other diet plans I think I can make the right choices (and in my mind that is to cut out processed foods, sugars and a lot of the starches with little nutritional value) - right now, I don't think I will be depriving my body in anyway, I am looking forward to being in control of my appetite and satisfying hunger with healthy servings of protein, veg and fat. The idea of eating bread, rice, pasta, sugar and potatoes really doesn't appeal to me any more. I think I can personally get more than adequate amounts of carbohydrate for energy from vegetables, berries and legumes, just my 2 pence.

Also if anyone wants to get an idea of what some low carb dieters are eating they could check out the atkins section of this forum to see the daily food diaries, you may be suprised at the variety and how healthily they actually eat ('LEAN + GREEN' :D)

Let me know what you make of it, if you agree/disagree or have a different approach. I am obviously still TFR and won't even be refeeding for a long time yet, so this is all theory for me - I will only tell what will truly work for my body when I can put it into practice.

you're welcome but remember i'm no expert! I think anyone interested should obviously have a look at the videos, do some more research into low carb, but also maybe research a few other nutritional approaches to decide what they feel is best for them :)

Hey,
All those links and advice is great, I'm so glad we are getting to talk about all this and the effect food can have. If i was to try and have this conversation with anyone else they'd be just telling me to stop eating crap....

Annamay, While i'm not strictly vegetarian, I don't eat pork, beef and have gone off chicken since well before tfr. I had food intolerance tests done a few years ago and I am sugar and animal fat intolerant. It was really interesting because I was being treated by doctors for very high cholesterol, imbalanced hormones and severe stress/depression.

The foods I was too avoid are the ones that cause high cholesterol, excessive adrenal/cortisol/serotonin/female hormones and insulin resistence.

Due to all my own research and a couple of apointments with an holistic nutritionist I am nearly back to normal, relatively drug free and now thanks to tfr, will get the rest of the rubbish out of my system so I can start with a clean slate again. Sorry I didn't mean to say so much there but it's just a little background.

So to the point....I can't eat much meat, I need to avoid processed carbs and can't each junk. So perhaps we can be of healp to each other.

I'II root out some of my notes and post up some of the high protein, carb like food that's available...this is if that's okay with people.

The Southbeach is another diet that is supposed to be atkins like, anyone heard of it.

Well, after trying to start lipotrim again sooo many times, I had hypnotherapy, working a treat so far.

fatgirlslim74 said:
Well, after trying to start lipotrim again sooo many times, I had hypnotherapy, working a treat so far.

That's great, may I ask, what is your typical day to day food intake like now?? :) how does hypno work, did she give you the guidelines on what to eat when you were doing it or not?

Back