Ending Emotional Eating

thanks hanmac just wasnt sure what it was

Hmmmm Hanmac may have to do Developers too - when I finish Foundation I hope to have lost between 3 and 3 1/2 stones - as I'm aiming to lose 5 stones I really should do another month of abstinence cos then I could get down to 4 1/2 stones leaving only 7lb to lose whilst in the 12 weeks of Management :) Also as my parents are coming over in November and staying until January I'm thinking its best to get as much weight off as possible before they arrive and start casting judgement and criticising my lack of meals!!

AJB why would you think of moving across to RTM before you get to where u want to be. When you come so far and get within reaching distance of your target you should try and stay that extra couple of weeks and get to where exactly you want to be before moving across. I would be scared incase Management did what it says and just managed you at the weight you were at and you ended up missing you target by just a few measely pounds. Sorry if i sound like im having a go. Im honestly not - you are just working so hard to get to your target huni x

When I did RTM I weighed the same after the 12 weeks as I did at the beginning, with a few fluctuations in between.
It's desigbed to help you maintain the weight loss you've achieved.

Thanks IWGT and SB - words of wisdom indeed - abstinence for me until healthy BMI target is reached it is then :D

Hi
I did 14 weeks foundation and 4 weeks developers. I started RTM yesterday, for me not doing it wasn't an option, I've put all this effort into losing the weight and didn't want to sabotage myself at the last hurdle. Our counsellor says that those who don't do RTM are the ones who usually end up coming back with a big weight gain (if they come back at all). She went through all the reasons to do RTM and all the reasons we might think that we can do it on our own - gave us a balanced view and said that at the end of the day it's our choice whether we do it or not (and didn't pressurise us in any way). Five of us from our group have gone on to RTM and all started yesterday so we are still supporting each other through the journey. I hope this helps.
Yx

Great article and good thread.

On the emotional eating side, RTM definately helps as you are dealing with real food, not just packs - Abstinence really is like a cocoon sheltering you from so many feelings and challenges that RTM introduces you to in a gentle, controlled way.

Post RTM and in the 'real' world it's so easy to say "I'll do this, or that" but to be honest after a couple fo months you slip so easily into everyday matters that food, and eating become less and less important. They are 100% of our focus on LL.

However, at the end of the day we are all the same people we were when starting LL. We all still have the same desires regarding weight as well as anything else, and (whilst sometimes we may need to consciously think about them), we all have the same needs to be fit/healthy/slim that were such strong motivators when we started the diet.

We do need to examine emotional eating, but TBH I think that if we feel we will overcome it through CBT we are deluding ourselves. What we MUST settle for is a recognition of the triggers, and be able to stop a lapse from becoming critical. That in my mind is true success.

On the RTM issue, please, please, please don't even think of skipping RTM; at the very least complete the first 8-9 weeks, you'll be amazed at how your feelings and thoughts change. Trust me, it willbe the best bit of the diet. :)

the guys returning to LL in my group have all said they regret not ding RTM. not one of them did it. All of them did the foundation and lost what they wanted and then went on with their lives, a year later they are backing having put on much of the same weight they lost .

I will not be doing that. This has been too damn hard to attempt it in a years time. s
Im seeing this through and sorting my head out. Looking forward to ending it though :p

Good for you Flex. I think that's the only way to definitely keep it off for good. Your finishing post is in sight!

Good for you Flex. I think that's the only way to definitely keep it off for good. Your finishing post is in sight!

The nearer it gets the harder its feeling ill be honest.

Ive started thinking about RTM already and I shouldnt as Im not there yet.

Cant think of the gold just yet

Completely sympathise FF, found myself looking at RTM recipes the other day, then realised I still have another 5 weeks of abstinence, then 4 weeks of developers.

Need to slow down a bit!

Wouldn't dare think of skipping RTM a friend of mine lost 5 stones in 5 months - celebrated by buying a fabulous new wardrobe of clothes - didn't do RTM and gained it all back and then some!!

When I said I was doing LL she was dead against it - went on about how it was a waste of money and doesn't change anything but when I challenged her on it turns out she didn't put as much work into CBT as I'm doing (I always do my homework like a good girl) and didn't do RTM.

I swore that when I started LL I would do it for the full term including RTM - I'm in it for the long haul - it took me years to gain this weight so what's a few more months focusing on losing it?!

Guys i think we all know it isnt an option to skip RTM. We gotta get to our goal and then move across. AJB ur right - what is a few extra weeks when we have been carrying around this extra weight for years

If you want my opinion - and maybe you don't!
RTM is really an essential part of LL.
We all know abstinence works. We've all heard of people who have struggled when they don't do RTM. Many of the people who successfully maintain did complete RTM.
I found it helps you re-introduce food gradually and with control. It is also designed to help you identify your own individual triggers for overeating and develop ways to cope with those temptations.
If you have followed something that is so well designed and planned I can't see the point of cutting out the finsl part.
Also as so many people have said, maintaining is NOT easy. Abstinence is easier.
I have been maintaining for over a year and a half now and still today I have had a tough day when I've found it hard not to stuff my face!
It ain't always easy.:sigh:

I have been reading through the RTM posts, I have never needed will power like I do toady.
it is harder being told to eat than it is not to eat. I am a bit scared about putting any weight back on.

Well said SB. RTM has worked for you - so thats good enough for me.
Linda are you eating food then but trying to eat healthy??

Yeah Lind, you are right. After being in abstinence it is then terrifying to start eating again. You imagine that everything you eat is going to make you fat again.
The temptation is to keep losing. I know I went a bit too far and my LLC had to persuade me to eat enogh during RTM.

I'm counting on RTM to see me through the festive period - I've read a few posts from Returners on here who went completely potty and gained loads back in that time - I really can't afford that to happen to me :(

IWGT, yes I am having to eat food again. Problem is I am not hungry and my tummy has shrunk so I am not eating that much at all. I hope it stays that way until I get my head around eating again.

Back