Enjoying the gym?!

I've always enjoyed going to the gym or doing exercise. Lately I've really enjoyed the gym. :D

i go to the gym 3 times a week, it is the only days that i feel that i have earned by dinner that night.

I'm now addicted to the gym - but have been thinking about trying a class - now I feel as if it won't be too embarrassing and I shouldn't have to stop and take a break every 5 mins!

Can anyone recommend a class for that common prob area of stomach/bum/legs?

Does pilates help that area?

circuit training if theres one near you ? you use alot of equipment thats specified for certain areas , step aerobics very good for for mainly legs and bums .

I've always had peaks and troughs with the gym.

I didn't start going until just after I finished uni, as I was playing football and training for tha 5 nights a week, plus working in a bar, so I was slender and toned with no effort at all.

Then it all went away after I graduated and had to get a real job.

I think the problem with gyms is that when you first start it tends to be a bit of a novelty that you fit in when you can. You look for excuses to put it off, as it's not something you really want to do.

After 3 or 4 regular sessions, it becomes part of what you do, rather than something you have to add on to your day, if that makes sense.

The danger is that if you miss a couple of sessions, you fall out of that routine, and have to motivate yourself to go again.

Sometimes I absolutely love the gym. Other times I avoid it like the plague.

Does anyone do any classes? I've found they are a great way to actually get a good work out, as sometimes I found myself going to the gym, doing a little bit, then sitting there being distracted by the televisions :)

I used to do a spin class 3 or 4 times a week, as well as a circuit class. I've not done these for ages, but have decided to go to spin again tonight.

For anyone who doesn't know exactly what it is, it's essentially group cycling on exercise bikes that feel like real bikes, as opposed to the standard exercise bike feel. It can be a really hard class, and after an hour you come away covered in sweat, but really feeling like you have had a great workout.

They recently installed new bikes at my gym, and they have a calorie counter on. A 45 minute session tends to burn around 6-700 calories for me, but being a big fat man, that number is always going to be lower for others.

For anyone who lacks motivation, I'd strongly suggest a spin class, they're actually pretty good fun, usually some good music and quite a few people in them.

Just been told that I'm also doing boxercise tonight, which I've not done before. I'll report back with what I think about it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi Rich, I’m a real spin fan too doing 3-4 per week. I sometimes do 6 if I can squeeze them in, in between visits during the day.
I’ve not been for a couple of months now because I had an op. I can start going to the beginner’s classes from the 1st Sept and build back up to ‘crazy’ spin from there.

I’m what they call a big lass/well built - I love going to different classes and watching peoples – they always appears to be thinking I’ll be getting off after 5 minutes. Of course I don’t because I have been doing the classes for nearly 3 years now along with a mixture of circuit and pump classes.

In my opinion spin is the best class in the gym

Aislinn x

It really is a great class. You certainly know you have been in the gym when you finish!

I love the gym so much.:character00116: I even went in my first week of doing Cambridge, even tho my counsellor advised against any strenuous exercise in the first couple of weeks. :character00115: I couldn't help myself, I'm such a gym junkie. :whacky068:

I also go to the Body Balance classes at my gym, it's a combination of pilates, yoga and tai chi, it's quite a tough class, but you feel sooo relaxed after it:character00100:

I tried yoga and Pilates a couple of times but didn’t like either - I think I like the immediate adrenalin rush and the fact that I can hardly stand when I’ve finished…….Lol!!
My OH half loves the classes and swears by them though.

My sister does a trampoline class and hoopla at her gym – she says both are brill. We have a suggestions box so new classes can be introduced I think I will suggest both of those when I’m able to take part!!

Aislinn x

I've always had peaks and troughs with the gym.

I didn't start going until just after I finished uni, as I was playing football and training for tha 5 nights a week, plus working in a bar, so I was slender and toned with no effort at all.

Then it all went away after I graduated and had to get a real job.

I think the problem with gyms is that when you first start it tends to be a bit of a novelty that you fit in when you can. You look for excuses to put it off, as it's not something you really want to do.

After 3 or 4 regular sessions, it becomes part of what you do, rather than something you have to add on to your day, if that makes sense.

The danger is that if you miss a couple of sessions, you fall out of that routine, and have to motivate yourself to go again.

Sometimes I absolutely love the gym. Other times I avoid it like the plague.

Does anyone do any classes? I've found they are a great way to actually get a good work out, as sometimes I found myself going to the gym, doing a little bit, then sitting there being distracted by the televisions :)

I used to do a spin class 3 or 4 times a week, as well as a circuit class. I've not done these for ages, but have decided to go to spin again tonight.

For anyone who doesn't know exactly what it is, it's essentially group cycling on exercise bikes that feel like real bikes, as opposed to the standard exercise bike feel. It can be a really hard class, and after an hour you come away covered in sweat, but really feeling like you have had a great workout.

They recently installed new bikes at my gym, and they have a calorie counter on. A 45 minute session tends to burn around 6-700 calories for me, but being a big fat man, that number is always going to be lower for others.

For anyone who lacks motivation, I'd strongly suggest a spin class, they're actually pretty good fun, usually some good music and quite a few people in them.

Just been told that I'm also doing boxercise tonight, which I've not done before. I'll report back with what I think about it tomorrow.

I agree. The classes are a great way to guarantee a good work out.

My faves are:

Spin
Body Combat and
Circuits.

I've done boxercise before but they vary from instructor to instructor so I'm often disinclined to do it. The class I did do was ace :D but the ones i've sat in on were cr*p.

I have been looking for a thread like this!

I too have always thought I'm not one for exercise (I play for a Hockey team but even there am a goalie so don't have to run about!). I joined a gym about a month ago now. I've found I tend to go every day apart from Sunday now whether it be gym or classes. And it appears that I'm becoming a bit of a gym bunny myself. Who knew? I do feel a bit bad if I miss a day

But do any of you find that you are now more active in other areas of your life? I mean I am at my parents today and normally I would veg completely on the sofa watching tele. But today, I have taken the dog for two hour long brisk walks, and am actually off out in a few minutes for another one. I would never do this before. I just feel like I have much more "get up and go" since starting the gym?

Trying to catch up with the thread - fave and least fave equipment.

Fave - "Mini Stepper" - absolutely love this, really feel it working your legs and depending on what intensity you do it you can really get your heart rate going or work the muscles!
Upright Bike - I find it really motivating to try and keep the RPM over 100 on level 6, and try to beat my time of 17mins for 8km. It's hard but it is so motivatingfor the 20 mins!

Least fave - Rower - Can't do it, 5 mins and my shoulders feel they are coming out of the sockets. I know its my posture but I just steer clear of it!
Running on Treadmill - Have always had sore knees so find the impact too painful. I know its a great cardio workout - but I much prefer an nice brisk incline walk!!

As for classes, I have done/or do do the following and would recommend any of these:

Core Stability
- Not a cardio workout, but it focuses on your core muscles, posture and balance for a great toning session. There is lots of stability ball work and you get to focus on particular muscles. For example sqauting with the stability ball behind your back for minute at a time. Jeez it hurts but you see results.
Body Combat - Using boxing moves in an aerobice workout is a great calorie burner and great fun. Plus it is amazing for pent up aggression!!
Spinning - Definately agree with everyone above. Used to do this a couple of times a week - but now trying to build myself up slowly to 3-4 a week. Great workout, and I don't know if its the same for your guys but I can choose my own resistance levels so if I'm struggling one day I can lower! Great!
Body Pump - Weights work to music. I don't know if my instructor is particularly good but the music match up is amazing and gets you going. Absoluteley love this class - and even though its mainly muscle tone the intesity means you burn up to 600 a class. It is hard, but my fitness level is poor - I stepped out when I felt I needed too.
Aerotone - to me this is just aerobics but with a few extra moves focused on toning. It's definatly hard work - you should see my puffy hamster cheeks afterwards!!

*takes a breath from essay post*

Anyone tried Step classes? I'm actually a bit scared to try this. I don't think I could handle it!

Finally - Mr W. I was intimidated about the stares or looks from other people. But I new that exercising will help my weight loss. When I first started and got those looks I felt bad I held on to that feeling for dear life. That is the reason I want to lose weight - because I don't want to feel uncomfortable or bad for the way I look!!!

Finally - I am sorry, I'm not good at short post - I doubt any of you have even read this far :) Better get going - the dog has been waiting for his walk for nearly an hour!!!!!!

But do any of you find that you are now more active in other areas of your life? I mean I am at my parents today and normally I would veg completely on the sofa watching tele. But today, I have taken the dog for two hour long brisk walks, and am actually off out in a few minutes for another one. I would never do this before. I just feel like I have much more "get up and go" since starting the gym?

Totally agree!!!

Since starting the gym (and losing weight) I am much more active and although I still think twice - I don't actually mind walking up stairs rather than taking the lift/escalators.

Before, I would of even tried to talk myself out of walking down the stairs at work (and taking the lift instead) - convincing myself that it was quicker to take the lift!!!

I still have quite a few stone to lose - and certainly can improve my fitness further - but I can't believe how much a difference it's made to my life already!

I also think that my metabolism has improved by getting more active and along with the body toning benefits - I'm really glad I'm combining SW with improving my fitness!

:bliss:

It is amazing isn't it. I mean I'm only on week 4 starting tomorrow but already I can see silly differences with things like doing housework. Normally, I take ages getting off my backside to do anything but now I just do it because I have that energy.

It looks like your weight loss has been fantastic - I just hope that I really do stick with this - not only do I have more energy but just exercising has made my outlook on everything so much more positive. I am so much more happier, and just hope it all pays off.

Question for all - do you have a weekly regime you try to stick to (if so what) or do you just do "what you feel like" week to week?

I just do what I feel like every week though this often means gym at least 4 times a week (which will consist of around 30-45 mins cardio and a variety of weights).

However, now I feel much fitter and going to the gym is part of my 'normal' working day I think I may start recording what I do each day and start consciously building up my activities.

I'm even thinking about getting a heart beat monitor - does anyone else use these?

If so, are they beneficial and do they work and what type do you use? Any advice will be appreciated.

I just do what I feel like every week though this often means gym at least 4 times a week (which will consist of around 30-45 mins cardio and a variety of weights).

However, now I feel much fitter and going to the gym is part of my 'normal' working day I think I may start recording what I do each day and start consciously building up my activities.

I'm even thinking about getting a heart beat monitor - does anyone else use these?

If so, are they beneficial and do they work and what type do you use? Any advice will be appreciated.

I have a heart rate monitor. It's good if you want to get the most out of your training i.e. working out the zones in which you need to train to burn fat rather than just workout aerobically. You will be able to track your fitness more accurately.

I used to have a Polar one, but that fell on the floor and broke, I can't remember the brand name of the one I have now. Any HRM will do, the make is unimportant.

I normally go 3 times a week and do 70-80 mins cardio then free weights and stretching. I definitely want to get into a few classes though and try them out, just a bit worried about the pace! lol

i myself never thought about going to GYM, I always prefer walking and jogging to reduce or maintain my weight. Jogging and Walking not only keep be fit and keep my body in good but also saves GYM expanses.

Thanks
Sophia Alliee

I used to fear the gym. My mind would just think about the worst case scenario.

I was worried because I was going to be the fat guy amongst the pretty people. I worried that I would look like an idiot and not know what to do or how to use the machines. I thought the very image of a fat guy doing certain exercises was kind of embarassing. :D

I was wrong.

The majority of the people i the gym are willing to help you, their isn't a lot of judging going on that I can see. It is empowering and motivational.

I was lucky that a friend of mine is actually a "success coach". I know it sounds cliche, but he helped me deal with some of my mental hurdles.

Once Iw ould only go on the most off peak hours, but I can walk in the gym at the busiest time in a strange town and feel comfortable.

I focus on weight lifting and my favourites are:

Squats
Incline Dumbbell Press
Leg Extensions
Preacher Curl

I used to fear the gym. My mind would just think about the worst case scenario.

I was worried because I was going to be the fat guy amongst the pretty people. I worried that I would look like an idiot and not know what to do or how to use the machines. I thought the very image of a fat guy doing certain exercises was kind of embarassing. :D

I was wrong.

Me too!! The gym I go to is an expensive upmarket sports club, I joined it mostly because my best friend goes there too. But I was petrified that all the pretty, thin, rich people would laugh me out of the door. But like you say I was so wrong.

Everyone is too bothered about their own cellulite and wobbly bits to be at all concerned with what I'm doing. And the atmosphere there is amazing, there really are no show off's. I expected everyone to be flashing their bling and jogging in Gucci, but no, no posers there... I love my gym and come hell or high water I will scrape the money together for my membership if it kills me.:giggle:

I think you just made a great point there Surfhunny.

I was always scared that people would be watching and sniggering at me - but in classes for example, everyone else is so engrossed they dont care

Yeah exactly - people are into their own thing.

Also don't be afraid to ask help of the people working at the gym. If you have to, a polite question to a fellow gym member will also usually get you an answer.

Maybe wait to ask them when they are in between exercises. Asking a person who is struggling with their 8th rep of a personal best bench press probably won't be too helpful.:D

Also, this may seem weird - but learn how to "spot." I felt like a TOOL the first time I was asked to spot someone because he was using dumbells and I had no idea how to do that. He told me, but if you want to avoid the possible embarassment, just youtube/google it.

Back