ensuring you eat enough calories

KatiePillow

Hey, I calculated my BMR, and it's said I need to cut down to 1354 calories, I was using a phone app, and followed it for like 3 weeks (assuming it wouldn't tell me to do something stupid..) which put me down to 1070!

I'm trying really hard to eat a minimum of 1200 calories, but tbh, I'm struggling.

I can obviously bump it up with unhealthy food, but I'm struggling to eat enough healthy food.
I'm finding that I just don't have any will to eat =/ Because I don't see the point in eating when it's just to keep 'full'

Typically, I have 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, yogurt and banana for breakfast, carrot and cucumber for morning snack, a salad for lunch with orange for desert, fruit in the afternoon and a dinner.

But I'm really struggling to get to 1200, usually end up on about 1100 >.<

I KNOW it's unhealthy, but don't know what to do.

I'm finding the same thing myself. I'm struggling to get to 1200 after all my meals. I had a piece of flap jack and a chocolate biscuit last night to bump it up and was still 60 short. I just don't want to start getting into the habit of picking again.

I had a really filling lunch (early dinner) yesterday and it was still only like 350 calories :s, I'm not sure how to get enough. The only times I seem to get to my recommended amount is when my OH makes rice and gives me a giant portion of it, but obviously don't want to just fill up on rice :(
Glad I'm not alone.

I was like this for quite awhile at the beginning of calorie counting but now I don't have any problems.

I just plan the day before what I am going to eat and make sure it adds up.

If I am short now I just eat a few nuts, they are very calorie dense but very nutritious and good for you.

Your daily menu looks fine really. If you feel well and are still losing steadily then I'd say don't stress about it! Calorie counting isn't an exact science and every person is different. It's more important to eat good foods that nourish you.

If you want to bump things up then the obvious way would be a hunk of cheese with your salad!! It's wicked high calorie lol

My problem is that food I love I don't want to just stop - melted cheese, fried onion on toast (miss that, but found can get the same onion taste through roasting them!) and chocolate. Yesterday had one cube of dairy milk and it was the hardest thing I've ever done I think!

Might try doing a weekly total, that way I can eat more at the weekends :)
Thanks guys ^.^

And me I struggle to keep within1200, but if you want to increase yor intake but not eat crap don't eat reduced fat stuff like yoghurt, cheese and milk. Nuts are really good for you but have higher calorie value.
Are you counting everything? Milk for tea and coffee? Your fruit and vegetables? I bought a drink from shop the other day was so annoyed about the calories it had in it, think it was 100 or so for a squash drink ggrr

I only drink sugar free squash from home, don't drink any hot drinks, I include all vegetables, I think I over-charge some things and under do others, (I think I think lettuce is higher calorie than it is for example.)

I go over some days, but that's when I'm eating the things I don't want to eat! probably evens out, but I'm really cautious about what I'm eating (for example I had tuna with a salad, but would only let myself have about a 50p pieces' worth because I was scared of going over my calories for the day, but ended up under.

Once I relax I'm sure it'll be fine! :)
Also, I've noticed that some squash drinks (oasis I think) are worse than sprite or cola o.o which is just wrong.

And Numz - I think I'm only struggling because the app I use to log my food tells me that I am only allowed 1070, so I always stick to that in my head,

Hi KatiePillow,

maybe you could follow a plan for a couple of weeks to teach yourself portion sizes? I just bought the latest Rosemary Conley mag and she has a plan in there which adds up to 1200 a day for women.
I aim for 1200 a day but if I dont make it I dont worry too much, I know I'll use them on my one night of wine and soda that I allow myself once a week!

Maybe switch apps? Myfitnesspal is a good free one that most of us use? You can set your own cals if you want too then.

Also I think you'd benefit from inputting your days plan as you eat your breakfast. Then you know what you plan for lunch/dinner won't use all your calories and you can relax and just enjoy eating it!!!

I used to hoard my cals thinking I'd 'need' them later lol. It's a bit of a stress head way of dieting!! (and I am a serious stress head!!) I'm so much more relaxed now I plan the day over breakfast. And I've noticed I eat less rubbish as there's barely any 'impulse eating' where I grab a bit of this or that.

Legomom is right, if you are worried about going over your calorie allowance know in advance what you are going to eat and how many calories that is. I must admit I know at the end of everyday what I am having the following day or at least till lunch time. My fitness pal is a great free app ;)

Have a glass of fruit juice. My little bottles are 143 calories and one of your 5 a day. One way of bumping up calories but still bring healthy :)

And me I struggle to keep within1200, but if you want to increase yor intake but not eat crap don't eat reduced fat stuff like yoghurt, cheese and milk. Nuts are really good for you but have higher calorie value.
Are you counting everything? Milk for tea and coffee? Your fruit and vegetables? I bought a drink from shop the other day was so annoyed about the calories it had in it, think it was 100 or so for a squash drink ggrr

When I first started, I bought a Sunny Delight without thinking, like 240 cals for 500ml bottle, I drank it and counted the calories to teach myself WHY I was changing the habits and was it worth it? It wasn't. Not bought one since!

legohead said:
I used to hoard my cals thinking I'd 'need' them later lol. It's a bit of a stress head way of dieting!! (and I am a serious stress head!!) I'm so much more relaxed now I plan the day over breakfast. And I've noticed I eat less rubbish as there's barely any 'impulse eating' where I grab a bit of this or that.

That's exactly it! I am tense and stressed/worried over nothing all the time, so naturally that's the way I diet. I think I'll go back to doing a weekly food plan, and reserve myself 100/200 calories for snacks in case I need them :)

Thanks everyone.. and think I'll download myfitnesspal too :)

(love this forum, my OH is getting a bit bored of me chatting calories..)

Same hun, mine just keeps saying 'your doing well'. Lol.

Mine keeps complaining about all the veg on his plate! When it's about a 1/3 the amount on mine *sigh* still. Once I have a 28" waist, I can call HIM 'pudgy'

Just downloaded the app btw! Incredibly accurate. Rice is a lot higher than I expected, and my veg is a lot lower :) Just got to stick to good vegetables in future ^.^

I struggle to make up cals on days I do a long run but I've just bought some nuts & flapjacks that'll help replenish some of them. They'd be a good calorie boost for u too.

I also plan my entire weeks meals out & divide my calories so I know I'm allowed 10,500 a week so I have 1,300 on tue/wed/thur/fri & 1,750 on sat/sun/mon.

I'm a chocolate head to so have a piece everyday I just count it as a snack & add it in. Usually a freddo (95cals) curly wurly (115cals) or a thin Cadbury bar (110cals).

Back