Erm's Photo Diary

Sunday 11th Mar Green

Breakfast: Coffee & toast 1.2 HEXA, 1 HEXB
Lunch: Spicy spaghetti & almond and lemon polenta cake :rolleyes: too many syns
Tea: Chicken Katsu 1 HEXB & 1.5 syns for chicken, 2.5 syns for cornflake coating. 7 syns for katsu sauce (coconut, almonds, honey, ketchup, cornflour)
Snacks: Muller with cherry underlay 1.5 syns

Welll... we went off for a walk and intended to go for a coffee at this place we haunt. Then the OH decides he's hungry. So I think Ohhhhh one pasta wont hurt, given that I took yesterday off anyway. So I picked this dish that used to be my fave, spicy spaghetti. And theeeeeeen well the cake was looking at me. Well they all were. So I picked the Almond, Lemon & Polenta cake. Then I changed my mind and swapped it for the Lemon Cheesecake. Then I changed it back again and got the Polenta cake. Well I was actually pretty damn pleased with myself for not just buying both :rolleyes:

And I was bummed cos my spicy spaghetti was cr@ppe! Nothing like it used to be, it was like a tin of CrappieStuffe :cry:

6833137266_6ed779050e_o.jpg

But the cake made up for it! Nom! :drool:

6833137104_07ed0e8769_o.jpg

(We actually had the cake as starter as it took 'em an hour to cook some cold crappetti :( )

After that we was soooo stuffed I didnt think I was gonna want any tea, but we walked for miiiiiles! Then came home and made my Chicken Katsu - which was fabtastic!!! :drool:

6979263627_911876fbd9_o.jpg

6833137590_3e2feca400_o.jpg

The crust is cornflakes! Fab idea! You could probably make a HEX version if you tried but it was only a coupla syns. The sauce was nice and went sooooooo well with the rice & soya beans! I made my own korma paste from a Jamie Oliver recipe and included coconut & almonds, which you could also HEX if you tried I think. I think you could use tomato puree and add a bit of Splenda instead of ketchup if you want? And omit or sub the cornflour. Its definitely editable to make it low syn/HEXes but tbh it's well worth the syns anyway :) Definitely on the Make Again list. :)

Last edited:
Monday 12th Mar Green

Breakfast: Coffee 1 HEXA
Lunch: Quorn tagine 1.5 syns with caesar salad 4.5 syns SPEEEWWWWWtastic! :eek:
Tea: Roast squash & shallots with merguez chickpeas 0.5 HEXB for oil
Snacks: Snap peas, baby corn, tomatoes, Quorn slices, Muller light

Not as exciting as it looks. :rolleyes: And definitely not worth all the faff :( It's supposed to be a mezze but I did it as a main When I was making it there hardly looked any of it so I served the lot between 2 of us even though its supposed to serve 4 - baaaaaaaaaad mistake. VERY filling :rolleyes: Also very sweet once you've eaten quite a bit, with the caramelised, sweet onions & squash :( Definitely not meant to be a main! :eek: Shoulda served 4 and done it with a salad lik wot it sez on da tin :p

6833137768_8d3eb07af3_o.jpg

6979264131_be2931dc3d_o.jpg

Cheese fest looks amazing mmm!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

How have I never spotted your thread before? I'm drooling like a madwoman! Subscribing to this so I can have a good nosey through everything when I get home :)

What I like about your diary is that you own up to the syns, all the syns! Maybe I should try a diary. My week has been a synfest but not in a good way. Reading your last few posts reminds me that if you're gonna go off piste then make sure it's a proper one day black run and not a 4 day unspectacular but VERY unhealthy faff about on the nursery slopes. Thanks Erm. Chick peas looks nice. Chicken looks yum yum. Have you already posted a recip? X

Hiya, hope you don't mind, I had a quick nosey through your diary and your food looks amazing. I love the idea of keeping photo diary, good inspiration for those days when you don't know what to make :) Just ordered some yogurt to make some of you cheese. Thanks for sharing with everyone.
Anna x

OMG Erm :eek: cheese fest :eek: looks fab though :giggle: hope you enjoyed it :D silly thing to say really as know you and cheese :D

Hope all is well in your world my lovely :bighug: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hellloooo Jackiieeeee, how is you? I havent been keeping track, hope all is OK in your world?

Cheese fest is over now :D Put a pound on this week, but thats really not bad considering! Cheese lust outta my system now! :) Shall tootle over in a bit when Ive done today's foodies x :)

Last edited:
What I like about your diary is that you own up to the syns, all the syns! Maybe I should try a diary. My week has been a synfest but not in a good way. Reading your last few posts reminds me that if you're gonna go off piste then make sure it's a proper one day black run and not a 4 day unspectacular but VERY unhealthy faff about on the nursery slopes. Thanks Erm. Chick peas looks nice. Chicken looks yum yum. Have you already posted a recip? X

Yeah thats what I thought with the cheese thing, I've got to make it a one-night only otherwise Ill just snack every day :rolleyes: So I did the big blow out then sent most of the leftovers to work with the OH to feed his workmates! :8855: I kept most of the cheese in the house cos I do mostly Green and can HEX that for with my lumnch/snacks etc and half of it is already mouldy so it doesnt really matter of a few more blue hairs start coming out of it... :whistle: But I sent nearly all the crackers, bread, chutneys etc with the OH so they're outta temptation's way :)

Which chicken's that lovely? The Katsu? I got that outta the BBC mag, Ill post it in a bit when I find it x :)

Hiya, hope you don't mind, I had a quick nosey through your diary and your food looks amazing. I love the idea of keeping photo diary, good inspiration for those days when you don't know what to make :) Just ordered some yogurt to make some of you cheese. Thanks for sharing with everyone.
Anna x

tbh I *need* the photos as just keeping a food diary I can look back and its a meaningless mess of nonsenese that I cant even be bothered to read :rolleyes: How the hell am I gonna remember what North African Chickpea Wotsistry even was in three weeks never mind three months! So I just photo it, stick it on flickr and write a note underneath of whether it was any good and if I changed anything in it. Then anything that was worth making again I email myself the recipe and stick it in my foodie-faves folder so I can dig it out at a later date :)

Tuesday 13th Mar Green

Breakfast: Coffee & fruit 1 HEXA
Lunch: Veggie chilli 0.5 syns for chocolate
Tea: Black bean soup with chocolate & chilli 2 syns for chocolate
Snacks: Snap peas, baby corn, tomatoes, carrots, Quorn slices, 3 Babybel 1 HEXB, Muller light

6981810177_cac336688a_o.jpg

Righty, Chicken Katsu

I got this from the Good Food mag, April 2012

Chicken Katsu

Ingredients:
- 1 chicken breast per person
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp crushed cornflakes (about 14g) per person

For the Katsu sauce:
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2-3 tbsp korma paste (I made my own from the Jamie Oliver recipe, see below. You might want to use less than this, I like mine hot)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cornflour

To serve:
- 1 red chilli, deseeded & very finely sliced
- fresh coriander
- basmati rice
- soya beans

Method:
- Heat oven to 180C
- Crush the cornflakes down to a fine crumb eg in a pestle & mortar
- Dip the chicken in the egg, coat in the cornflake crumbs and bake for 15-20min or until done
- Meanwhile put all the sauce ingredients in a pan, add 500ml water and heat, stirring, until thickened. Cover and simmer for 5 min.
- Cook the rice and soya beans

When cooked, put the rice/soya bean mix in a bowl, pour some sauce next to it, slice the chicken and place on top. Scatter with chillies and coriander. Done! :)

6979263627_911876fbd9_o.jpg

6833137590_3e2feca400_o.jpg

Like I say it worked out about 9.5 syns but was well, well worth it. :drool:

You could probably substitute quite a lot of it for SW-friendly stuff if you tried.
- 2 syns for the cornflakes - might be able to substitute a HEX-able cereal?
- 1.5 syns for ketchup - maybe could try tomato puree and Splenda?
- 1 syn for conrnflour - you could reduce/omit or sub with Smash or something?
- Korma paste - I made my own which worked out 3 syns for coconut and almonds but you could use an alternative one without nuts in, or HEX some it and/or use a bit less (mine was hot)
- and 1.5 syns for honey

But like I say, this sort of stuff is what I *like* to spend my syns on! :)

ermintrude said:
Tuesday 13th Mar Green

Breakfast: Coffee & fruit 1 HEXA
Lunch: Veggie chilli 0.5 syns for chocolate
Tea: Black bean soup with chocolate & chilli 2 syns for chocolate
Snacks: Snap peas, baby corn, tomatoes, carrots, Quorn slices, 3 Babybel 1 HEXB, Muller light

That soup looks amazing :) is the recipe on this thread somewhere? x

Korma paste:
edited from a Jamie Oliver recipe:

Ingredients:
- 2-3 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 tsp coriander seeds
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 fresh green chillies
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut (20g = 6 syns)
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds (15g = 5 syns)

Method:
- Dry fry the coriander & cumin seeds in a pan for a few minutes until browning & aromatic. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Crush the seeds in a P&M or spice blender
- Put all ingerdients in a food processor along with 2-3 tbsp water and whizz to a paste

Makes about 6 tbsp. I used 3 in the Katsu curry, which served 3-4 people so worked out about 2 syns per person.

Thanks Erm for the recips. I have been invaded by family this week and it's all fairly stressful. But I'm determined to get a food plan together for next week so going to scroll back through your thread for more inspiration!

Am I reading correctly that somewhere there's a cheese recip?!!

However mothering Sunday will be off piste, and I'm going for the one day black run version! He he x

That soup looks amazing :) is the recipe on this thread somewhere? x

Black bean soup with chocolate & chillies

I adapted this from the Dennis Cotter book For the Love of Food

Ingredients:
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, desseded & finely chopped
- 1 chipotle chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 500g black beans, soaked overnight & drained
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 litre veg stock
- 3 squares dark chocolate, chopped (about 8 syns)
- juice of 1 lime
- spring onions, finely sliced
- fresh coriander

Method:

- fry onion in Fry Light for 5 min or until softening
- Add garlic, chillies, oregano, spices, pepper & celery & cook on a medium heat for 8 min until softening
- Add beans, tomato puree and stock and simmer for 40 min
- When done whizz 1/3 of the mix in a processor to thicken up. Return to pan and reheat
- Add the chocolate and stir in to melt
- Stir in the lime juice and a large pinch of salt (to taste)
- Serve in bowls with spring onion & coriander scattered on top

It was very nice but it could have done with a little more flavour IMO. DEFINITELY goes wonderfully with the spring onions & coriander on top though, don't serve it on its own ommm :drool: The original was meant to have avocado and stuff in too but we wont go there :whistle:

Last edited:
Thanks Erm for the recips. I have been invaded by family this week and it's all fairly stressful. But I'm determined to get a food plan together for next week so going to scroll back through your thread for more inspiration!

Am I reading correctly that somewhere there's a cheese recip?!!

However mothering Sunday will be off piste, and I'm going for the one day black run version! He he x

Ah the cheese recipe is here, its labne - more a soft-cheese thing, a bit like Boursin. :)

Black bean soup with chocolate & chillies

I adapted this from the Dennis Cotter book For the Love of Food

Ingredients:
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, desseded & finely chopped
- 1 chipotle chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 500g black beans, soaked overnight & drained
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 litre veg stock
- 3 squares dark chocolate (about 8 syns)
- juice of 1 lime
- spring onions, finely sliced
- fresh coriander

Method:

- fry onion in Fry Light for 5 min or until softening
- Add garlic, chillies, oregano, spices, pepper & celery & cook on a medium heat for 8 min until softening
- Add beans, tomato puree and stock and simmer for 40 min
- When done whizz 1/3 of the mix in a processor to thicken up. Return to pan and reheat
- Stir in the lime juice and a large pinch of salt (to taste)
- Serve in bowls with spring onion & coriander scattered on top

It was very nice but it could have done with a little more flavour IMO. DEFINITELY goes wonderfully with the spring onions & coriander on top though, don't serve it on its own ommm :drool: The original was meant to have avocado and stuff in too but we wont go there :whistle:

When does the chocolate go in? x

Back