Erm's Photo Diary

Erm you look like a fabulous cook. Please can I come round for tea??! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Me too! I wanna come for tea too :D

Here's the recipe for tostones Peel and cut into thick rings, roast at 200C for 20 minutes, take out and press down with the bottom of a heavy pot and put back in the oven to roast again for 15 minutes. They're almost like crisps and taste absolutely GORGEOUS with a steaming bowl of chilli con carne to scoop! http://latinfood.about.com/od/preptechniqueshowtos/ss/howtotostones.htm

I'd like to come to tea too. I bring wine! Erm's or Honey's. You guys eat and make things I've never even heard of.

P.s. What is harissa paste and what does it taste of?

Me too! I wanna come for tea too :D

Here's the recipe for tostones Peel and cut into thick rings, roast at 200C for 20 minutes, take out and press down with the bottom of a heavy pot and put back in the oven to roast again for 15 minutes. They're almost like crisps and taste absolutely GORGEOUS with a steaming bowl of chilli con carne to scoop! How to Make Tostones Photographic How-to Guide How to Make Twice Fried Green Plantains

Yay, thanks might make that tonight :) How long does plantain stay OK for? I got an already-pretty-ripe one but didn't have time to make it before I went away and its decidedly squishy now. :eek: Should I get another one or will it be OK?

I'd like to come to tea too. I bring wine! Erm's or Honey's. You guys eat and make things I've never even heard of.

P.s. What is harissa paste and what does it taste of?

It' a spicy paste, a bit like a cross between a chilli sauce and curry paste. I think it originates from North Africa. But it goes with all sorts, you can spread it over your chicken before you bake/grill it, or use it to spice up soups and stews, or spread it on crispbreads/toast, in your sandwich or salad or whatever you fancy, its really versatile. Just adds a bit of zing.

Sainsbury's own brand is on offer at the mo, so I bought 8 jars :eek: (they're only small, about 3-4 tbsp each, you'd prob put 1 tbsp on a chicken breast or two in a stew) But it was a bit mad as I was thinking of just making a big jar of my own :eek:

Yay, thanks might make that tonight :) How long does plantain stay OK for? I got an already-pretty-ripe one but didn't have time to make it before I went away and its decidedly squishy now. :eek: Should I get another one or will it be OK?

Hi Erm, welcome back! Tostones are best made with green unripe plantains so if yours are squishy I wouldn't make them as it'll turn into a squishy mess! You can just roast them instead. Slice into 4 pieces (half lengthways and then across) and roast at 200 for 30 - 40 minutes (or 5 mins in your supersonic oven! LOL!)

Did you have a nice time at the wedding?

Last edited:
love ur photo diary....

however i'm a bit confused now...I am doing sw from home. I thought you cant carry your daily hxb & hxa forward to the next day..So if i ever cook food that includes my daily hx's in it...I dont have the left over’s the next day cus I thought u can’t carry the hx's forward?

Seemed very wasteful....have i got it totally wrong?

Hi Erm, welcome back! Tostones are best made with green unripe plantains so if yours are squishy I wouldn't make them as it'll turn into a squishy mess! You can just roast them instead. Slice into 4 pieces (half lengthways and then across) and roast at 200 for 30 - 40 minutes (or 5 mins in your supersonic oven! LOL!)

Did you have a nice time at the wedding?

Oooh right, roasted then, maybe Ill have them for dessert tonight instead! Morroccan soup for tea so yeah, plantain for dessert could be good :)

Yay wedding was lovely! Ive not seen him in four years and never met his now-wife and she's so so nice and funny :) Awww they are soooo in love it's lovely, h is such a kind sweet guy, it is so happy to see them so happy :)

I was not too bad on the food on the wedding day itself, I skipped the starter as it was fish which I dont eat anyway, then the main was meat & veg with a mini-Yorkshire and a smidgen of gravy (about a tbsp) so I ate all that as it was pretty good syn-wise, then I also ate dessert which was a weeny cheesecake. I didn't eat the wedding cake and I didn't have anything at the buffet as we got a bit winkled and went to beddy-byes :D

But then the next day I had the Full English :eek: - 3 sausages, 2 slices bacon, plus beans and mushrooms. Presumably fried, although they didn't taste oily so hopefully weren't *dripping* in syns... but still prett-y baaaaad :eek: didn't touch any of the cakes/pastries etc though so it could have been worse... I was too hungover to face fruit for brekky :D Might have put a bit on, we'll see. I was about 2lb up when I got back but hopefully some of it will go by Weds. It's next week I'm worried about as we're on holiday-yay-yay! :) So Im superfreeing this week!

love ur photo diary....

however i'm a bit confused now...I am doing sw from home. I thought you cant carry your daily hxb & hxa forward to the next day..So if i ever cook food that includes my daily hx's in it...I dont have the left over’s the next day cus I thought u can’t carry the hx's forward?

Seemed very wasteful....have i got it totally wrong?

I dont carry HEXes over but I dont really cook things precisely arranged around my HEXes/syns either, I just cook healthily eg by omitting or substituting sugar/flour/oil etc, and calculate the syns for the whole amount I've cooked and then calculate what portion of that I ate.

So if I made a chicken curry it might have, say:
1 tsp oil (2 syns)
2 tbsp tomato puree (1 syn)
2 tbsp pickle (4 syns) and
500g chicken (27 syns)
Total: 34 syns

So if it serves 3 portions that's 11.5 syns per portion, 9 syns of which is chicken, so can be counted as 1HEXB plus 3 syns.

If I didn't eat all of my portion I just roughly guess how much was left - eg 1/4 of a portion leftover - so with the curry that would be a quarter of 11.5 = 2.875, so call it 3 syns. It's not worth using as a HEX on the next day as it's a miniscule amount. If there are 9 syns worth of chicken in a portion and only a quarter of the portion is leftovers next day that's only 2.25 syns - not worth HEXing, I just use my whole HEX for something else and syn the whole leftovers including chicken etc.

Occasionally if I have a HEX left over I'd just count whatever syns are applicable to the oil & chicken and call them my HEX.

Having said that I do mostly green days and my meat is usually a portion on its own which I'll eat all of, it's not usually in a stew or whatever, so I dont need to calculate like that, most of my leftovers are either free or only contain stuff that will just be syns anyway, such as oil, pickle, puree etc.

I dont really do SW as a list of HEXes and syns that I must cook my food around. I just cook healthily - if you cook healthily your HEXes and syns should be able to fit around your recipes, not vice versa.

Sounds like you had a great time at the wedding and at breakfast the morning after! And it looks like you have a plan to tackle the weekend's indulgences which, as you say, could have been MUCH worse! Well done staying in control, looking forward to some yummy food pics. I'm making a chickpea stew tonight with loads of harissa yum! You might like it!

OMG, I just made a chickpea stew for tea with harrissa in! :eek: This is too scary! :D What recipe was yours?

Oh well might as well post my diary for today now :) :

Monday 22nd - Green
Breakfast: Coffee and toast (1 HEXA, 1 HEXB, 2 syns)
Lunch: Spicy Persimmon and Feta Salad with mixed veg 1 HEXA for Feta
Tea: Morroccan chickpea stew 1 syn for 1/2 tsp sugar and 1tbsp harrissa
Snacks: Apples, satsumas, greengages, pear, cabbage, snap peas, Shape Apple Crumble (0.5 syns)

Gone superfree crazy today to make up for the w/e :eek: :D and prepare for the holiday next week! :) Might go and have a Muller cheesecake in a mo as I've only had 3.5 syns!

This doesn't look very appetising but was actually quite yum:

6070684514_218913619e_o.jpg

And here's *my* chickpea and harrissa stew: :D

6070684644_bfdafc75ee_o.jpg

OMG that is freaky! I remember me and Britmum were cooking perfectly synchronised dinners at one point lol!

The process started yesterday when I soaked my chickpeas overnight. So at lunchtime I boiled it with a bay leaf for 1.5 hours, drained and put in the fridge until tonight.

First thing I did was chop half a large butternut squash into cubes and roasted at 200C for an hour. Meanwhile I browned some onions, garlic and chillies in olive oil (HEB) and added a heaped tablespoon of harissa and 3 chopped plum tomatoes. Seasoned with salt, pepper and a chicken stock cube then added the chickpeas to the sauce and a cup of water. I let it simmer for an hour. After the hour the butternut squash was cooked so I added it to the chickpeas, defrosted and drained some frozen spinach and stirred that in and simmered for another 5 minutes. Served it with couscous and roasted veggies.

Last edited:
Oh yours sounds much yummier than mine! I basically nicked this recipe and added a few bits and bobs to give it a kick as it seemed a bit bland on its own :) I forgot to turn the oven on though :banghead: so *still* no plantain :rolleyes:

LOL!! Maybe tomorrow then. The poor plantains would be begging to be eaten by then!

P.S. Forgot to say I also added a pinch of saffron to the chickpeas but it's not absolutely necessary.

LOL!! Maybe tomorrow then. The poor plantains would be begging to be eaten by then!

Tbh I think they're probably past it :D They have snuffed it. They are ex-plantain. :eek:

Good job my oven normally cremates things anyway :D

LOL!!! Poor snuffed ex-plantains... :( Shall we have a moment of silence?
They had good, albeit uneventful, lives. *head down*

:p

*giggle* y'know, I think I'm gonna stuff em in anyway, as the oven is already on! I will see what becomes of frail, elderly retired plantain...

Back