Erm's Photo Diary

Hi Erm, I'm just looking at this recipe as I'm thinking of making a curry tomorrow.

What are nigella seeds? I don't think I've ever come across these?

They might be also called kalonji seeds. They're little tiny black seeds. They're not essential if you cant get them, but the big supermarkets usually have some and any ethnic store almost definitely will.

Thursday 03rd - Green

Breakfast: Coffee & Toast 1 HEXA, 1 HEXB, 2 syns
Lunch 2: Roast veg soup
Tea: Tex mex lentil & chipotle soup 0.5 syns . Followed by a whole onion squash of chips. Follow by a whole celeriac of chips.
Snacks: Apple, pear, plum. Bag of Tilda lime & coriander basmati rice 2 syns

I don't know what's going on, Im absolutely bladdy ravenous. I have been for the last few days, I keep eating leftovers that are meant for lunch the next day. Today I had my lunch at about 12 as I was hungry and by 3 I was starving again so I had a bag of flavoured Tilda rice that Id been meaning to try for lunch for a while. Then I found out the b/f was going to be out so decided not to cook and just have a box of frozen leftovers. I ate it about 5pm as I was bloddy hungry again and there was not a lot to snack on as its nearly shopping day. I was roasting my elephant garlic anyway to use for lunch this week so I chopped up a squash and bunged it in the oven alongside. Ate the lot and it was still only 5:30! I thought there's no way Im gonna make it til bedtime without needing more food so I chopped up a celeriac as well and bunged that in so there were chips ready if I need them. :confused: What's going ooooooon?

Oh and no piccies as I forgot as the eating was all a bit random. Except of my elephant garlic which I was roasting but havent eaten any of yet:

Elephant garlic!:

6311372195_2448d6313c_o.jpg

Put a bit of chilli flakes and seasoning on some of them:

6311892916_d7a9c75d13_o.jpg

Probably have some of this today spread on some crackers with some of that cumin cheese I havent tried yet:

6311892822_ed5a991654_o.jpg

I get those super hungry days too, it's a mystery to me what brings them on. Likewise days when I don't really eat much (few and far between lol). I guess it's just our body balancing out our food intake. One thing I've learned is to eat what I'm craving rather than eating around it, if you know what I mean. If I'm craving toast & jam, I find a way to work it into my daily plan using syns and HEXs rather than eating fruit or whatever. It's very satisfying when you eat what you crave. As long as it's not cream cakes!

Holy giant garlic Batman!! The good thing (or not so good, depending lol) is that elephant garlic has a delicate flavour. Would be delicious mashed into some cream cheese, spread on finn crisps and topped with chives. Maybe a few sundried tomatoes if you have spare syns... :drool:

I get those super hungry days too, it's a mystery to me what brings them on. Likewise days when I don't really eat much (few and far between lol). I guess it's just our body balancing out our food intake. One thing I've learned is to eat what I'm craving rather than eating around it, if you know what I mean. If I'm craving toast & jam, I find a way to work it into my daily plan using syns and HEXs rather than eating fruit or whatever. It's very satisfying when you eat what you crave. As long as it's not cream cakes!

Holy giant garlic Batman!! The good thing (or not so good, depending lol) is that elephant garlic has a delicate flavour. Would be delicious mashed into some cream cheese, spread on finn crisps and topped with chives. Maybe a few sundried tomatoes if you have spare syns... :drool:

Oooh yum, yeah I was going to have it on some Finn Crisp, I picked up some cumin cheese from the farmer's market that I want to try but Ive also got some Philly Extra Light in the fridge I think, so I could also concoct something out of that... no chives but Ive got a pot of basil I could try? Mmm Ive got to pop out later to get some carrots anyway so I might have a mooch round Waitrose...

Carrots! Whats with me and the carrots?! I admit I eat a lot of carrots :eek: ... I do have at least some every single day, but its getting out of hand! I bought 2 kilos this week and they had run out by Weds!!! :eek:

I had to go *without carrots* yesterday :cry: So Ive just had my lunch (yes ravenous thing again, I had my lunch number 1 at 11:30... :rolleyes: ) and there were no carrots to go in it :( so I grated some mooli up instead. So I have to go a-carrot-hunting... Anyone else have this problem? I have between 1 and 3 for lunch every day depending on what Im having then theres another 3 or 4 in the dinner every night. I'm gonna turn orange! :confused:

Eat enough carrots and you would literally turn orange, no joke! LOL!

Basil would be lovely in your cream cheese mix! I'm dying to hear what you think of the cumin cheese, sounds amazing! Try adding some meat or fish to your lunches to make them more filling. Or maybe do one of your epic lentil salads or hummus? Lentils could keep me going for weeks (not really, but close!)

Eat enough carrots and you would literally turn orange, no joke! LOL!

Basil would be lovely in your cream cheese mix! I'm dying to hear what you think of the cumin cheese, sounds amazing! Try adding some meat or fish to your lunches to make them more filling. Or maybe do one of your epic lentil salads or hummus? Lentils could keep me going for weeks (not really, but close!)

I know, that happened to my friend at uni, carotenemia they call it! (I thought she was mad at the time, *wanting* to eat so many carrots! :rolleyes: ) Heh, her name was Miss Karetti, so we called her Miss Carroty after that :8855:

Yeah I think its just the winter thing maybe? I know my lunches often say "mixed salad" or whatever at the mo, but they are BIG salads, like a whole mixing bowl full and I do put starchy stuff in too like chickpeas or potatoes or beetroot, or Quorn stuff, its not just lettuce :D I just dont spend any time *making* lunch, I grab whatever's in the fridge, chop some up and chuck it in :sigh: Maybe I should make it the night before. Thing is, I'd eat it, that's why there's never any bladdy lunch at the minute, cos its supposed to be leftovers but I keep eating all the bladdy leftovers at tea time! :rolleyes:

The plain 'oaty-biscuit' ones I got from Honey's diary, they're called tostones. You need green ones. Peel and cut into 3/4inch slices and roast in foil until they start to go soft, then take them out, squash them flat (with the bottom of a pan or something) and pop back in the oven (uncovered) to crisp up a bit. They could be done either sweet or savoury really. I did them plain the first time as I was going to use them to eat my curry with, but they've got a background hint of 'sweetness' anyway.

6165375737_5fc5a90bab_o.jpg

The second time I did them sweet so used really ripe ones (blackening-yellow ones). I just cut them into 3/4 inch pieces, coated them well in brown sugar and freshly ground nutmeg and roast them covered until soft and then uncovered until crisp. You dont have to cut them up, just do them whole if you like.

6245746727_4e48f5734e_o.jpg

mmmmmmmm I want them both. Reckon I will do half and half to try them :D it was the top ones I remember but they both sound yummy. thanks so much sweetie, much appreciated :D xxxxx

oh I meant to say wow the size of that garlic. Its bigger than I imagined :eek: xxxxx

mmmmmmmm I want them both. Reckon I will do half and half to try them :D it was the top ones I remember but they both sound yummy. thanks so much sweetie, much appreciated :D xxxxx

Ive got some in the oven right now. They were looking slightly, er, ripe :whistle: so I thought Id better cookem... :D

Ive got some in the oven right now. They were looking slightly, er, ripe :whistle: so I thought Id better cookem... :D

did you nearly kill your plantain again :eek: :giggle: I had this silly vision of you going to buy plantain next time and them growing legs and running away from you :8855: :8855:

mmmmm I am so tempted to go and bake one of mine now :D xxxxx

Friday 04th - Green

Breakfast: Coffee 1 HEXA, mixed fruit & yoghurt
Lunch: Mixed salad 3 syns for dressing; Finn Crisp with roasted garlic cheese spread, cumin cheese & herbs 1 HEXA, 1.5 HEXB's & 0.5 syns
Tea: Spicy veg casserole 0.5 syns for paste; Sweet baked plantain in nutmeg & cinnamon about 1 syn
Snacks: Plums, apple

Had two teas again, was starving by 5pm so had half a bowl of tea followed by a humongous bowl about 7pm

6314882672_645b075692_o.jpg

The plantain were looking a little desperate...

6314882756_22193911e2_o.jpg

Inside they were extremely ripe... :whistle:

6314364603_828b83a0dd_o.jpg

So I slit them in half, sprinkled with 1/2 tsp brown sugar each. plenty of freshly grated nutmeg and baked them in foil for about 20-30min

6314882914_a9c780e507_o.jpg

6314364795_4ba62f6e7c_o.jpg

OMG - these have the potential to be fab-u-lous... :drool:

6314364987_63b9145912_o.jpg

I gave them way too much yoghurt, you really only need a bit, but OMG, sweet and crispy but oozy :drool: absolutely fab to tear up with your fingers and dip in the yoghurt... would use a bit more sugar next time, a teaspoon or maybe even 2, and LOTS less yoghurt, but fab fab fab...

6314364895_6aeb2b2b95_o.jpg

6314365119_9d0d87f4ce_o.jpg

Ommmm, rubbish piccies really dont do them justice... :drool: This is deffo the best plantain Ive made yet. :cool:

Oh, and the roast garlic! Was yummy, Im not really sure if youre supposed to scrape the inside out or use the skin too? So I did both. Better with the skin on I think, it made a great kind of chutney to spread on your crispbread with a bit of cumin cheese (which was also lush!) but also went really well with the Philly Extra light as a kind of dip-come-spread thing! They're very mild, I used two really big cloves in 60g Philly to get much of a garlic taste but it was yum! Definitely more a chutney/dip thing than a garlic paste and really goes with cheese! :)

Doesnt go with basil tho :9529: :D

did you nearly kill your plantain again :eek: :giggle: I had this silly vision of you going to buy plantain next time and them growing legs and running away from you :8855: :8855:

mmmmm I am so tempted to go and bake one of mine now :D xxxxx

Do it when its almost black and roast it like I did last night in brown sugar and nutmeg, served with thick 2% Greek yoghurt with cinnamon, fab fab fab! :drool:

Do it when its almost black and roast it like I did last night in brown sugar and nutmeg, served with thick 2% Greek yoghurt with cinnamon, fab fab fab! :drool:

I am going to try this with my one that is still ripening as I didn't like last nights one :( not very sweet at all... so I shall let it go nearly black and try this, :thankyou: xxxxx

I am going to try this with my one that is still ripening as I didn't like last nights one :( not very sweet at all... so I shall let it go nearly black and try this, :thankyou: xxxxx

Ah boo which one did you do? They are kind of neutral I thought but when you put them with something savoury they kind of have a background sweetness I thought..? But my tastebuds are a bit kaput as people who have tried some of my recipes might have found :whistle: :8855:

Ah boo which one did you do? They are kind of neutral I thought but when you put them with something savoury they kind of have a background sweetness I thought..? But my tastebuds are a bit kaput as people who have tried some of my recipes might have found :whistle: :8855:

The first recipe you showed me... could of course have been my cooking :8855: xxxxx

That 'Plantain Pudding' looks lush! Might see if my friendly local greengrocer can get any in!

(Although from the first photo I was a bit worried that the Phantom Plantain Killer of Old London Town had struck again!) :D

Wow just read this whole thread and love it! subscribing!

Saturday 05th - Green

Breakfast: Coffee & Toast 1 HEXA, 1 HEXB & 2 syns
Lunch: Spicy veg casserole 0.5 syns for paste
Tea: Carrot pancakes with hummus and roast chilli feta
1 HEXA for feta, 1 HEXB for tahini & oil, 6.5 syns for gram & rice flour
Snacks: Pears, apple, Wine about 40 syns

Well these were interesting!

The cheese was yum, scattered it on pepper, chilli flakes

6317912637_e7a037ebda_o.jpg

A drizzle of olive oil, then baked it in the oven for 8 min

6318432706_09566ef87b_o.jpg

Comes out all soft and gooey but spicy and the oil & juice you can use to drizzle over the pancakes! This would be great on crackers or something too.

The pancakes! After I made the mix I was SO unsure about these! It looked so squeeny, I thought my God thats NEVER gonna fill me up! But they rise quite a lot and were surprisingly filling with all the hummus on top!

6318432942_250fafa793_o.jpg

The hummus! Very, very, very thick and creamy. As I wasn't using oil I put quite a bit of chickpea liquid in to get it moving in the processor, but still very thick.

6317912915_4c3a7d507a_o.jpg

Was yum though! Needs editing a bit but this could become a favourite! Needs some garlic, a bit more lemon juice and watering down quite a bit, but definitely worth making again.

Oh and the carrots! :eek: Sliced really, really thinly and roasted in a little salt til slightly crispy, were delish! I nicked a few to nibble on before sending them to the Big Hummus Machine... They would be sooooo fab on a salad, it was almost a shame to whizz them up in the hummus!

Unfortunately we didnt get round to eating properly til quite late by which time we'd snaffled nearly 2 bottles of vino between us... so presentation wasnt high on my list of priorities... :eek: :whistle:

6317913031_240d47907b_o.jpg

(There is a pancake and a pile of hummus under all that salad I swear... :rolleyes: )

Also as it was looking a bit measly at the cooking stage I did some spicy wedges to go with it. As you can see I overdosed a bit on the salad :rolleyes:

Its supposed to look something more like this:

21377_.jpg

:rolleyes:

Back