Erm's Photo Diary

ermintrude said:
I give them 4-5 min parboiling then stick them in the oven til they look 'done' :) About half an hour, forty minutes? Depends how thin you cut them. When they look 'done', theyre done :D

Thank you, going to give these a go tomorrow.
Also While I'm here I just want to say thank you for the spicy tomato and black bean soup. It was delicious x

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Tuesday 20th Mar Red

Breakfast: Coffee & fruit 1 HEXA
Lunch: Hmmm. Well I was at the hospital and walked through the park on the way home so stopped off for lunch. I tried to pick the best option which was lentil soup but when it came it looked pretty creamy and came with bread, butter and a chunk of cheese :rolleyes: I ate the soup (guessing 12 syns) and cheese 1 HEXA (ish ;) ) but I was still hungry so had half the bread roll and half a pat of butter (it might have been wholemeal but I doubt it ;) ). Well I was still hungry so thought 'sod it' and ate the other half thinking Id have a tweaky 2 HEXB and 3.5 syns and all would be well. :cool:

7001164617_a2abb8043d_o.jpg

BUT!!! - then I walked past the ice cream booth and it was such a BEAUTIFUL sunny day... first day of spring! ;) So I had a Tiramisu scoop. And a coffee scoop. :rolleyes: I didn't eat the cone though!!! :8855: And I walked home! :D

6855047436_6541d0a1cc_o.jpg

How many syns are in a scoop d'ya reckon? Well obviously more than a day's worth but hey... :rolleyes: Ooh online says total 15 syns for both! Bargain! :eek: (don't think I believe it :whistle: )

Roll on WI tomorrow!!! :whistle: (At this point I would say "Now now, it's OK on the odd occasion" except I've had "an odd occasion" three days running now :eek: )

Tea: Lentil, potato & kale soup - doesnt look very exciting but ommmmmmm this was DELICIOUS!!! :drool: Just... delicious, I dont use that word very often but I cant think of any other wprd to describe it! Really, really filling, really interesting flavour. The OH loved it too, deffo going on the faves list! :)
Snacks: a bit of pearl barley broth <1 syn for oil

6855031902_c01358c6d2_o.jpg

Lentil, potato & kale soup - doesnt look very exciting but ommmmmmm this was DELICIOUS!!! :drool: Just... delicious, I dont use that word very often but I cant think of any other wprd to describe it! Really, really filling, really interesting flavour. The OH loved it too, deffo going on the faves list! :)
Snacks: a bit of pearl barley broth <1 syn for oil

do you have the recipe for this please?

ermintrude said:
Peppercorn sauce

Ingredients:
- 3 shallots , finely chopped
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp green and pink peppercorns, crushed
- 100ml red wine
- 200ml good-quality beef stock
- 3 tbsp Total 2%

Method:
- Fry the shallots, mushrooms and peppercorns in fry Light for 5 min, until softening and browning
- Add the wine and boil rapidly until reduced by half (about 5 min)
- Add the stock and cook until reduced by two-thirds
- Leave to cool slightly and stir in the yoghurt
- Season to taste and serve

edited from here - it was supposed to have brandy in but I didn't have any and I also wanted to make the sauce in advance and heat it up, so I didnt cook the steak in the same juices like in the recipe.

Erm that steak is still kicking lol!

Celeriac chips. I'm intruiged! I like butternut squash chips lol. This is on my to do list along with your lentil shepherds pie (attempting today!).

do you have the recipe for this please?

This is adapted from Denis Cotter's book "For the Love of Food". Ive only tried 2 recipes out of it so far but both of them were lush!

His stuff tends to be a little bit complicated and he likes to make everything in 2 stages, Im sure you could simplify it, and anyone it is definitely worth the fiddling about :)

For the soup stock:

Ingredients:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, peeled & grated
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 250g dried red lentils
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 litres veg stock

Method:
- Put the coriander, cumin, cloves and star anise in a spice whizzer or pestle & mortar & grind to a powder
- Fry the onion in fry Light for 5 min until softening
- Add garlic, ginger & spices and cook, stirring, for 2 min
- Add lentils & tamarind, salt & pepper and stir to coat, then add stock, cover & simmer for 30 min

(Basically this is a soup stock you can make in bulk and then use as a base for different soup recipes by adding stuff)

For the lentil, potato & kale soup:

Ingredients:
- 1 leek, halved and sliced
- 200g kale, chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded & finely sliced
- 300g potatoes, cubed into 1cm chunks
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded & chopped
- 800ml spicy lentil soup stock (recipe above)*

*I used 2/3 of the soup base (about 1800ml), as it was so thick it stood up all on its own! :confused: The soup stock itself made 3 boxes and one box was about 900ml. I cooked as per recipe but as it was so thick I just threw another box of stock in, it was still VERY thick, this is not a watery soup! :D

Method:
- Fry the leek, chillies & kale in Fry Light for 5-10 min, until softened, stirring occasionally
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes and stock, cover and simmer for 15-20min until tender.

This is not a pretty soup :D But it really was delicious, not in a OMG-divine-way, I cant really describe it, the flavours were really interesting and the texture with the potatoes, kale, leeks and lentils was very unusual and really filling. It is a bit of a faff, pretty much making 2 soups, but once you've made the stock its done, you've only got to chuck the veg in and simmer for 20 min next time, so its also good for quick meals at a later date. I will deffo make more of the stock and freeze it as a batch :) There are other recipes in his book that you can use the stock as a base for too. I think Im really gonna like this book! :)

Well my lovelies, after Saturday's wine, Sunday's double cake fest and yesterday's bread & butter & ice cream I'm really sorry to say :sigh:
I have... LOST 4lb!!!!!!!

:eek: :8855:

AND that means I have lost

30% of my weight!!!

6856360544_8dd59494b5_o.jpg

Club 30 is me!!! :woohoo:

Sadly I am 1lb short of an average fashion model (117 pounds), so that's my goal for next week :rolleyes:

ermintrude said:
Well my lovelies, after Saturday's wine, Sunday's double cake fest and yesterday's bread & butter & ice cream I'm really sorry to say :sigh:

30% of my weight!!!

Sadly I am 1lb short of an average fashion model (117 pounds), so that's my goal for next week :rolleyes:

Well done :D x

ermintrude said:

30% of my weight!!!

Amazing! Well done, almost a third of you gone forever!! X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

30% of my weight!!!

6856360544_8dd59494b5_o.jpg

Wow! Well done!

Hi there. I have just been looking through the pictures in your photo diary. What an amazing array of delicious looking food! I was just wondering whether you have details of the recipes for all of the dishes as I would really love to try them. Thanks. xxx

Hi there. I have just been looking through the pictures in your photo diary. What an amazing array of delicious looking food! I was just wondering whether you have details of the recipes for all of the dishes as I would really love to try them. Thanks. xxx

I've posted lots of them on my diary already if you read through :) If there anything particular you want to try that isn't already listed just let me know and Ill dig it out when I have a minute :)

ermintrude said:

30% of my weight!!!

You superstar!!!!!!! Made me wonder what much %age loss is.

Icecream and all! Genius! So chuffed for you Erm!

ILoveCake said:
You superstar!!!!!!! Made me wonder what much %age loss is.

Icecream and all! Genius! So chuffed for you Erm!

30.6% loss for me..omg omg and I hadn't even realised! Can I please copy your sticker?

Thankyou all *sooooo* much my lovelies, I couldnt do this without you lot on here to answer back to! :D :thankyou:

AND I forgot to say, that means Im officially the lightest I remember being in my adult life!!! Last time I did SW about 8 years ago I got down to 19st 6lb before life went tits up, and this morning Im 19st 4lb! Wooooo roll on the 18's!!!!! :bliss:

well done on 30% - incredible achievement.
I love ur food diary but I'm always hungry after reading it hehe x

Back