Erm's Photo Diary

Mmmmmm just made those risotto cakes from the recipes room, ohhhh my Word :drool: AMAZING, they taste soooooo synful! :eek: Reminded me of eating something covered in batter from the chippie! They're REALLY filling, I ate three with a big salad so one HEX. I was stuffed after 2 tbh :eek:

7002104706_8d723a8da4_o.jpg

Now THAT'S good hangover food :D

Cor that looks really really nice.

It was a bit boring tbh :( The last few DC recipes Ive done have been less good, theyre OK but not things Id bother making again. The first time I went through the book I picked stuff that I really fancied and I was amazed at the way he pull flavours together to create something Ive never tasted before and Ive put them in my faves folder and made them again and again! Then I went through again picking stuff I might not normally choose, just to have a taste of a few new ideas but tbh they've been relatively average. Still love the book though, lots of new ideas in it. The pilaf I made last night was nice but I have no idea why he put the broccoli in it, it wouldve been way better with some fine green beans chopped a little or something, the broccoli (tenderstem) ruined it tbh. :confused: Maybe he meant to just nip the heads, but it didnt say to and there are no pictures so its hard to tell. The cheese, chickpeas and couscous were lovely though. I bought the Cafe Paradiso one on the basis of this but Im gonna sell it again as it seems really dated and not really my thing, not very healthy either. :(

(Oh, and he doesnt half have an obsession with the old aubergines... :rolleyes: )

Heh, I sound like Im slagging him off now eh, no the book is fab! I wouldn't normally try this many recipes out of just the one book, in fact the only ones Im moaning about are ones I would never normally pick anyway!

ermintrude said:
Friday 04th May Green

Breakfast: Coffee & fruit 1 HEXA 1 syn for syrup
Lunch: Quorn curry 3 syns for pickle, <1 HEXB for oil
Tea: Black-eyed beans, aubergines, green beans & peppers in chilli, coconut & thyme <1 HEXA for milk
Snacks: baby tomatoes, sweetfire beetroot, wine, about 40 syns

Lol at wine synnage. I miss wine.

Spicy, Citrusy Black Beans Recipe
Serves 3 @ 3 ladles each as a soup - but you could use less and serve it with rice as a chilli con carne stylee

Ingredients
- 500g dried black beans (I used turtle beans but you can use black eyed beans or whatever you fancy) (You can also use tinned beans if you like but obviously you'll need much less, probably about 3-4 x 400g tins)
- 1.25 litres water
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 3-4 sage leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp Encona chili sauce (plus extra to taste)
- 2 tsp chipotle paste (plus extra to taste) (0.5 syn per tsp)
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, milled/crushed
- 120ml freshly squeezed orange juice (2 syns)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Chopped fresh coriander, to garnish

Method
- Soak beans overnight if they're dried
- When ready to cook: put beans in a large pan. Add 1.25 litres water, oregano, bay leaves and sage. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until beans are soft but not quite done (about 30 min +)
- While beans are cooking, fry onions and peppers until soft.
- Add chilli sauce, chipotle paste, cumin and garlic and stir fry until spices are fragrant.
- Remove bay and sage leaves and discard. And onion mix and salt to beans and cook for an hour until thickened.
- Add half the orange juice and simmer
- Adjust chilli at this point – you may or may not want to add more chilli paste. (I added an extra tbsp Encona chilli sauce and a tsp chiptole paste)
- Just before serving, add remaining orange juice, lime juice,
vinegar and season to taste. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.

(Adapted from recipe here: Spicy, Citrusy Black Beans Recipe | Simply Recipes)

Hope you don't mind but I have copied this recipe over to my diary as it looks divine! Thank you x

Sunday 06th May extra Easy

Breakfast: Coffee & fruit 3.5 syns
Lunch: Risotto cakes with salad 1 HEXA for Parmesan,2 syns for dressing
Tea: Toad in the hole with lush gravy & veg 5.5 syns for Yorkshire pud, 5 syns for sausage (I swear these were half a syn each :confused: ) 2.5 syns for gravy
Snacks: Quorn slices, half a sausage 1 syn, Mini milk 1.5 syns

Hole and gravy was lush, toad less so :( I ordered WW sausages from tesco but they dint turn up, so the OH went off to Sainsburys who didnt have any either! Where are all the sossys? Anyway, he picked these up, but theyre crap, and 2.5 syns each! Boo! :(

7149907579_5855af6851_o.jpg

7149907691_ec41b0112b_o.jpg

Hi Ermintrude,

Sorry to report I was a bit disapointed with Denis Cotter's roasted cauliflower. My local takeaway does a cauli bhaji (like a dry curry, not in batter lol) and I hoped it would be something like that, but alas no.

His recipes do look good so I'll l try some of the others and see what I think.

Ah that's a shame, yeah it wasn't really what I expected either but I thought it was really yum anyway! Oh well I am not known for my tastes matching other people's :D What's your cauliflower bhaji thing like, could we make a SW version?

Oooh risotto cakes sound lush! I love risotto so will need to try these. Do you need to use a mix or could you make a risotto yourself then bake the cakes from that? :D

Monday 07th May Green

Breakfast: Coffee & toast 1 HEXA 1 HEXB 3.5 syns
Lunch: See snacks
Tea: Cannelinni bean soup 1 HEXB for Parmesan
Snacks: Snap peas, baby corn, tomatoes, Quorn slices, Babybel light 1 HEXA Muller wit cherry wotsittery 1.5 syns

7153459155_c3e726fd61_o.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh risotto cakes sound lush! I love risotto so will need to try these. Do you need to use a mix or could you make a risotto yourself then bake the cakes from that? :D

I dont know really, I just got the recipe from the board and it used a packet mix. I imagine you could do your own, I dont really eat risotto tbh so I dont know. Dont see why not though.

Congratulations on your 9st shiny. That is amazing, well done.
While am at it, thanks for all your advice x

Huge congrats on the 9st, thats so fab.

Toad in the hole looks really lovely, def on my menu this week!

Cheers lovelies :) What has happened to all the WW sausages?!?! Went in the THIRD supermarket today for them, its a massivehugemegaenormous Sainsburys and they didn't have any either! Have they gone out of fashion? All been eaten? caught BSE? :confused:

ermintrude said:
Friday 04th May Green

Breakfast: Coffee & fruit 1 HEXA 1 syn for syrup
Lunch: Quorn curry 3 syns for pickle, <1 HEXB for oil
Tea: Black-eyed beans, aubergines, green beans & peppers in chilli, coconut & thyme <1 HEXA for milk
Snacks: baby tomatoes, sweetfire beetroot, wine, about 40 syns

WAIT, did I read this right - aubergines????? Since when. That's a swear word to you isn't it? :p

Oh and super well done on your weight loss so far. What an inspiration

ermintrude said:
Cheers lovelies :) What has happened to all the WW sausages?!?! Went in the THIRD supermarket today for them, its a massivehugemegaenormous Sainsburys and they didn't have any either! Have they gone out of fashion? All been eaten? caught BSE? :confused:

I found them in asda yesterday so def still about - been making scotch eggs with them - super scrummy

Back