Essential items to have in my cupboards- mainly for red days.

wannabeminime

Gold Member
'Ello again!:)

Now i have made the decision to start SW next week, i wanna make sure i have purchased all the necessary bits and bobs that i will need. Please help me by listing anything that you think is essential to have, and anything that you couldnt do without, mainly for red days. Think i will try to stick to red days, at least to start with.:)

Thank you! xx

Tinned tuna is always a good one to have in the cupboard and I like tinned sardines too on toast not everyone likes them but I think they are nice.

crabsticks, tuna as sonban says, fry light, eggs, bovril if you can find any everyone round here sold out.

Bacon
Eggs
tinned tomatoes
very low fat cottage cheese
more bacon
more eggs lol
mullerlight yogurts (although I buy the aldi bio yogurts with wholegrain - they're free too)
tinned tuna in brine (not any oil)
more bacon ;)
salad and veggies
chicken

That's my basic store cupboard.. or the ingredients I buy every week

On red days I love the tinned mackerel in curry sauce, on toast. Steak's nice for a treat too. Asda boil in the bag beef in gravy is free on red, and on Sundays I often have that with veggies and 2 yorkshire puds (5 syns).

what everyone else has said!

Lean mince
more eggs!
cooked meat
Baking potatoes (you can have them as Healthy extras)
Fruit to snack on
Lots of veg
Cheese (reduced calorie if you want, you can have more of that, I buy grated as it goes further and I can't sit and eat great big chunks)

I do green days mainly due to budget contraints! but do do red days at least 2 days a week.

See ya tomorrow :D :DSoooooooo excited!!

On red days I love the tinned mackerel in curry sauce, on toast. Steak's nice for a treat too. Asda boil in the bag beef in gravy is free on red, and on Sundays I often have that with veggies and 2 yorkshire puds (5 syns).

I shop at Asda, so thats really useful! Thanks!

what everyone else has said!

Lean mince
more eggs!
cooked meat
Baking potatoes (you can have them as Healthy extras)
Fruit to snack on
Lots of veg
Cheese (reduced calorie if you want, you can have more of that, I buy grated as it goes further and I can't sit and eat great big chunks)

I do green days mainly due to budget contraints! but do do red days at least 2 days a week.

See ya tomorrow :D :DSoooooooo excited!!

Grated cheese is a good idea!

Looking forward to seeing you! Woowoo! xx

Grated cheese is a good idea!

Looking forward to seeing you! Woowoo! xx

even better - if you buy a block of reduced fat cheese and grate it on the fine grater you end up with a rather huge pile :D

even better - if you buy a block of reduced fat cheese and grate it on the fine grater you end up with a rather huge pile :D

Ah,yes but it has to make it to the grater in one piece!! It's a dangerous journey!!:D

I never used to buy grated cheese but it does stop me having 'just a little bit' until oops, where's the cheese!

I'm a greeny day gal but still thought I'd tell u what I jut cannot do without:- lotza cooked up pasta to pick at / Quorn Bangers dipped in Bovril / (Toffee) Mullers (naturally) / Quark cheese spread type stuff / Ryvitas / Alpen Lite Bars ('spesh chokky-orange) / lotza tins beans - I never do a red day as I love pasta, spuds and beans too much and u can pick at 'em when u want, cos with a red day even tho u get the HE's, it still limits u to how much of the above u can have and as I said b4, it's so easy to nibble at pasta & spuds (and Quorn bangers)!!!!

If you shop at asda you should know they are doing Gammon rounds for £1.00 for 2 rounds and tinned mackerel in tomato sauce 2 for £1.00.. cottage cheese is cheap there too
Pilchards are a cheap red day meal..

Thanks all, this really is sooo helpful! I am away this weekend, then i will do an asda online order ready for my start!

Keep the ideas coming!

Been to my first meeting, and i am now raring to go. Just one question; which gravy is best to buy?? ie fewest syns?? And salad dressings??

Thanks gang!

Don't forget all the amazing quorn stuff you can have on Red days. :) They are free on Green too, which means you can eat "neutral" till tea time and then have whatever you fancy for tea. i.e. Loads of pasta for a green dinner, or a big bacon sandwich/a steak or something.

Tofu is good too. Honest!

Back