Excercising but not losing weight

j70joj

I am really cross, I have started excercising and am not seeing any difference to weight loss. Ok, so my excercise is nothing major, I am walking/power walking/jogging most nights when i take the dog out, for about 30 mins. I hoped it would have a dramatic effect on my weight loss as i have always found it very hard to lose weight but very easy to put it on. Generally my weight loss is slow but hoped this would speed things up.

Any advice.

Thanks xx

Hey

well done on the exercise, regardless of weight loss it's a brilliant thing to do for your overall health and will make a difference to your body.

have you measured yourself? i bet you will change shape and inches!

Thank you, yes you are right, lots of other benefits to excercise other than weight loss.

I will measure myself tonight - not done it for a while.

Woodsylou, I have just read your weight loss. You have lost so much weight in 7 weeks. How have you done it? Have you been following EE or red/green days.

Well done you, i am really inspired. I seem to be going nowhere fast even though i am following the plan, but i am doing EE so maybe need to swap to red/green.

Exercise will not have a dramatic effect on your weight loss. Please, everyone, don't see exercise as a boost to your weight loss - the plans will work alone, exercise has many more benefits than weight loss.

The SW body magic book states that you could expect to lose an extra 1-2lb a month by exercising, that's all - and that's not a given.

Exercise because it's good for you, not because it will help the weight loss. It doesn't unfortunately.

i'm going to agree here the plans do work alone!! i exercised and had a gain! sorry about the rant again! :(

Not the healthiest way but I'd like to say I lost all my weight and have maintained Target without exercising.
I'm lazy. I know it's not good and I need to get out and shift my butt but the plan does work alone.

Not the healthiest way but I'd like to say I lost all my weight and have maintained Target without exercising.
I'm lazy. I know it's not good and I need to get out and shift my butt but the plan does work alone.

despite that your still an inspiration to us girl!:p

aaww ur welcome!! i had a blow out weekend so am nervous about tonights weigh in!! :( on track since then tho!

I've been excerising and also gained but i just see it as your body getting used to something else "different". It takes a while for your body to adjust to excerise and you normally don't start seeing the benefits anywhere up to 6 weeks after.

Grats for getting into excerise, if you keep it up you will start to see the benefits soon:)

I've been adding exercise to my diet and I think it's helping, although that may be psychological, and it also helps keep blood sugar levels stable (not spiking and dipping which can cause hunger pangs apparently).

I've read that it takes 3500 calories used to burn 1lb of fat (if we assume this is over and above diet/normal activity only).

Burning Calories - How to Walk for Weight Control

If you are 180lbs, and walk for 30 minutes a day for, say five days every week at a moderately quick pace, you are burning an extra 94 calories per mile, which at a speed of 3.5 mph for 30 minutes works out at 164 calories per day.

For five days, 5x164 = 820 calories burned by walking in a week.

Take this over one month: 4 weeks x 820 calories = 3280 calories.

That is 3280 extra calories burned per month due to the extra walking alone, which equates to just under 1lb of fat.

A lot of effort for not a huge gain, but the health benefits and the psychological benefits alone make it extremely worthwhile.

Walking Calories Calculator by Pace and Distance

Of course, this info is all from the interwebs, and I have no idea as to its accuracy :D

Woodsylou, I have just read your weight loss. You have lost so much weight in 7 weeks. How have you done it? Have you been following EE or red/green days.

Well done you, i am really inspired. I seem to be going nowhere fast even though i am following the plan, but i am doing EE so maybe need to swap to red/green.

aww thank you so much! i'm so proud of myself! i've just come back from class and lost another 4.5lb! Yay! so pleased! got my 1.5stone sticker and my CLUB 10!!! YAY!

i do a mixture really. I 'try' to have red mostly, and EE at the weekends, but sometimes i forget so go with EE! haha!

i exercise a lot and contray to what people say i think it REALLY helps my weight loss.

cardio burns lots of calories and weight building burns calories even when you're sitting still!

also, if you don't want loose baggy skin once you've lost lots of weight, you REALLY should exercise. it can only help.

xxx

i exercise a lot and contray to what people say i think it REALLY helps my weight loss.

This is great woodsylou, it can help weight loss but the thing is, people expect it to have a massive impact on their losses and are very disappointed when it does not.

That said, you have done incredibly well - and that's a fabulous loss this week :D

thank you! of course it won't make you drop stones on it's own, but it really helps, not just weight loss, but in motivation, how you feel, your body shape and your skin too. the benefits are so good.

I think the best bit about exercise is that it will help tone up all the lose skin as you gradually lose weight. Also it's good for you emotionally as well as physically. If you're in a good mood, you're less likely to eat the wrong kind of foods too. I find you don't want to ruin your hard work with chocolate after a workout!

Exercising will also start building muscle which is healthier than fat but also weighs more, so measuring yourself as well as weighing will give you a good overall picture of your current health.

i spoke to one of the trainers at the gym once and what she said to me is the most important muscle to work out is the heart!! get that sorted and the rest of the benefits will follow, so moderate cardio is the way to go!

I agree with most that you shouldn't exercise to see a weight loss, but to tone you up and improve your overall health. I'm doing c25k and on my off days circuits of sit-ups, push-ups and squats. But I'm not using this to lose weight, more that when I get to target, I should, in theory, be nice and toned and generally a lot healthier.

Back