Excess/Loose Skin - Success Stories?

Trixie Firecracker

A Work In Progress
I'm sure I'm not the only one hear who lives in fear of the dreaded excess or loose skin syndrome once I've attained my goal weight.

So I was just wondering if anyone could actually point me in the direction of anyone/website where someone has actually lost a substantial amount of weight without suffering the ill effects of bingo wings and flabby tummies afterwards?

It's something I've researched and looked into for a number of years and as far as I can see it's all doom and gloom.

The skin doesn't ever "snap" back once it has lost it's elasticity and it appears that no amount of exercise will ever improve it either :(

It's just so depressing to think that after all the hard work you put in to turn your life around and lose the weight that you're rewarded with saggy boobs and ass along with everything else.

Can someone pass on a glimmer of hope to me and I'll be eternally grateful :)

There is always hope hun .It seems to me from what I have read it doesnt matter if you vlcd or ww/sw ect .It has more to do with age, genitics, if you have been over weight for long/short time ,have you yo/yo dieted .There are things you can do to help but if it is going to be then it will only help not solve the problem.Plenty of water keeps the skin hydrated and so has more elastic ability.Mosurising creams/bio oils alll will help to .Tonning exercises help but only to strengthen the muscles so you can pull it in .Sorry this seems like all doom and gloom but many have found that after about a year things have reduced to be more acceptable.All I think have agreed that the weight loss was worth it and would rather have some saggy skin that lug extra stones around .Hope this wasnt quiet all doom and gloom.xxxxFocus on the new thinner figure and been able to buy clothes from trenndy shops on the high street not on what might or might not be a minor problem .

This subject crops up over and over again. You might like to do a search.

As for success stories, well...I've been kinda lucky. Seem to have hardly any despite my age, weightloss etc.

It's just so depressing to think that after all the hard work you put in to turn your life around and lose the weight that you're rewarded with saggy boobs and ass along with everything else.

That's a very pessimistic way to look at it. You are rewarded with a healthy, slim body. If - and I stress if - you get loose skin, surely it's infinitely preferable to obesity and the associated health risks?

Having said that, I haven't had any loose skin, and perhaps I would feel differently if I had - but I do think I'd rather be slim and healthy with loose skin than obese and risking my health.

I've lost just under 5 stone now (can't update ticker until officially weighed on Thursday) and I have no loose skin. There is a bit of wrinkling when I bend over - but I am sure that this will spring back over the course of the next few months - certainly nothing hanging or flapping!!!

Luckily though, I have never smoked and have always moisturised after a bath. This can help! Lots of water too....although with our diets it goes without saying!

That's a very pessimistic way to look at it. You are rewarded with a healthy, slim body. If - and I stress if - you get loose skin, surely it's infinitely preferable to obesity and the associated health risks?

Having said that, I haven't had any loose skin, and perhaps I would feel differently if I had - but I do think I'd rather be slim and healthy with loose skin than obese and risking my health.

I don't think its a pessimistic viewpoint at all, just realistic. I would be depressed as well if I had saggy boobs and ass after working soooo hard to get my body into shape. Its ok to say we are doing it for health reasons, which obviously is VERY important, but most of us want to look and feel good as well.

Trixie Firecracker I completely understand where you are coming from. Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones who ends up with lovely skin....soft as a babys bottom....lol.xx

Shazpaz, I do agree, and I do see where the OP is coming from, but I'm sorry, it is pessimistic, in that it is focusing on the potential negative side effects of weight loss instead of the definite positives. That's the very definition of pessimism.

You only get one body, and you have to work with what you've got. If this means that you end up with saggy skin when you lose weight, then that's a rotten shame and you certainly don't have to like it, but the least productive thing you can do about it is let it make you depressed, and it's most certainly a waste of your precious time to worry about it when it might never happen.

Depending on the extent of the saggy skin, there are things that you can do to improve it. You can build up the muscles underneath to better fill the skin. You can have surgery (okay, not everyone's first choice, but I'm looking at the positives and possible solutions here). You can dress to disguise it. You can say, "to hell with it, I'm here and I'm fabulous, and my saggy skin is proof of who I am, where I've been and what I've achieved, and I love my body regardless of its flaws".

Kate I wish I could think like you! I don't love my body, I dont love all the flaws.....I hate them. I'm not depressed though as I have not got saggy skin, but I know it would get me down if I did. I'm not sure many can feel as positive as you do. There have been a number of posts on this forum from people who are down because of Saggy skin. Charlotte being one of them (hope you dont mind me mentioning you Charlotte!!). They cannot help feeling that way. Good on you for feeling positive like that, but I'm afraid I'm still with Trixie. Re being pessimistic...we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I still feel it is realistic to feel concerned about the saggy skin, not pessimistic.

I'm concerned about loose skin but will deal with it as and when (or if!) it happens. I read a good piece on the internet (sorry don't know where) that says most loose skin is maintained by excess fat under the surface. Elasticity will be affected by lots of things - age, diet, lifestyle etc - but we can help it along. I do think trying to be optimistic will make everything seem a bit better though. :)

Back