Excess skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIFFERS

Anyone else worried about this problem - this would just be the kick in the teeth i usually get for me to get down to my optimum weight and have this - has anyone lost alot of weight and not suffered with this:argh:

There has been lots of discussion round this subject. It is all luck of the draw really, age, condition of skin etc etc. You can do things like use body lotions to keep yourself moisturised and drink lots of water but ultimately if it is going to happen it will. Although give it time as it can take over a year to fully return to its final state so even if you get it initially it could sort itself out with time. I think the way to look at it is that it's better for your health to lose the weight and have the saggy skin than the other way round.

Gx

well love i think you have to look at it like this; would you rather be lovely and slim and yeah maybe have a bit of baggy skin or overweight and fed up? I'm sure the advantages of bein slim are far greater!! I've read other threads on here about this and people say that using bio oil helps your skin say supple so that would help, also if it was a drastic problem for you there are procedures that can be done but I'm sure your worrying about something that may not even be an issue. i've got 10 stone to loose and will defo have flabby bits flappin around but i know i'll be so much better for loosin it! Are you on ss darl?

Yes im on my 6th day of SS and doing well (about a stone) i know ive got a long way to go yet (4 st) but im very positive - even more so now ive found this site!!

Does the weight loss slow when your on AAM?

i have lost over 7 stone i am 44 and am surprised how my skin has gone back. its not perfect but hey who is!!!!

I'm only on day 13 of ss and have lost 13lb's. I'm planning on getting s stone out of the on ss then either going onto oneof the higher cal plans or just going onto a low GI diet, not sure yet. Not seeing my cc for 2 weeks now cos she's away but when shes back that'll be my aamw, not sure how I feel about it really, am worried I won't be able to stop at what I'm allowed. I had a bit of a blip yesterday had a bottle of wine, a piece of my son's pizza ( only a tiny piece) and then a chicken salad with mayo on and grated cheese!!!!!!! don't know what I was thinking really. Back to it today though; been to teso to weigh myself and have still lost 1lb since my weigh in on friday so that makes it 1 stone. xx

Do some toning exercise - swimming is fabulous, or pilates.

I do both.

I also use a bodyfirming lotion and Bio Oil.

Pay attention to your neck area, which needs more help.

You should be fine!

The horrors we see on tv on the likes of 'Ten Years Younger' are from women whom have had gastric bypass or banding done - they have poor nutrition - which accounts for the skin not responding well to the weight loss. With Cambridge you have total nutrition.

Five stones down everyone says how fabulous my skin is and how bright-eyed I am - even my GP remarked on how well I looked!

With Cambridge you have total nutrition.
I wish this wouldnt get quoted like this, it IS not full nutrition! It is supplemented with vitamins It is nutritionally ballanced, this I feel is different to being total nutrition. It has just enough calories to keep you alive and well, but there can be hairloss at the three month mark, etc.

Losing Body Fat

By WLR Dietitian

Juliette Kellow BSc RD

Q: I weigh less than I have for a long time but my body fat has been lower in the past. Surely if I’m at my lowest weight, I should expect to have the least amount of body fat. Can you explain why this isn’t the case?

A: It sounds as though the proportion of fat and muscle in your body has changed over time. When your body fat was lower but you weighed more, it’s likely you had a higher percentage of lean tissue (muscle).

Muscle weighs more than fat, so the more muscle you have, the heavier you will be. It’s why professional athletes or body builders often appear to be overweight according to the Body Mass Index classifications, even though they have a very low percentage of body fat.

In order to achieve your lowest weight, it looks as though you might have lost a lot of muscle as well as fat.

This is usually the result of a very low calorie intake – effectively, your body goes into ‘starvation mode’ and starts using your muscles to supply it with calories rather than using its fat stores, which it tries to protect at all costs.

This is a worry, especially if you’re trying to lose weight, because the amount of muscle you have in your body helps to determine your metabolic rate. Consequently, when muscle mass is reduced, your metabolic rate lowers with the result that you need fewer calories to maintain your existing weight – and therefore fewer calories to lose weight.

Without having any details about your percentage of body fat or lean tissue it’s hard to make specific recommendations, but as a guideline, women should aim for 23 to 28 percent body fat.

In the meantime, doing more exercise will help to increase the amount of muscle you have.

For best results, do a combination of aerobic activities to burn fat and resistance training to build muscle. Having more muscle might mean you end up weighing slightly more, but it’ll give your metabolism a boost so that you can eat slightly more in order to maintain your weight.
Q I need to lose 7 stone and have finally decided to do something about it. However, I’m concerned that once I’ve lost weight I’ll be left with lots of sagging skin, especially around my stomach. I know exercise will help but at the moment I get tired just carrying my bulk around and anything that exerts me causes soreness and rubbing. What do you suggest?

A Well done on deciding to tackle your weight problem. As I’m sure you already know, half the battle is making the decision to lose weight. Now you’ve done that, you’re already well on the way to achieving your goal.

As you have a lot of weight to lose, I suggest you set yourself mini goals, for example, 1/2 stone at a time – achieving these smaller goals will help to keep you motivated. In the meantime, there’s plenty you can do to help reduce the chances of being left with excess loose skin.

You’re right when you say exercise will help prevent sagging skin after weight loss. While you might find it difficult right now, as the weight starts to come off, you’ll gradually feel more energetic and find it easier to exercise. For best results you should combine fat-burning aerobic activity to help shift the pounds with toning exercises to help the muscles shape up.

Once your doctor has given you the all clear to start exercising, I suggest you start by trying to walk as much as you can. As you lose weight and begin to feel fitter, aim to increase the distance and speed at which you walk. Once walking becomes easy, start to introduce a mixture of other aerobic activities such as swimming, cycling, jogging or classes, and toning activities such as light weights.

While fitness experts used to believe that sit ups were the best way to get a flat stomach, they now know you’ll get better results if you work all the muscles in your stomach, sides and back – the core muscles – rather than just the one that helps you bend! Pilates is a fantastic workout for toning these core muscles, as are stability balls which you can buy from good sports shops or over the internet.

Finally, you might like to use a body-firming cream each day to help keep your skin supple and smooth. Good luck!

I wish this wouldnt get quoted like this, it IS not full nutrition! It is supplemented with vitamins It is nutritionally ballanced, this I feel is different to being total nutrition. It has just enough calories to keep you alive and well, but there can be hairloss at the three month mark, etc.

There can be hair loss at the three month mark on any diet.

I think STBG was pointing out the difference between folks who've had gastric banding and those who've lost weight through VLCDs (very low calorie diets)--the difference is the nutritional composition of our 3 Cambridge packets per day. I'm fairly sure she wasn't trying to make a comparison between a reduced calorie diet (so-called healthy eating) and VLCDs.

And at the risk of sounding bolshy, I'm getting pretty fed up of it being implied we're doing it all wrong, doing CD instead of sticking to a 'healthy diet' and exercise regime...

The majority of people who read and make posts on this site are looking for support and encouragement for doing the Cambridge Diet.

There can be hair loss at the three month mark on any diet.

I think STBG was pointing out the difference between folks who've had gastric banding and those who've lost weight through VLCDs (very low calorie diets)--the difference is the nutritional composition of our 3 Cambridge packets per day. I'm fairly sure she wasn't trying to make a comparison between a reduced calorie diet (so-called healthy eating) and VLCDs.

And at the risk of sounding bolshy, I'm getting pretty fed up of it being implied we're doing it all wrong, doing CD instead of sticking to a 'healthy diet' and exercise regime...

The majority of people who post on this site are looking for support and encouragement for doing the Cambridge Diet.

Totally agree with Lily.....................if you can't post supportive commments then please leave it to those that do!

I tend to agree, whilst I fully understand that CD wasn't for you Gnome I do feel that you come across as on a bit of a crusade to dissuade everyone else from doing it. You've made your choice and we've made ours.

G

well said Porgeous!

I tend to agree, whilst I fully understand that CD wasn't for you Gnome I do feel that you come across as on a bit of a crusade to dissuade everyone else from doing it. You've made your choice and we've made ours.

G

Exactly!

I know CD isnt for me, not at all but by the same token I think there is no question that its an amazing diet.

While I LOVE WW I wouldnt dream of coming on here and telling people they should do it, as I wouldnt expect people to come onto the WW section rubbishing it.

We all have to decide what diet works for US, not for anyone else, the diet that works for me, could be someone elses idea of a disaster and vice versa, the important thing is we're happy with what decision we've made and respect the decision made by other people.

The key thing is the title of the forum 'Weight Loss & Support'

Losing weight successfully is a long and hard enough task without the feeling that you or your choices are being critisised

G

Well said!

I wonder if GG is working for another Company to rival CD?

It is beginning to look that way to me!

A vast percentage of people experince no hair loss whatsoever on CD.

I haven't lost any and I am nearly finished Month 4.

Regarding the published article - I cannot do aerobic workouts, I cannot use weight machines, I am disabled.

I am quite sure you must work for a rival Company to CD.

Quite frankly if you don't like CD as a diet why come here and read the posts?

This is usually the result of a very low calorie intake – effectively, your body goes into ‘starvation mode’ and starts using your muscles to supply it with calories rather than using its fat stores, which it tries to protect at all costs.

This is a worry, especially if you’re trying to lose weight, because the amount of muscle you have in your body helps to determine your metabolic rate. Consequently, when muscle mass is reduced, your metabolic rate lowers with the result that you need fewer calories to maintain your existing weight – and therefore fewer calories to lose weight.

Does this bit not frighten you?? that your body is burning your muscles up because it uses fat stores last??, Im getting abit annoyed at the ganging up that i have recieved, I feel that I am making a valid point, yes you will get results by in effect starving yourself, and yes you will lose weight, but how can you be so sure at what kind of weight you are losing, ever wondered why men lose more weight then women on this diet, it is because they have more muscle and muscles are what burns fat. you c an make me the baddie, but you wouldn't all get hett up if you wasnt slightly worried, believe me, I want t lose weight as much as the next person, but i feel now I have a very good understanding of how the body works, there are too many unresolved issues as to what my body is burning! and yes you are all right, your choice.

And i dont work for a rival company lol, I suppose having an opinion which is different from everyone elses, is not good, I thought this was a discussion forum???? As for disability, well, I accept that some exercises you cant do, but surely not all exercise is banned???? just a question.

I think you need to do some more research as Cambridge does not send your body into starvation mode and the high protein levels prevent loss of muscle. I fully investigated all research into VLCD's before starting.

I too thought long and hard and done research b4 deciding to do the cambridge, on the whole its not a diet that ppl would do without thinking long and hard about it first, i have done 21 weeks of cd now and have not lost any hair at all from it and can safely say that i feel 200% great on doing the whole cd thing and would whole heartedly recomend it to anyone that wishes to loose weight

Hear hear ladies, I don't go on the other areas of minimins as I am un-informed and ignorant of their diets. I do know something about WW but I wouldn't dare comment as I am not an antagonistic person.
Positive comments only helping each other please, if you have anything negative to say there are better ways to put it.

when i read your initial reply gnome i felt a bit uncomfortable and was quite shocked. As all these other ladie's have pointed out we have all thought long and hard about embarking on this diet and have done our research- as a conclusion we are all happy that any disadvantages outweigh the advantages! I had Bowel Cancer 4 years ago and have been tod by my consultant that by remaining so overweight I am inviting it back so this diet is my saviour if you like! I don't think you should feel that poeple are ganging up on you they are just letting you know that they knowwhat they are doing and negativity is really unhelpful. !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back