• At Home

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • At Gym (etc)

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Bit Of Both?

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

Konvictz

so i always thought doing exercise at home was the best.

but that involvs running outside, and when im at uni thats ok, but at home, i dont wanna be seen running around outside lol.

i got weights at home but nothing amazing like the gym.

so im gonna start going gym, regularly lol. on my own. i dont know anyone who'll go with me, and the people who go already, theyre more like body builder type, i dont wanna get in their way.

i gave my gym membership up, but i like a bit of the treadmil and a bit of the classes like aerobics ect

i did try running round the estate , but get boring really, plus u get people drive past beeping ect which puts me off

I would like to have a bash at aqua aerobics tho

lol people beeping at you?...hmm ive never had that problem, probably because im a guy.

yeah i go out with this girl, and she gets beeped as drivers go by.

i been gym before, but never regularly. oh well, see how it goes, if i dont loose weight at this age then whats the point. i wont need to be fit when im older i feel.

and i already feel older. and i feel that as soon as university is finished, i have to move on. with life and stuff.

lol people beeping at you?...hmm ive never had that problem, probably because im a guy.

yeah i go out with this girl, and she gets beeped as drivers go by.

i been gym before, but never regularly. oh well, see how it goes, if i dont loose weight at this age then whats the point. i wont need to be fit when im older i feel.

and i already feel older. and i feel that as soon as university is finished, i have to move on. with life and stuff.

Won't need to be fit when you are older? Oh yes you will!! It's even more important. I'm 62, and very conscious of keeping fit and well and independent. I walk a lot, and my trainer at the gym gives me lots of exercises which improve stability and balance. And I go to Tai Chi and Line Dancing classes where some of the people are in their 80s - they don't think they are too old!

An interesting fact for you all......

Only 2% of the UK population will ever use a gym. That leaves 98% of the UK population exercising at home, at local church hall classes etc or not at all.

Im doing my PT Diploma and one of the main principals we need to get across to clients is that the venue isn't important, its the quality and quantity of the exercise being done.

So......dont panic about the gym, have a chat with one of the instructors and ask them to write you a programme. Dont worry about the 'Body Builder' types, they are more interested in looking at themselves than looking at you :p

If you want to save money there is so much you can do outside of the gym that is still effective. If you want any specific advice feel free to drop me a message telling me your goals and i can point you in the right direction.

Good luck with your exercise and i hope you keep it up long term :)

yeah i think ive been demotivated by people around me about keeping fit when im older, most people i know that are married with kids that have gotten older are so relaxed and laid back (in terms of physical exercise)...yeah i really dont wanna be like them when im older, i would like to be active and have a decent body. i remember george best in the years before he died, even though his diet throughout his life was very bad, he always used to look in very good shape.

and my goal is to just cut up, aswell as building muscles at the same time. not huge muscles, just a body with less fat. so basically im not interested in my weight, i just wanna loose fat. and from what people have told me here the best way to do this is to weight lifting, and then running.

i used to do weight lifting for a few years when i was 11, (because of high school and girls and stuf, im just being honest)...and then about 3 years later i stopped. so ive got a bit of muscle, especially my stomach, it stil is a little hard if i tense it. but ive got a lot of fat now as well. chicken and chips is very cheap round here lol...

I bought a cross trainer so I do that in front of a DVD or the TV. Also do Wii Your Shape (hard work outs) or Wii Fit. Everyone I know is pushing me to go swimming/aqua aerobics because I've knackered my knee which I would if I had enough confidence to leave the house but I don't!
The gym takes willpower to get up and go out in the cold/dark and I don't have any, so much easier to do it at home!

I used to belong to a gym, but it's 5 miles away and the trainers were more geared up for the young and beautiful! It didn't open early enough to do a workout before work and was far too busy after.
I invested in a Wii and use the EA sports active games. Just like having a personal trainer, I can roll out of bed and start straight away, I'm saving petrol and gym fees and I wouldn't have been able to get to the gym for the last 2 weeks as it's been wall to wall snow and ice.

I really like the Wii fit & Nell Mcandrew does a brilliant dvd with a really good aerobic work out :D:D

I found the gym was motivating but i wasnt recieveing any losses from it. I never loose if i do any type toning/using weights/ building muscle.. and i still had weight to lose then.

Since then i have joined anj aquafit lesson.

55 mins once a week. Its absoloutly fab. Not too much hard work.. gives good results, such a laugh and for £4 a time, i think its worth the money and so much better than a £40 gym membership...

Home exercise is fine but i could never go jogging etc. I dont have the motivation and im still to embarressed, plus im a whimp when it comes to cold.. i could only be fit in the summer! xox

I just bought the wii just dance hoping that will get me a bit fitter and also have fun with the kids:)

and my goal is to just cut up, aswell as building muscles at the same time. not huge muscles, just a body with less fat. so basically im not interested in my weight, i just wanna loose fat. and from what people have told me here the best way to do this is to weight lifting, and then running.

If im being completley honest, just weightlifting and running wont help you loose fat, it needs to be a combination of specific exercise for specific muscle groups, focusing on the major muscle as these burn the most calories.

Weight lifting alone will give your muscles tone and shape, however, if the muscle is covered by fat then you wont see the result. You may be solid underneath but until the fat is burnt you wont see the 'cut' you are after.

I would plan your programme so your time is split into 70% interval cardio training if you want fat loss and then 30% concentrating on sepecific calorie burning resistance such as squats, lunges, clean and presses etc. These really get the heart rate up and burn calories as you are using the larger muscle groups.

You can concentrate on getting the 'cut' once your body fat % is at an appropriate level, you can then really start to work on the shape and tone of other muscles. Im guessing you want big guns right? :p

Managed to get an exercise bike on Freecycle (now Freegle in my area), so you may want to look on there for a free one :)

I pay my gym membership each month and get to use the gym, classes and swimming as much as i want. I find the gym gets boring but handy if i have limited time. Classes are fun and time flies by. Swimming is my fav though.

I bought a treadmill after my second son was born (reebok i-run) and I use it 3 times a week, its much easier for me than getting to a gym and I really enjoy it. But I also go to a yoga class once a week - it is brilliant and I try to go to body pump once a week too in my local leisure centre but I dont always have the time.

you know i used to run and loved it, i'd blast my ipod even though i hated running so pple could see me more so i waited until dark! was going to run london marathon and everything but got an injury

i dont know if classes at the gym are best, yoga, swimming and pilates are best, the ones that don't put so much strain. i bought pilates for weight loss for dummies off amazon dead cheap.. about 2 or 3 quid so will try that.... soonish

Back