Exercise - couch to 5k

Abbysmum

What exercise do you do to help improve your fitness and increase your weightloss?

I used to be quite sporty, loved playing football and tennis but after injuring my heel haven't been able to play for 3 years or so and I've seen the weight pile on. I'm considering attempting the couch to 5k running plan but have always found running quite boring though, and wondered whether anyone has done this from being a couch potato like me to being able to run 5k.

I think I've got used to not doing any exercise it's even harder for me to get off my bum and motivate myself to do it.

Can you share any inspirational stories to get me off my bum??

Might not be much help, but the only way I have managed to run and enjoy it is by running with my dogs. There is no way I would have had the confidence to run if it wasn't for having one of my dogs with me. I also imagine I would get bored very quickly if I didn't have a doggy companion :D Just thought I'd mention it in case you do have a dog or a friend who has a suitable one you could 'borrow' ;)

Im not quite at the 5k running (I dont run unless Im being chased and fear for my life!). Instead I have opted for things that I do enjoy like walking (climbed Snowdon and Scarfel Pike already and plan on Snowdon and Ben Nevis later this year). I teach jive, so love to dance. I swim and I also go to the gym to work on my leg exercises.
All this from someone who thought that walking from her front door to her car was exercise!!

I am on week 3 of the couch to 5k program :) finding it ok so far the way I do it is have my stuff ready so that when I get up my trainers ect are what I put on, no lounging in pjs then I go downstairs get a glass of water eat a small banana go to the loo and I am out the door. It says 3 times a week but I am doing every other day means one week its 4 and the other 3. So far so good I did find when I started though saying to myself I am never going to be able to manage next weeks challenge adding that 30 seconds and this week I said I am never going to be able to run for 3 mins but I did :D now I am saying to myself I am never going to be able to run 5 mins non stop next week hoping I do though. Its a tried and tested plan and does work (or so i'm told). I am doing the race for life in June 5k and I didn't want to walk it I wanted to prove to myself I can run it. My Mum has terminal Cancer so it is really important to me to achieve this and raise some money for a cancer research :)

Why dont you enter a race that way you will feel as tho you have to get out and run after all who wants to have to walk a race when they can run it and feel that they have acheived something :)

Might not be much help, but the only way I have managed to run and enjoy it is by running with my dogs. There is no way I would have had the confidence to run if it wasn't for having one of my dogs with me. I also imagine I would get bored very quickly if I didn't have a doggy companion :D Just thought I'd mention it in case you do have a dog or a friend who has a suitable one you could 'borrow' ;)

We have a springer spaniel (she's 10 months and full of beans) so I have been taking her for walks which has got me out more, now the better weather is here I'll definately be taking her on longer walks. I was wondering whether I could combine walking with her and starting this running plan but she's not quite recall trained yet so I can see that ending in tears!!

I can't run for toffee, and feel like a fool when I try. I can't afford the gym or swimming unfortunately, so I'm walking, extending the route every week, and using my dance mat, though I'd love to get fit enough to run

I am on week 3 of the couch to 5k program :) finding it ok so far the way I do it is have my stuff ready so that when I get up my trainers ect are what I put on, no lounging in pjs then I go downstairs get a glass of water eat a small banana go to the loo and I am out the door. It says 3 times a week but I am doing every other day means one week its 4 and the other 3. So far so good I did find when I started though saying to myself I am never going to be able to manage next weeks challenge adding that 30 seconds and this week I said I am never going to be able to run for 3 mins but I did :D now I am saying to myself I am never going to be able to run 5 mins non stop next week hoping I do though. Its a tried and tested plan and does work (or so i'm told). I am doing the race for life in June 5k and I didn't want to walk it I wanted to prove to myself I can run it. My Mum has terminal Cancer so it is really important to me to achieve this and raise some money for a cancer research :)

Why dont you enter a race that way you will feel as tho you have to get out and run after all who wants to have to walk a race when they can run it and feel that they have acheived something :)

I'm really sorry to hear about your mum.

Entering the Race for Life might just be the motivation I need, thanks for the idea I'll go and have a look at the website. I would have to get fit then, like you I wouldn't see any achievement in walking I'd have to get fit.

thanks

We have a springer spaniel (she's 10 months and full of beans) so I have been taking her for walks which has got me out more, now the better weather is here I'll definately be taking her on longer walks. I was wondering whether I could combine walking with her and starting this running plan but she's not quite recall trained yet so I can see that ending in tears!!

Yay for a nutty Springer Spaniel :p According to the CaniX site (CaniX UK: cani-cross, running with dogs) she is too young to compete in their races because a dog isn't developed enough to race. But she is almost at the right age and she would obviously have to train before she could enter a race-this is hypothetical btw, just explaining the age restriction :) Might be worth a quick chat over the phone with a vet nurse and explain that you would like to start running with your dog. It's probably the best time as you will both be learning and training at the same time, both from beginners-if that makes sense. Don't worry about the recall when running as it's best for them to be on a lead anyway. Maybe when she's used to the running and her recall is better she will be able to run off lead. But, again going from the CaniX rules, the point of CaniX is that the dog pulls you along and helps you run ;)

Sorry for such a long post :rolleyes:

Hi all
Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon :) I started training for R4L (mines in June) after Christmas with my uber fit bf but now he's hurt his knee and I've lost all my mojo! I ran for 1.5miles tonight but it was a major struggle so got home downloaded COuch to 5K programme.
How do you find it? I'm actually looking forward to getting started on it now.

Hi all
Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon :) I started training for R4L (mines in June) after Christmas with my uber fit bf but now he's hurt his knee and I've lost all my mojo! I ran for 1.5miles tonight but it was a major struggle so got home downloaded COuch to 5K programme.
How do you find it? I'm actually looking forward to getting started on it now.

Hello, glad it's not just me attempting this :)

I went for my first run yesterday, I joined up with a free running group for women aimed at beginners and really enjoyed it although things ache today. I'll also be doing the couch to 5k plan as I need to run more than once a week. I've downloaded a free podcast from itunes from a guy who has created podcasts for each week of the couch to 5k plan, he plays music/talks you through it as you're running/walking so you don't need to keep your eye on a watch - I'll be giving this a go tomorrow and will report back!

Good luck with your running

Back