Exercise - crooked thinking

Spanglymum

Gold Member
Can any of you give me some tips and suggestions re fitting exercise into my week please? I love all sorts of things: the gym, swimming, yoga, walking, fitness classes - but I always seem to put it off (having said that, I made a firm plan with my hubby that I could go to yoga tomorrow morning, so that will happen!)

Thing is, as some of you will know, I have two small children, a disabled husband, and a full-time job. Even though I know exercise is essential (and I enjoy it!) I end up with the following crooked thoughts:

I'm too tired
Hubby needs me at home
It's selfish of me to take time out of the family weekend
I get too wound up to sleep if I exercise in the evening
I have to put the girls to bed and get dinner so dont have time in the evening anyway
I can't get up any earlier because I'm usually up by 5:30-6am anyway as my hubby wakes up early, as do the girls

Help!!

When I was single, years ago, I used to go to the gym, swim, and walk and really found it helped me maintain my weight where I wanted it. Any suggestions?!

Actually, having posted that I already feel better. I know the answer. As the slogan goes: 'just do it!'

I'm really good at scheduling my busy work time. Just need to apply the same organisation and commitment to my 'me' time! Will book in to yoga for tomorrow and one other class for next week, to get me started.

Still would be interested to hear how you all manage with this issue!

Hey Spangly one... :)

It is an issue with me too, and I have the same sort of thought processes which get in the way, so understand your predicament... Mind you, I have no kids or husband, so really have no excuse at all! ;)

I do Zumba 2 nights a week, and I pay for each month in advance, which makes me feel committed to have to go... I have also built a good relationship with my instructor and actually feel I would be lettering her down if I didn't go, which motivates me no end...

In fact, I now pick her up on route to class as she doesn't currently have a car... so I have to go, or the class wouldn't have an instructor!! Lol...

I think you know what you need to do, although there is a time restraint on you, which I can see must make it hard... But maybe lunchtimes would be good for you? You could split your time where you usually just eat, to go to the gym for 1/2 the time and spend the other 1/2 refuelling? It is a case of just getting into the habit, then you'll be fine! Just like I'm sure you found when you used to do go... :D

Good luck, and yeah, we all gotta just do it!! We can, we have, and we will again!

I'm currently trying to motivate myself to take up the 'Couch to 5K' running thingy... Think I'll start today!

xx

Last edited:
It's tricky isn't it. I'm not married don't have any children and still I struggle to fit my exercise into my daily routine. My work is so unpredictable so I can't always go to my usual classes.
I find my exercise dvd's a blessing. 30 Day Shred and David Kirsch 7 Day Prescription only take max half an hour and are thoroughly enjoyable yet intense. That's def an option if you can't get out of the house. I'm sure you can get yoga, pilates etc on a DVD too.
How old are your kids? I'm sure you're already doing it but how about taking them swimming or bike riding? It's fun and you get to spend time with the babies!
The bottom line is, like you already pointed out, you just gotta do it!
Honestly I know myself that sometimes I'm so tired I just can't be bothered still I make a mission out of it to get up a bit earlier and put my DVD on or drag myself to the gym after work. The funny thing is no matter how tired or lazy I was before doing my exercise, 100% of the time I feel amazing after! It is sooo worth it. For many reasons and the longer you do it the easier and more routine it becomes.
Also maybe getting an exercise buddy might be an option for you.
Regardless of what it is I know you will figure it out. I just know it!
:)

Sent from my iPhone 4 using MiniMins

Funny you mention the 30 day shred, Magda, as I was looking at that on Amazon this morning on the way to work! Might just have to give it a go - people rave about it. My daughters are 6 and 2 - so it's really the two-year-old who holds me back if anything as I have to make sure my hubby is well enough to look after her.

I have booked in for yoga tomorrow, and for my (long overdue) gym induction refresher on Monday (bank holiday!) at 8am. Get me! :D I know that to make this work I just have to BOOK these things into my diary and make them non-negotiable.

Could you be one of those s****y workers who say- but darling I simply have to exercise at lunch time or I can't possibly commit to the afternoon ?
Just a thought x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I recommend the 30 Day Shred.

As for having a very young child, would it be possible to have the older girl stay at home (I am the oldest of 5 and it seems to me that the older children are lower-maintanance ;) ), and then put the wee one in a stroller and go for a speed-walk? You could even go walking with the stroller and have your oldest take her bike (making lots of assumptions that you have strollers and bikes) and go back and forth along the path or sidewalk while you speedwalk or jog. My parents have done little things like this, and my mom even used to have a baby seat screwed on to the back of her bike that my youngest sister used to ride in... unless your little one is a peanut, though, 2 years might be a bit heavy.

You have a really excellent attitude about exercising and I wish you the best of luck! :wavey:

Interesting deletion there ... for s****y read posh and glam lol

I have ordered the Shred! I hear it's very effective (but slightly scary!). Will let you know how I get on.

I also went to yoga on Saturday - first time in weeks - and loved it. This morning I have a gym re-induction at 8am! I've also been through the class timetable and have found some evening ones I'm going to go to. I realised that's actually a v sensible time for me, given how busy my days are!

I'm still planning on the MS 5k too - just needed to give myself a firm talking to and GET STARTED!!!

Thanks for all your posts. Really helped me!

I love 30 day shred, although not done it in ages. I dont know if you have an iphone or not, but invest in the nike+ 3gs ap its about £1.59 i think. I've created a lap around the block which is only 1.13 miles but takes me about 10 minutes to do and burns 130 cals. So i know if I wanted to I have a super quick way of burning around 1 pack if I want to. Good Luck hun xx

Back